SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux Recruits

dagies

I sure hope I am wrong but I think Marto is going to have a tough time adjusting to the WCHA. I realize a lot of freshman have trouble with the adjustment even after a year in the USHL but I think he is going to have a tough time with the physical aspect of the game unless he has really bulked up. Hopefully he can exceed expectations, but 1 goal on the season for an offensive defenseman is not exactly tearing it up.

I'd rather it be one goal now, than one goal last October. Hopefully he'll figure it out. If not now, maybe after an additional year in juniors.

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd rather it be one goal now, than one goal last October. Hopefully he'll figure it out. If not now, maybe after an additional year in juniors.

The problem with that is with the expected departure of Smaby, who is going to replace his spot in the line up?? Bina may/or may not come back and even if he does it will be a lot to expect him to play the regular 6th d spot. Alexander is the only other option unless another d is brought in and at this point I would think it would be pretty slim pickings at this point for 06. So Marto will more than likely be required to play regularly next year unless the coaches can come up with another option.

I'd bet Bina will be back on the ice next year and that would give the Sioux 7 defensemen without Bina. That's a bit thin, but doable if necessary. Still, another good D could be out there for next year in case Marto needs another year in juniors. And who knows, Marto's season is not yet over. If his team goes deep into their playoffs, he could get a lot of playing time yet this year.

There are MANY guys out there that the coaches see each week that most of us have likely NEVER heard of. It's not like guys leaving early is a new scenario anywhere. As has been pointed out in this thread, there are lots of guys that weren't on the radar that were added as "late" recruits, or even "walk-ons". Matt Henderson, Billy Trew, Spirko...

There are certainly guys out there that want to play at the next level that have the ability. It is the job of the coaching staff to find them. I trust them to make that determination.

There are MANY guys out there that the coaches see each week that most of us have likely NEVER heard of. It's not like guys leaving early is a new scenario anywhere. As has been pointed out in this thread, there are lots of guys that weren't on the radar that were added as "late" recruits, or even "walk-ons". Matt Henderson, Billy Trew, Spirko...

Give me a break. If you really expect us to believe the coaches don't come here to get their list of prospects.....

Some of our D has improved some has not - I'm not going to get into naming them (some have even appeared to be way Hyped) :D

But puck handling has not been spectacular / decisions with the puck (& that is where Marto shines) Scoring has not been spectacular by our D either

I thought I was hearing earlier in the season how Big & Rough was not the furure of NCAA Hockey ? ? ?

I hope we see both Marto & Bina - I think they will compliment each other

I guess I'm not sure what you mean, Fetch.

Sure, our D has looked young at times and made some pretty foolish mistakes, but I don't think they've done too badly. I mean, we have only 2 D that AREN'T freshmen that play regularly. I don't know if any other team has that young of a D. And I doubt they've performed as well as ours has if they do (UMD might be the closest).

Our young D has a lot of maturation to do, but they'll come around.

I think I know who he is talking about and he was awful all weekend.He hasn't been the same since the world juniors. Kinda reminds me of Gologoski(sp) and Hagemo from last year.

Yes, and I expect he will also remind you of Goligoski next year. Name one outstanding freshman offensive D-man of recent times... :D

It is just alot of our D could have actually of used a year of Juniors

& Lee does seem confused out there & has lost some confidence - He is one that needs a rest - or to sit & watch Bad (maybe not physicaly but mentaly)

& Lee does seem confused out there & has lost some confidence - He is one that needs a rest - or to sit & watch Bad (maybe not physicaly but mentaly)

Cross out Lee and add Commadore, Smaby, Green, Hale, Roach because they all went through this. In part this is what so impresses me with Finley as he continues to look OK. Also freshman D in the WCHA typically drop in weight significanlty their freshman year and sometime lose the jump. I definately think Lee looks almost frail. A year of weight training and experince usually fixes this.

I couldn't be happier to have Lee, but I realize that he has struggled some.

I agree I wouldn't have any other d-man out there,he will be a great one. He is going through a rough period now though.

Lee appears to play a less aggressive, more calculating game than some of the other freshmen D like Jones or Finley for instance. I wonder if players like that take a little longer to get comfortable. It might be a simpler game to play like Jones, for instance, than Lee.

I agree with dagies. He has cooled off since the WJC but he's hardly been a liability on the ice either.

However, I find this interesting:

Brian Lee is second among WCHA freshmen defensemen in scoring behind DU's Chris Butler. Nothing says "HE SUCKS" worse than being second, no?

Seriously, Andy Schneider didn't have a great offensive campaign until his sophomore year. Matt Jones didn't come around until his Junior year offensively really. David Hale, Commie, Greene, Smaby, all aren't offensive defensemen but defensively they had trouble their freshmen years. Do you think Lee will be "in dire need to sit and watch" for however long he is in a Sioux uniform?

Also, who would you put in place of him? Lee Marvin? Todd Alexander? Scott Foyt? Does any of these three scream "defensive talent" or "PP talent" to you? Hakstol's job is to make this team as competitive as he can. He has a challenging job of it this year with the youth and the expectations placed upon him and his players. I think the last think Hakstol would do to his credibility is to weaken the team by sitting a defensemen that, on the whole, has played really well throughout the year, even with his sluggish return from the WJC.

I've only seen 3 games this year so my view is more limited than those who see the Sioux play regularly. I've made a point of watching Lee play. I thought he played a more physical game last Saturday in terms of taking the body and his play along the boards than in the earlier games I saw at Duluth and St. Cloud. He seemed much more confident when the puck was on his stick in the earlier games, though.

There's been a lot of talk from the Sioux coaches and players about learning to play defense first, so maybe Lee has been asked to learn and do some things he didn't necessarily have to worry about at Moorhead. We all agree he's going to be an outstanding d-man and some extra beef in the off-season will go a long way toward giving him some much needed juice during the second half of next year.

Have any of you ever noticed that some Athletes have this Head Shake thing - Like a Habit or Tic

Like if you were driving late at night & trying to stay awake & you shake your head (hard but short) to try & snap out of it

- Lee is now doing this - Maybe always has ? ? ? I don't know if it is Good or Bad or a sign of anything .....Actually Tony Hrkac had it too & that last year he was phenomal

It's nice to think that Fetch isn't a scout. :huh:

Oh well.

Goon- I definitely agree. I think Lee needs to fill out his frame a bit more. Throw in experience and he's going to be a really good one. In fact, I can't wait for it to happen. I'd love to see Fetch eat his words.

So far, people have said "Matt Smaby has been a great disappointment so far in his career" during his freshman year. So far, they're WRONG. Of course, I said Matt was a valuable asset to the Sioux and will be a great one from day one. Gosh, I guess I'm not wrong all the time, now aren't I? :D

But what do I know? shep is right: I don't see Sioux players as "potential busts." I guess that makes me naive. :love: