SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux Recruits

dagies

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

very nice!! zajac seems to be a tough forward. a mike prpich type which we will need in situations but can also score a bit more as well..will have to read up on trupp...congrats to these guys..welcome....

He must be a lot sneakier than Prpich. He only has 32 PIM.

Darcy Zajac

good point, then again i could be wrong, i thought i heard he plays a tough game from other threads. maybe he does but makes very clean hits :silly:

I think there was an article somewhere where Travis said that Darcy is a mean, tough player. Dagies beat me to it.

Edited by I Ranger

good point, then again i could be wrong, i thought i heard he plays a tough game from other threads. maybe he does but makes very clean hits :silly:

It's here in a post by CRR. (IRanger, in an unrelated but interesting coincidence you are the very next post on this thread too...)

Edited by dagies

Impressive that Trupp is that far up the BCHL scoring list as rookie import. Most of the leading scorers in the BCHL have been/are in their second or third years in the BCHL. Trupp just turned 18, and is a year younger than all the other scoring leaders in the BCHL. If he spends next year in the BCHL, we could very well be following him at the top of the list.

Chris VandeVelde has a goal and an assist in 2 wins playing for Team USA in the Viking Cup;

Viking Cup

VandeVelde had another goal yesterday in a win over Switzerland. Apparently there was a complementary article about in the Edmonton newspaper a couple of days ago, but it seems to be subscription only site. Guy Flaming is one of the broadcasters for the tournament and he is providing some analysis for the Hockey's Future board.

Maybe this tournament will spark Vandy to a better second half in the USHL. The kid has plenty of talent. He got off to a very hot start in the preseason and early season play. Unfortunately, it sounds like has been a bit of an underachiever.

I've mentioned this kid before but I think people should really start to keep track of him. Colin Wilson who is playing for the USA Under 17's. Colin just scored the opening goal for USA in the Under 17's Gold Medal Final against Team Quebec. Scored 2 goals yesterday in the Semi Final. Second leading scorer for USA in this tournament with 8 points. Six goals and 2 assists.

Colin is from Winnipeg and The Sioux would be a great fit for him and his family.

There's not really a good place for this, but this'll do. In reading the Boys of Winter about the 1980 US team, a couple things jumped out at me. One, and the reason I picked this thread, is that Mike Ramsey, in addition to being a star hockey player, also starred in high school tennis and football. Sound familiar to anyone?

Also, and having nothing to do with this thread, when the Soviets failed to score on a few glorious first-period chances, they were completely unbothered by their failures. They had zero urgency, because they well knew that there would be other scoring chances, many of them, and if they missed on the first five then the next one would probably go in and the floodgates would open. It was a perfect description of that (forgive me) horrible 1-0 loss to Denver two years ago. Complete control, but a calm approach because the team knew eventually they would break loose. Then calmness switched to sheer terror, only too late to do anything about it.

BTW, the hockey/tennis/football star is Forney.

There's not really a good place for this, but this'll do. In reading the Boys of Winter about the 1980 US team, a couple things jumped out at me. One, and the reason I picked this thread, is that Mike Ramsey, in addition to being a star hockey player, also starred in high school tennis and football. Sound familiar to anyone?

Also, and having nothing to do with this thread, when the Soviets failed to score on a few glorious first-period chances, they were completely unbothered by their failures. They had zero urgency, because they well knew that there would be other scoring chances, many of them, and if they missed on the first five then the next one would probably go in and the floodgates would open. It was a perfect description of that (forgive me) horrible 1-0 loss to Denver two years ago. Complete control, but a calm approach because the team knew eventually they would break loose. Then calmness switched to sheer terror, only too late to do anything about it.

BTW, the hockey/tennis/football star is Forney.

Good post. Replace tennis with baseball and you have Marto. Both of these players are naturally gifted athletes. It will be interesting to see what happens when they focus on hockey.

Cory Johnson from Moorhead was another player like them, it is too bad he was not given much respect for his hockey abilities. I think he could have become a Panzer-like college hockey player.

• 2 weeks later...
Chris Vande Velde had a hat-trick in Lincoln's 8-1 win over Chicago Sunday night. He also had an assist. So, its good to see he had a good game, hopefully he starts to really pour it on for the second half of the season.

