SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux Recruits

dagies

HE HAS A BROTHER? :sad:

Oh yeah. He is one of the top 3 players his age in Manitoba, as is his best friend Kelsey Tessier. It will be interesting to see if the Sioux are still interested in them, being they both got tossed from Shattuck earlier this year for cheating.

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know about this LaPoint kid, I'm not to high up on recruiting Wisconsin high school players if they've never played at a higher level.

Yeah, I can't see why we would want a kid picked the WI HS POTY on the Sioux... :sad:

Does it help at all if he plays next season in the USHL?

I don't know about this LaPoint kid, I'm not to high up on recruiting Wisconsin high school players if they've never played at a higher level.

I trust the coaches....plus the BADgers and Goofies were hard after him so it wasn't like this was his only option. May need some time to put on some mass but sounds like he will be an impact player

Being the Wisconsin High School Player of the Year doesn't say to much. The competition for Wisconsin high school hockey sucks. It would be different if he played in the USHL or at least Midget Majors for a year. We'll just have to see how he does.

......and for the record, would you mind listing for all of us your credentials for analyzing hockey talent ? I for one would really like to know.

Dominating the Wisconsin High School level for a few months each winter is only a small sample of what he has accomplished. If you looked into anything you would have realized that he has competed at the National USA Hockey Select 15, 16, and 17 hockey festivals. Is this not a higher level then Wisconsin High School hockey?

Along with that he has competed in the Mid-West Elite High School league B/A the High School season for the past two seasons. If you need more information on that league here is the site. ELITE LEAGUE The Elite League alone had 7 NHL draft picks in the last draft. In the next draft they should have 7-10 more. Thats including 3 first round draft picks in the last 2 seasons. Also Okposo and Forney are projected to go in the top 15 this season. Does that not count as playing at a higher level?

Included in those 7-10 are Mr. LaPoint. Who at the Mid-Term rankings was #96 overall for his draft class in North America. Since then his stock has soared. He has been invited to the NHL Scouting combine for the top 100 players in the WORLD. He could go anywhere from late in the first round to the fifth round. I personaly think he'll go somewhere end of the second/early third but hoping for better obviously.

Add in the fact that Minnesota and Wisconsin both were offering full rides along with North Dakota does that mean that he is some hack? Minnesota, North Dakota, and Wisconsin are perennial powerhouses, did they all of a sudden become crappy recruiters?

Also you bias towards Wisconsin is old thinking and you need to change your ways. The University of Wisconsin just won a National Title with 12 Wisconsin born players on the team. Wisconsin also has had a player drafted in the top 10 of the draft in I believe 3 of the last 4 drafts. Suter to Nashville, Skille to Chicago, and this coming year Kessel will go between 1-3.

The kid is going to be a player. Anyone that has watched him knows the potential that he has. Do you have any more questions pal?

Also you bias towards Wisconsin is old thinking and you need to change your ways. The University of Wisconsin just won a National Title with 12 Wisconsin born players on the team. Wisconsin also has had a player drafted in the top 10 of the draft in I believe 3 of the last 4 drafts. Suter to Nashville, Skille to Chicago, and this coming year Kessel will go between 1-3.

The kid is going to be a player. Anyone that has watched him knows the potential that he has. Do you have any more questions pal?

Out of those 12 Wisconsin players, 11 of them played at least one year of Juniors or they played for the NTDP. The only one that came straight from Wisconsin high school hockey was Ryan Jeffery, who is third on the depth chart and second in his class at goaltender. In reference to Kessel, he played Midget Majors (which is higher competition than Wisconsin high school hockey) for two years before going to the NTDP. In reference to playing in the Midwest Elite League, yes that is good competition, but it is still not to the level of those kids that play Juniors or Midget Majors. Add on to the fact that most of the college grads out of the Midwest Elite League play Juniors. When in reference to the Select teams and the Midwest Elite League, those are offseason hockey leagues, I still feel that playing a 60 game Junior schedule is the right thing before moving to the college level.

Team Wisconsin for all intents and purposes is a Midget Major program. The Elite league for all intents and purposes is a BETTER Midget Major league than any others. The best Major program in the country plays in the league and is an average team. Dont say that it's off season hockey. Because for these kids its not off season hockey. They are busting thier tails because they know that at every Elite League and USA Select Festival game there are 15-20 minimum college and NHL scouts there watching them play. They dont take nights off.

You're also making very general statements in saying that its the right thing to do by playing a season at the Junior level. Some kids are just more naturaly ready then others. Did TJ Oshie need to play a full season in the USHL? ahh no absolutely not. He played a few games and that was all. Different cases for every player. You've never even seen the kid play and have never heard anything so dont make assumptions.

Oshie played in the USHL before the high school season and after the high school season, something that LaPoint hasn't done. I'm not judging his talent, I'm judging his level of competition. Going back to playing in an MHL and the Select Festivals, it's different to light up a two week Select Tourney than play a 60 game Midget Major schedule or Junior schedule. VandeVelde was going to play here last year and decided to play a year in Lincoln instead, this is something I wish LaPoint would do.

Oshie played in the USHL before the high school season and after the high school season, something that LaPoint hasn't done.

THETRIOUXPER will correct me if I'm wrong, but according to hockeydb.com, Oshie played only 11 games for the Sioux Falls Stampede and that was after his senior season ended. This same site says Brian Lee played just 12 games in the USHL for the Lincoln Stars.

Does playing a season at a higher level help? Yes. Is it always necessary? No.

You're changing up your arguments to get off of the base statement that you made.

And I proved to you that he obviously has played at a higher level (USA Select Festivals, Elite League) and done extreamly well. You refered to playing at a higher level such as Midget Majors. Which he has played at a higher level then Midget Majors in the Elite League. Then you say B/A doesnt count. But it counts that Oshie played B/A in the USHL. He's proven himself at a higher level time and time again which is what i'm trying to point out. I'm not arguing against him playing in the USHL next season. I'm arguing that he has already proved himself at the next level. He doesnt need to prove himself in the USHL. They dont send 10 NHL scouts to every high school game he played in this season for nothing.

THETRIOUXPER will correct me if I'm wrong, but according to hockeydb.com, Oshie played only 11 games for the Sioux Falls Stampede and that was after his senior season ended. This same site says Brian Lee played just 12 games in the USHL for the Lincoln Stars.

Does playing a season at a higher level help? Yes. Is it always necessary? No.

Exactly the point that I am trying to make. It is not always necissary. It's on a case to case basis. If they can play at the next level, let them.