SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux Recruits

dagies

I probably read azsioux's post too quickly but it seemed as though he was referring to Marvin as a Sioux recruit, rather than a prospect. Not that I'm trying to split hairs as I hope he does become a Sioux recruit. Just wasn't sure if I was missing something.

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

McKeen's has Michael Forney at #14 of all players available for the 2006 NHL Draft. They have Toews at #5. According to these folks, Frolik and Toews have fallen since the world juniors.

It looks like Forney should be a real good recruit - he has both size and skill. I think I like him already !

Here's the top 15 list according to McKeen's.

2006 NHL DRAFT RANKINGS

1 - Phil Kessel C

2 - Erik Johnson D

3 - Jordan Staal C

4 - Nicklas Backstrom C

5 - Jonathan Toews C

6 - Peter Mueller C

7 - Michael Frolik RW

8 - Kyle Okposo RW

9 - Derick Brassard C

10 - Bob Sanguinetti D

11 - Nigel Williams D

12 - Bryan Little C

13 - James Sheppard C

14 - Michael Forney LW

15 - Chris Stewart RW

international scouting service rankings

TOP 15 '06 PROSPECTS

1 E. Johnson USA

2 J. Toews UND

3 P. Kessel UMIN

4 J. Staal PET

5 P. Mueller EVE

6 M. Frolik CZE

7 N. Backstrom SWE

8 J. Sheppard CB

9 J. Degray BRA

10 B. Little BAR

11 B. Sanguinetti OWE

12 K. Okposo DSMN

13 A. Vasyunov RUS

14 D. Brassard DRU

15 N. Williams USA

These rankings mean nothing.

ISS's rankings had Finley in upper to mid 2nd round, Oshie 2nd round, Lee 5-7 slots later than he was drafted..

Wheeler IIRC was supposed to be like 29th to 31st overall when he was in his draft year.

The only ranking that matters is the one formed on draft day.

These rankings mean nothing.

ISS's rankings had Finley in upper to mid 2nd round, Oshie 2nd round, Lee 5-7 slots later than he was drafted..

Wheeler IIRC was supposed to be like 29th to 31st overall when he was in his draft year.

The only ranking that matters is the one formed on draft day.

Yeah, but it still gives you somewhat of an idea where these guys sit with these scouts, NHL teams, ect. Nothing here is carved in stone, obviously, there are other things to take into consideration. Combine camps, 2nd half of the season play, stepping up to win big games in the playoffs, these can all affect draft order closer to draft day.

I probably read azsioux's post too quickly but it seemed as though he was referring to Marvin as a Sioux recruit, rather than a prospect. Not that I'm trying to split hairs as I hope he does become a Sioux recruit. Just wasn't sure if I was missing something.

sorry, i did not clarify my player listings as i should have seperated our recruits and potential recruits. my bad, sorry for the confusion....i edited my post to clear it up...thx for pointing it out...

sorry, i did not clarify my player listings as i should have seperated our recruits and potential recruits. my bad, sorry for the confusion....i edited my post to clear it up...thx for pointing it out...

No real problem, I was just hopeful!

Yeah, but it still gives you somewhat of an idea where these guys sit with these scouts, NHL teams, ect. Nothing here is carved in stone, obviously, there are other things to take into consideration. Combine camps, 2nd half of the season play, stepping up to win big games in the playoffs, these can all affect draft order closer to draft day.

And it gives us something to jab about in the meantime :silly:

And it gives us something to jab about in the meantime :silly:

Ok this thread is off course, but I'll play... Could you imagin either Pittsburg or Washington with Toews or Kessel, that would be awesome firepower, maybe those teams would tend towards a Johnson.