Where have i heard this before... :D

Oh yeah previous post... :silly:

McKeen's has Michael Forney at #14 of all players available for the 2006 NHL Draft. They have Toews at #5. According to these folks, Frolik and Toews have fallen since the world juniors.

It looks like Forney should be a real good recruit - he has both size and skill. I think I like him already !

Here's the top 15 list according to McKeen's.

2006 NHL DRAFT RANKINGS

1 - Phil Kessel C

2 - Erik Johnson D

3 - Jordan Staal C

4 - Nicklas Backstrom C

5 - Jonathan Toews C

6 - Peter Mueller C

7 - Michael Frolik RW

8 - Kyle Okposo RW

9 - Derick Brassard C

10 - Bob Sanguinetti D

11 - Nigel Williams D

12 - Bryan Little C

13 - James Sheppard C

14 - Michael Forney LW

15 - Chris Stewart RW

Nice to see McKeens and CSB recognize the talent coming out of the United States. I think US has the top notch talent Canada and Russia produce just not the depth. You could see the depth in the WJC where all the lines for Canada are top notch while the US usually has only 1 or 2.

McKeen's has Michael Forney at #14 of all players available for the 2006 NHL Draft. They have Toews at #5. According to these folks, Frolik and Toews have fallen since the world juniors.

It looks like Forney should be a real good recruit - he has both size and skill. I think I like him already !

Here's the top 15 list according to McKeen's.

2006 NHL DRAFT RANKINGS

1 - Phil Kessel C

2 - Erik Johnson D

3 - Jordan Staal C

4 - Nicklas Backstrom C

5 - Jonathan Toews C

6 - Peter Mueller C

7 - Michael Frolik RW

8 - Kyle Okposo RW

9 - Derick Brassard C

10 - Bob Sanguinetti D

11 - Nigel Williams D

12 - Bryan Little C

13 - James Sheppard C

14 - Michael Forney LW

15 - Chris Stewart RW

WOW...

This is cool to see.

I agree that Johnson or Kessel should be #1. I would have a tough time picking one. Kessel has so much that can't be taught, but at the same time needs to learn the game more and let it come to him. Johnson is huge and that can't be taught. I guess I think that Kessel should be #1.

Toews seems like a legit top 5 player. How he performs the rest of the season should influance his position more than most other players.

Forney at #14 is really cool to see. I hear his draft position improved because he went to UND. :silly:

i still think kessel will go #1 in the draft. there may be a few or many GM's out there that will take johnson who is a great prospect as well after watching him in the wjt but when it comes down to it i'm guessing phill will be the top pick. if he does he may be a future linemate with tj oshie and backes in st louis or he may be linemates with sid the kid and malkin from russia in pittsburgh when he comes over to the NHL which may be next year...

as i see it we will have 3 more draft picks?? is this correct?

toews

forney

z jones

is d zajac or phils brother draft eligable?

potential recruit

marvin

i still think kessel will go #1 in the draft. there may be a few or many GM's out there that will take johnson who is a great prospect as well after watching him in the wjt but when it comes down to it i'm guessing phill will be the top pick. if he does he may be a future linemate with tj oshie and backes in st louis or he may be linemates with sid the kid and malkin from russia in pittsburgh when he comes over to the NHL which may be next year...

as i see it we will have 4 more draft picks?? is this correct?

toews

forney

marvin

z jones

is d zajac or phils brother draft eligable?

Marvin?

Marvin?

MT Rank: Player Name: Team Pos:

1 JOHNSON, ERIK US NAT'L U-18 D

2 KESSEL, PHIL UNIVERSITY OF MINNESOTA C

3 TOEWS, JONATHAN UNIVERSITY OF NORTH DAKOTA W

13 OKPOSO, KYLE DES MOINES RW

15 MITERA, MARK UNIVERSITY OF MICHIGAN D

19 WILLIAMS, NIGEL US NAT'L U-18 D

25 FISCHER, DAVID APPLE VALLEY D

27 STRAIT, BRIAN US NAT'L U-18 D

33 SNEEP, CARL BRAINERD D