SiouxSports.com Forum

Prospective Recruits

dagies

Some top 08 OHL prospects to look out for on August 1st.

Adam Valentini

Zach Nyman

Caleb Malhotra

Callum Croskery

Alex Hage

Sam Wathier

Thomas Vandenberg

Beckham Edwards

Jet Kwajah

Jude Bray

13 hours ago, cberkas said:

St. Cloud and Maine as the top two for Cooper Siegert

If this is true, then what you’re saying is Siegert’s only two offers on 08/01 will be SCSU & Maine. 

5 hours ago, AJS said:

If this is true, then what you’re saying is Siegert’s only two offers on 08/01 will be SCSU & Maine. 

It’s just what was reported. 

13 hours ago, scpa0305 said:

It’s just what was reported. 

I saw that. More of a cheap shot at St. Cloud from me. Cheap shot, but still a lot of truth behind it. I hope it doesn’t seem like he has offers from all D1 schools and the favorites from that list includes SCSU.

3 hours ago, AJS said:

I saw that. More of a cheap shot at St. Cloud from me. Cheap shot, but still a lot of truth behind it. I hope it doesn’t seem like he has offers from all D1 schools and the favorites from that list includes SCSU.

Recruiting against a school that is circling the drain shouldn't be tough.

11 hours ago, AJS said:

He’s really small. Nice player obviously but HS hockey is deceiving. 

On 7/5/2024 at 9:44 AM, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

Recruiting against a school that is circling the drain shouldn't be tough.

But with all those issues, they still managed 2nd, 4th, and 6th round picks in the draft.  Not quite our draft, but most schools would take that.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, cberkas said:

With all UND has for facilities. How are they losing out on these high end recruits? Brad has to win these recruiting battles.

I sometimes wonder about all these 5-star recruits going to MI & other places out east instead of UND. Is it that we don't want these future 1st-rounders, or are we trying but just not getting them? UND usually lands a 1st-round forward every 5 years or so (simply guessing here) whereas MI locks them down seemingly every year.

It's hard to look at our incoming freshmen and other committed recruits and say that UND is struggling with winning recruiting battles.  ;) 

Sure, it'd be great to load up on as many first rounders as possible, but that strategy sure hasn't worked well for other schools recently.
Hopefully the team has the right "mix" this year of high-end and grit to make a serious push in the NCAA's.

Season almost here?? 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

Blue chips out of GTMA that go the college route never go west of Ann Arbor. Can't think of any at WI or MN either.

There is a few going to the BCHL which should get them to look more West

4 hours ago, cberkas said:

With all UND has for facilities. How are they losing out on these high end recruits? Brad has to win these recruiting battles.

How many don’t even end up at Michigan.  Weren’t there a couple this year that decided not to go the college route?   I know Perfetti was another that didn’t go the college route.  We’ll see if Michigan can continue to reload after losing guys and make the tournament.  They put it together late last year, but they lost some talent again, so the studs better produce early like the others seem to have done.

On 7/6/2024 at 8:13 PM, .357 said:

I sometimes wonder about all these 5-star recruits going to MI & other places out east instead of UND. Is it that we don't want these future 1st-rounders, or are we trying but just not getting them? UND usually lands a 1st-round forward every 5 years or so (simply guessing here) whereas MI locks them down seemingly every year.

From a recruit standpoint, especially a Toronto kid, Michigan would make complete sense. Toronto is their territory…tough sell with the O being right there though. 

On paper, we just had a really nice recruiting year. Can we compete for blue chips the way Michigan does? No way. But we compete on the ice which is all that matters. There’s a few ways to recruit and Bubs and Co has picked it up recently. 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

Can we compete for blue chips the way Michigan does? No way. 

So UND, having a storied tradition & a facility that surpasses all others, can't compete with MI on the recruiting trail for the bluest of blue chips?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, .357 said:

So UND, having a storied tradition & a facility that surpasses all others, can't compete with MI on the recruiting trail for the bluest of blue chips?

I find that comment a little surprising.  When has UND outrecruited Mich, BU, and BC for No. 1 draft picks east of the western shore of Lake Michigan?

2 hours ago, burd said:

I find that comment a little surprising.  When has UND outrecruited Mich, BU, and BC for No. 1 draft picks east of the western shore of Lake Michigan?

I didn't mention BU or BC.

4 hours ago, .357 said:

We haven’t realistically had much luck recruiting kids from Ontario in general at least in recent years. We will still try to recruit them, but I don’t even flinch when they commit elsewhere. Like I think I can count on one hand the number of guys from Ontario on the team in the last few years. Michigan has the benefit of proximity. And a lot of Ontario kids are probably wanting more of a big school/big city. 40% of Canada’s population lives in Ontario, it’s much more urban than Western Canada. 

If we are going to get any “blue chips” they’ll be from Western Canada or the US. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, siouxforce19 said:

We haven’t realistically had much luck recruiting kids from Ontario in general at least in recent years. We will still try to recruit them, but I don’t even flinch when they commit elsewhere. Like I think I can count on one hand the number of guys from Ontario on the team in the last few years. Michigan has the benefit of proximity. And a lot of Ontario kids are probably wanting more of a big school/big city. 40% of Canada’s population lives in Ontario, it’s much more urban than Western Canada. 

If we are going to get any “blue chips” they’ll be from Western Canada or the US. 

Makes sense, thanks for the reasoned response. I was looking more at the totality of MI's recruits, from the NTDP & USHL, & it seems like they lock down more 1st-round forwards from those leagues than UND does. McGroarty is a good example; he's from Lincoln, NE, closer to us than MI. And to your point, UND doesn't necessarily get the much sought-after Western Canadian boys; Celebrini (Vancouver, BC) opted for BU. Don't know if UND even tried to get him.

One thing I feel the staff has had a lapse in, they don't recruit during the season on weekends. They rely on scouts, contacts, video, etc. When is the last time you see one of the coaches miss a weekend game for a recruiting trip? That used to happen all the time. Now we seem to rely on our history, etc. We have (4) coaches now. I'd be fine if Simpson missed a game here or there to go recruit.

Just my 2 cents. Curious what others think.

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, .357 said:

Makes sense, thanks for the reasoned response. I was looking more at the totality of MI's recruits, from the NTDP & USHL, & it seems like they lock down more 1st-round forwards from those leagues than UND does. McGroarty is a good example; he's from Lincoln, NE, closer to us than MI. And to your point, UND doesn't necessarily get the much sought-after Western Canadian boys; Celebrini (Vancouver, BC) opted for BU. Don't know if UND even tried to get him.

McGroarty isn’t really a great example. He was born in Lincoln, as his dad used to coach the Lincoln Stars, but he basically grew up and played all his organized hockey in Michigan. 

• Upvote 2