(deja vu on this one, because I had trouble finding details on last year's game as well.) The BCHL all-star game was played last night. Near the end of the game the score was 13-10, but I don't know if it was final. It may take a few days for the BCHL to post the boxscore on its site. Here's a message board review of the game, with some familiar names:

"just wanted to say it was a fun game to be at last night a lot of nice goals it was great seeing the captains for both the coast and interior are current members of the silverbacks macintyre and zajac>>>both played well too also SImon leblanc was outstanding in net made probably TWO of the nicest saves ive ever seen in this league>>>both brathwaite and olthuis were pretty weak in net for the interior the reason it wasnt a blowout was the spectacular play of brad thiessen in net for the interior two out of the six goalies were amazing>> and the best player on the ice for the coast was colin greening with a great game including a hat trick and the two players of the game were darcy zajac for the interior and greening for the coast good to see the level of talent in this game was a fun time"

BCHL board full of speculation on how bad Zajac's shoulder seperation is, whether he'll be out a few weeks or all year and need surgery. Hopefully it's not too bad.

Short ditty on Genoway on the BCHL page here

Hopefully Darcy can be back playing again shortly...

Is Chay being recruited as a dman or a forward? I noticed that he has played both. I suppose he could play both as well at UND, but would guess that Hakstol recruited him for one or the other.

international scouting service rankings

TOP 15 '06 PROSPECTS

1 E. Johnson USA

2 J. Toews UND

3 P. Kessel UMIN

4 J. Staal PET

5 P. Mueller EVE

6 M. Frolik CZE

7 N. Backstrom SWE

8 J. Sheppard CB

9 J. Degray BRA

10 B. Little BAR

11 B. Sanguinetti OWE

12 K. Okposo DSMN

13 A. Vasyunov RUS

14 D. Brassard DRU

15 N. Williams USA

I take the ISS rankings over McKean's any day based on what I know about these guys and how they have actually performed against one another. Toews has always outperformed Mueller at pervious tornaments. Staal actually played in the same Bantam AAA league as Toews and although Staal was very good he was not at Toew's level. Heck, I would even rate Ryan White who plays for Calgary Hitmen ahead of Staal but that is probably based on my own bias. I just think guys that win World Championships should get the edge when rankings come out but what do I know.

I think that Genoway may be like Lee Marvin in that he will play whereever is needed.

That's what I said when he committed :p

But yeah, that's what he's going to be PLUS, he has the possibility to bring a kind of depth in character the Sioux could need. Lee Marvin, according to what I have heard, is a valuable asset because of his attitude. Like Jake Brandt was last year. Genoway could (he may not) be that kind of a player.

It's always a bonus to have a player who can play two positions, even though Genoway is quite undersized as a defenseman.

EDIT: Here are some pictures of various BCHL players but mainly has one of Genoway and one of Zajac.

• 2 weeks later...
Does anyone know if Jake Marto is injured? He hasnt played for the last 4-5 games.

I'm sorry I don't know, but I've been wondering it as well.

He played on February 1, then missed Feb. 3, 4 and 10. He played again on Feb. 11, and missed Feb. 17. He played again tonight, and registered his first goal of the year. Congratulations there.

If he's in-and-out of the lineup because he's failing to hold down a regular spot, that would be bad news. There must be someone who keeps tabs on either him or the USHL who could provide some information.

No injuries

http://www.lancers.com/leagues/newsletter....id=0&page=12145

I don't think anyone but his coach knows - But speculation is the coach wants him to score - He is a very unselfish player & maybe needs to take his play to another level & this was a way to get him to think about it (?) - & maybe he finally has, or is trying to (?)

http://www.lancers.com/leagues/rosters_pro...playerID=158550

Other than Goals he has played well from what I have heard - It sounds like there are guys on the team that shoot everytime they get the puck ? ? ? Jake has been right up there on assists

Congratulations Jake on the 1st one :huh:

I'm sorry I don't know, but I've been wondering it as well.

He played on February 1, then missed Feb. 3, 4 and 10. He played again on Feb. 11, and missed Feb. 17. He played again tonight, and registered his first goal of the year. Congratulations there.

If he's in-and-out of the lineup because he's failing to hold down a regular spot, that would be bad news. There must be someone who keeps tabs on either him or the USHL who could provide some information.

I sure hope I am wrong but I think Marto is going to have a tough time adjusting to the WCHA. I realize a lot of freshman have trouble with the adjustment even after a year in the USHL but I think he is going to have a tough time with the physical aspect of the game unless he has really bulked up. Hopefully he can exceed expectations, but 1 goal on the season for an offensive defenseman is not exactly tearing it up.