SiouxSports.com Forum

Prospective Recruits

dagies

Holy cow he is going to have to get on the Tyler Arnason Diet of Big Macs and Double Quarter Pounders with cheese. :glare:

Sounds good, just keep him off the "Fats Fornier" dunkin donuts diet. And hope he doesn't have the attitude of either Arnason or Fornier.

Add Jake Mccabe one of the top Defense in WisconsinLINK

Add him as someone we're interested in, you mean?

The link only says that we're one of several.

However, my hunch says he goes to UNO. Why?

1. His first visit was to UW (unofficial) and that's it. He now knows what's going on with UW Madison and is probably going to be steered away.

2. UNO is now headed by a great head coach and is in a position that they'd benefit more from McCabe than UW or even the others mentioned. It's not that he wouldn't be good on the other teams mentioned, it's just that he probably would have a bigger impact sooner on UNO's team than on others.

3. Most importantly, his older brother is going to be a freshman there this fall.

He'll go to UNO. If not there, then who knows.

Add him as someone we're interested in, you mean?

The link only says that we're one of several.

However, my hunch says he goes to UNO. Why?

1. His first visit was to UW (unofficial) and that's it. He now knows what's going on with UW Madison and is probably going to be steered away.

2. UNO is now headed by a great head coach and is in a position that they'd benefit more from McCabe than UW or even the others mentioned. It's not that he wouldn't be good on the other teams mentioned, it's just that he probably would have a bigger impact sooner on UNO's team than on others.

3. Most importantly, his older brother is going to be a freshman there this fall.

He'll go to UNO. If not there, then who knows.

I'd say that it is a little early to predict that he is going to UNO because his brother is going there. You don't know if they get along. Some brothers want to play together and some don't. But even if they did, they would only have 1 year together and only if Jake goes directly from high school to college. More and more players are playing at least 1 year of juniors past high school. So they might not have a chance to play together anyway. He may decide to go to UW because that has always been a dream, no matter what kind of competition they have for spots. Or he may decide to go to one of the other schools for whatever reason. So I think that a little more information might help before you make a prediction.

I'd say that it is a little early to predict that he is going to UNO because his brother is going there. You don't know if they get along. Some brothers want to play together and some don't. But even if they did, they would only have 1 year together and only if Jake goes directly from high school to college. More and more players are playing at least 1 year of juniors past high school. So they might not have a chance to play together anyway. He may decide to go to UW because that has always been a dream, no matter what kind of competition they have for spots. Or he may decide to go to one of the other schools for whatever reason. So I think that a little more information might help before you make a prediction.

He is also small which leads me to believe he'll play a year in juniors so he probably won't have the opportunity to play with his brother.

Good point.

• 2 weeks later...

It is the same Darren Turcotte who played in the NHL and played his Major Junior Hockey with the North Bay Centennials. When Darren signed with North Bay his father moved to the city so that he could watch his son play. Thanks to the Turcottes, there was a steady stream of US born talent that played for the Centennials in the 80s, including the Hatcher brothers. The Turcottes owned and operated a sports memorabilia shop in the city for many years and still reside there to this day.

Funny:

Head Coach: Darren Turcotte, North Bay, Ont.

I'm assuming this is Darren Turcotte from Boston, who coaches in Ontario, but still looks funny seeing this on the roster.

Goaltender Zane Gothberg commits for 2012.

One of the top boys high school hockey goalies in Minnesota is heading to UND.

Thief River Falls' Zane Gothberg verbally committed to play for the Sioux on Friday night, choosing UND over Minnesota and Denver.

He likely will arrive on campus in the fall of 2012.

I'm just really antsy and excited to play for UND, said Gothberg, whose grandmother was an occupational therapist at the school for 38 years. Growing up, I obviously loved watching the Sioux games at the old Ralph. I've had green blood flowing ever since I was young.

http://www.grandforksherald.com/event/article/id/126834/

• 2 weeks later...

I've got two more names for you guys...

-1992 born forward Sahir Gill of the Chicago Steel (by way of the Vernon Vipers of the BCHL) is deciding between you guys, the goofers, and BU.

-1991 born forward Seth Ronsberg of the Winkler Flyers (by way of the Minnesota Owls of the MnJHL) is an admitted UND fan. He was the best player in the MnJHL has a 17 year-old, so there's reason for optomism there. Keep an eye on what he can do in the MJHL to see if he's Sioux worthy.

I've got two more names for you guys...

-1992 born forward Sahir Gill of the Chicago Steel (by way of the Vernon Vipers of the BCHL) is deciding between you guys, the goofers, and BU.

-1991 born forward Seth Ronsberg of the Winkler Flyers (by way of the Minnesota Owls of the MnJHL) is an admitted UND fan. He was the best player in the MnJHL has a 17 year-old, so there's reason for optomism there. Keep an eye on what he can do in the MJHL to see if he's Sioux worthy.

Ronsberg is big. The article says he's from Lake Elmo, MN. He was the MnJHL's leading scorer and Most Valuable Player last season

http://www.mnjhl.com/

"