SiouxSports.com Forum

Prospective Recruits

dagies

Not too sure about the other names, but I would think the Sioux have a great shot at landing Colin Wilson, son of Carey, former Calgary Flame star.

I hope TNT is right in thinking the Sioux have a great shot at landing Wilson. According to ISS he is ranked fifth overall for the 2008 NHL draft.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/feature/?fid=7006&hubname=

I've read where he's from Winnipeg but he plays for US NTDP and lists his hometown as Greenwhich, Connecticut. I know someone (Vegas?) has mentioned him before on this board. Does anyone have any insight on this kid.

If David Toews and Tessier suit up for the SIoux I can't wait to hear the crap from the Gopher fans. They were pretty tough on Bochenski based on his incident, but this one would be interesting.

I wouldn't mind the crap from Gopher fans, as long as David and Kelsey are lighting it up against them. :D

If David Toews and Tessier suit up for the SIoux I can't wait to hear the crap from the Gopher fans. They were pretty tough on Bochenski based on his incident, but this one would be interesting.

Yeah and we would do the same if they played for a rival....Mistakes are magnified when you are an athlete and put in the spotlight no matter what age the incident occurred.

Heisenberg has his 2007 Recruit Page up.

A couple that pop out at me, that I'm sure have been mentioned here:

Ben Blood-D Shattuck St.Mary's 6'1 180 3-15-89

Jeff Foss-D Moorhead 6'2 180 12-12-88 (another Moorhead kid)

Mario Lamoureux-LC Tri-City (USHL) 5'11 180 6-18-88

Colin Wilson-LC USNDPT U-18 Team 5'11 180 10-20-89 (I think Vegas said he is from Winipeg)

Jason Gregoire-LW Winnipeg So.Blues (MJHL) 5'11 175 2-24-89 (Vegas?)

David Toews-LC Colorado Outlaws 5'11 170 6-7-90

Kelsey Tessier-C Colorado Outlaws 5'8 150 1-16-90

Jordy Murray-RC Shattuck St.Mary's 5'8 155 1-8-90

Where is Zajac's other brother playing?

Is David Toews, Jonathons brother? and is Jordy Murray, Brady Murrays brother? just checking

Is David Toews, Jonathons brother? and is Jordy Murray, Brady Murrays brother? just checking

Yes and Yes.

David's claim to fame was that the Tri City Americans (Jonathan's WHL rights belong to them) targetted David as a ploy to get Jon to sign with Tri City. They claimed that David's stock would fall drastically if Jon didn't sign the contract. Tri City was right, IIRC, David was selected in the 5th round (or maybe he is projected as a 5th rounder in the WHL bantam draft). David plays a different game than Jon. It's similar to Travis and Darcy Zajac.

Jordy Murray is Brady's younger brother. He was just invited to try out for the U18 NTDP team. He's very small (5'8" 155) but he's got speed. Some say that Brady is the more talented Murray. I don't recall if the results of that tryout. So far, I can't find any info regarding success for Jordy as far as the U18 team is concerned.

Someone had asked several months back what impact Toews and Tessier had on the Colorado Outlaws season. Their season turned around dramatically and in this article their goaltender, whose dad is a personal friend of mine, suggested turnaround was due to a coaching change. :lol:

http://thescoutingnews.com/content/view/492/2/

hey guys, i dont know if anyone has heard of nate schmidt, but he played for st cloud cathedral in minnesota as an 8th grader this past season. i havent had a chance to see him play ever, but i hear he really has some talent, and some huge potential. hes a bit young still so he still has some time to grow and mature in his game. the reason im starting this idea is because i recently talked to his brother mike, and learned that UND was his favorite college hockey team, and would love to be a Sioux in the future. ive included some of what is on the western college hockey blog. you can check it out at the following link under the high school hockey game report section.

http://westerncollegehockey.blogspot.com/2...ey_archive.html

but here is the text..

I had heard a lot of good things about Cathedral's 8th grader Nate Schmidt going into this game. Schmidt is a little different than most 8th graders playing high school hockey, like St. Thomas Academy's Jordan Schroeder last year, in that he doesn't look like an 8th grader at all. He's already 5'11" 165 lbs., and you'd never guess he was an 8th grader by looking at him.

Schmidt played on the top line but started the game out very slowly. Cathedral got bottled up in their own end and Schmidt really struggled controlling breakout passes with his backhand along the boards. He wasn't afraid to throw his weight around a little bit, but that's not really his style of play. The word about him must have gotten out because it seemed like he was skating around with a target on his chest. He took three or four huge hits in the first period that seemed to slow him down some. He did get control of the puck along the wing a couple times, but never got the space to really get moving.

The second half of the game was a complete 180 for him though. It started when Cathedral got their first powerplay of the game. Schmidt looked great playing the wing on the powerplay. He was confident with the puck on his stick, and did a great job moving without the puck. He actually scored on the powerplay in the second period when he snuck to the side of the net and jammed home a rebound, but the goal was called back by a controversial man-in-the-crease call.

By the third period, he was unquestionably the most dangerous player on the ice. When he got a little space to really get moving along the wing, he was very tough to stop. He missed one goal when he fired a one timer that just missed the net on the powerplay. He finally tied the game with about 5 minutes to go when he took a drop pass and fired a huge slap shot. He was also on the ice for the overtime winner. He played every other shift late in the game and was the guy Cathedral was really looking for to make something happen.

I think he's got a great future in hockey. He had a tremendous shot and great offensive instincts. I think he'll be ready for the USHL by the time he's a sophomore in high school. While the Huskies have gotten a lot of local talent in recent years, they've lost some of the bigger prospects to Minnesota like Howe and Harrington. Schmidt will probably be another challenge for St. Cloud to see if they can keep one of their top prospects in the local area.

hey guys, i dont know if anyone has heard of nate schmidt, but he played for st cloud cathedral in minnesota as an 8th grader this past season. i havent had a chance to see him play ever, but i hear he really has some talent, and some huge potential. hes a bit young still so he still has some time to grow and mature in his game. the reason im starting this idea is because i recently talked to his brother mike, and learned that UND was his favorite college hockey team, and would love to be a Sioux in the future. ive included some of what is on the western college hockey blog. you can check it out at the following link under the high school hockey game report section.

http://westerncollegehockey.blogspot.com/2...ey_archive.html

but here is the text..

I had heard a lot of good things about Cathedral's 8th grader Nate Schmidt going into this game. Schmidt is a little different than most 8th graders playing high school hockey, like St. Thomas Academy's Jordan Schroeder last year, in that he doesn't look like an 8th grader at all. He's already 5'11" 165 lbs., and you'd never guess he was an 8th grader by looking at him.

Schmidt played on the top line but started the game out very slowly. Cathedral got bottled up in their own end and Schmidt really struggled controlling breakout passes with his backhand along the boards. He wasn't afraid to throw his weight around a little bit, but that's not really his style of play. The word about him must have gotten out because it seemed like he was skating around with a target on his chest. He took three or four huge hits in the first period that seemed to slow him down some. He did get control of the puck along the wing a couple times, but never got the space to really get moving.

The second half of the game was a complete 180 for him though. It started when Cathedral got their first powerplay of the game. Schmidt looked great playing the wing on the powerplay. He was confident with the puck on his stick, and did a great job moving without the puck. He actually scored on the powerplay in the second period when he snuck to the side of the net and jammed home a rebound, but the goal was called back by a controversial man-in-the-crease call.

By the third period, he was unquestionably the most dangerous player on the ice. When he got a little space to really get moving along the wing, he was very tough to stop. He missed one goal when he fired a one timer that just missed the net on the powerplay. He finally tied the game with about 5 minutes to go when he took a drop pass and fired a huge slap shot. He was also on the ice for the overtime winner. He played every other shift late in the game and was the guy Cathedral was really looking for to make something happen.

I think he's got a great future in hockey. He had a tremendous shot and great offensive instincts. I think he'll be ready for the USHL by the time he's a sophomore in high school. While the Huskies have gotten a lot of local talent in recent years, they've lost some of the bigger prospects to Minnesota like Howe and Harrington. Schmidt will probably be another challenge for St. Cloud to see if they can keep one of their top prospects in the local area.

Nate is an excellent hockey player. I had the privilege of playing with him recently at the Shattuck eXposure tournement. It wasn't until our 3rd game that I was told he was only an 8th grader. I would have never guessed. His speed, and puck control were that of a seasoned high school player. At one point in our 2nd game, we had one defensman missing, and two sitting in the penalty box. Nate played D for us. He looked like he played their all his life. He flattend one guy in the corner, and rushed the puck into the zone moments later. The kid has definitly got some skills.

In a different thread there was talk of a visit by a Goalie so did he happen to look like the guy in this link?

http://bozemanicedogs.com/team/roster/?id=2751

That would be sweet if the Sioux could land him, it looks like he is putting up some good numbers (and breaking records). Maybe he is the possible recruit to take a goalie roster spot should Jordan go pro.

That would be sweet if the Sioux could land him, it looks like he is putting up some good numbers (and breaking records). Maybe he is the possible recruit to take a goalie roster spot should Jordan go pro.

He is trying to get into college hockey ASAP and someone in the same previous thread commented that he gave BSU a verbal for 07. However, if Parise has told Hak he is leaving maybe the offer of playing this year will win the letter of intent.