1. 1. Favorite team to hate

• St. Cloud St.
    • Mankato
    • Minnesota
    • Colorado College
    • Wisconsin
    • Minnesota-Duluth
    • Other

I hate Minnesota!!! I think it's because there fans sing that stupid song. "Sota Sota yeeeeaaaah Sota." I wanted to deck every fan of theirs in the building.

Also because their players are the dirtiest players in college hockey. They recruit GOONS to play on their team.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Without a doubt - the vermin. Why?

1. Most xenophobic and arrogant fans anywhere. Despite claims to the contrary by vermin apologists on the USCHO board, I can't count the number of times I've been told by their fans how the Sioux are just a bunch of 25 year old Canadians, despite the fact that they aren't and despite the fact that even if they were, it's still within the rules. Nobody the world over, except for sotas, have a problem with Canada. Hating Canadians is like hating warm cereal. If you hate either, you're really going out of your way to be offended. Bucky, by the way, has the best fans. They support their team through thick and thin, they travel well, and they are fun to party with.

2. Their prima donna, snot-nosed, I'm-so-talented-because-I-was-one-of-the-top-Minnesota-high-school-players-so-I-don't-have-to-play-hard players. Their players really seem to love to use their sticks too.

3. Donnie No-Soul getting the league to adopt the new scheduling system that has given the Sioux SCCC as their 'natural' rivals. ;)

4. Dougie why-the-hell-can't-I-pronounce-Lundbohm-correctly Woog getting the league to hold the WCHA tournament nearly every year in St. Paul after being whipped by the Sioux in 5 of 6 meetings in the '86-'87 season (the last 2 beatings were in the WCHA tourney, which at that time was held in the higher seeds home rink).

I don't however have a problem with the rouser. I think it's great. I laugh every time they do it. If they really enjoy something that makes them look that ridiculous, why discourage it? Same with their uni's. If they really want to wear something that ugly, with that incredibly fearsome "M" on their sweaters :D , I'm all for it.

I hate any team playing the Sioux, but I hate Minnesota more than

anything else! With the Sioux winning and the Gophers losing reminds

me of a song Oh Happy Day!

Go Sioux!!!

Parise for Hobey!!

Just one of the many on this question. Hate the Gophers, hate'em, hate 'em. Why? Their arrogance, their sense of entitlement, their chippy play, their "if you ain't from Minnesota, you ain't !@$!" attitudes. I hate their maroon and gold covered behinds.

SCCC. While we have our most intense rivalries with Wisco and Minnesota, SCCC and its fans annoy the crap out of me. Their never-ending whines about "respect" when they haven't won a single NC$$ tourney game remind me more entitlement than anything I hear from gopher fans. Not to mention SCCC is a dump of a school that reminds me of Soviet-era design in Europe. The NCC is a dump of an arena that reminds me of some parkboard barn.

I wholly disagree with your take on Husky fans. The St. Cloud 'respect' thingy is pretty funny. But in talking to the Husky fans I know, they mean to earn the respect by finally winning in the Tourney and don't have a sense of entitlement to it.

I have been to NHC at least 10 times over the past few years. I always get treated well, get shots and beers bought for me hand over fist at McRudy's, O'Hara's, 1st Ave, and have gotten to know quite a few of them very well. The ones I know are hardcore Husky fans with a great deal of respect for the Sioux; they laugh at their lowly NCAA 'participation' banner when I bring them up to GF; they're knowledgable about most WCHA programs.

And NHC...you called it a barn...and sure its a small, dumpy, low ceilinged, crackerbox with loud fans sitting right on the ice. Remind you of anything? For a fan who loved the oldRalph, its a GREAT place to see a hockey game.

I think that the arrogance displayed by a number of Gopher fans can be summed up with an example of a caller to today's PA and Dubay show on KFAN saying "North Dakota has a good program and all, BUT they should be thanking Minnesota. Minnesota gave them their arena, their head coach, and their best player. After all, Minnesota is the 'State of Hockey' and North Dakota is just an extension of our program and would be nothing without us. So North Dakota fans should be saying 'Thank you' to Minnesota".

PA then adds "Ralph Engelstad was one of us!"

Could there be any other answer to this poll question?

shootdogger,

You're right. Except for the lack of seats on the ends, the extra rink on one end, and for the bleacher seats without backs, the banners hanging from the ceiling, and the exposed concrete blocks everywhere, the old REA is just like the NHC. :D;)

I'll say this for the Concrete Center: when I was there for the series between the Huskies and Sioux earlier this year, the place was loud and rockin'. THAT reminded me of the old Ralph when the Gophers came to town. Still haven't figured out how 6,000+ people in the old Ralph can be louder than almost twice that many in the new Ralph.

I think that the arrogance displayed by a number of Gopher fans can be summed up with an example of a caller to today's PA and Dubay show on KFAN saying "North Dakota has a good program and all, BUT they should be thanking Minnesota. Minnesota gave them their arena, their head coach, and their best player. After all, Minnesota is the 'State of Hockey' and North Dakota is just an extension of our program and would be nothing without us. So North Dakota fans should be saying 'Thank you' to Minnesota".

shootdogger,

You're right. Except for the lack of seats on the ends, the extra rink on one end, and for the bleacher seats without backs, the banners hanging from the ceiling, and the exposed concrete blocks everywhere, the old REA is just like the NHC. :D;)

Still, we had to loan 'em one of ours so they could win the big one last year.

:D

shootdogger,

You're right. Except for the lack of seats on the ends, the extra rink on one end, and for the bleacher seats without backs, the banners hanging from the ceiling, and the exposed concrete blocks everywhere, the old REA is just like the NHC. :(:D

Minnesota SHOULD BE thanking north dakota ;):D

SCCC. While we have our most intense rivalries with Wisco and Minnesota, SCCC and its fans annoy the crap out of me. Their never-ending whines about "respect" when they haven't won a single NC$$ tourney game remind me more entitlement than anything I hear from gopher fans. Not to mention SCCC is a dump of a school that reminds me of Soviet-era design in Europe. The NCC is a dump of an arena that reminds me of some parkboard barn.

I agree with scott, their fans are even more annoying than Minnesota and B.C. fans. I also think that their stupid fans with their annoying names is down right riduculous... I think I dislike the Wisconins fans a lot too...

The thing that bothers me about Wisconsin is that you can be up on them 5-0 in the third, they'll get a goal, and the Kohl Center will go crazy with the sieve chant. They even sieve the empty net.

The M-I-N-N-E-S-O-T-A is definitely annoying, but I think only because I'm the opponent. I had season football tickets to the gophers a couple years when I was a student there, and it's quite a different feeling to be on that side of 40,000 people chanting the same thing in unison. Gotta admit, UND has nothing similar. It's sort of the same feeling I get when Wisconsin breaks into "varsity" or when that old Wisconsin guy leads the crowd in big cheers -- angry, but probably somewhat respectful because we have no such traditions (no, the chicken dance and beer song don't count).

I can tolerate the M-I-N-N-E-S-O-T-A rouser at UofM athletic events. That's their thing and I can understand it. But it REALLY annoys me when I hear it anywhere else...like in the parking lot after a Twins game.

Also, the crowd yelling "Always Were" or "That's Debatable" after penalties expire is quite annoying. [As an aside, I thought I faintly heard this at the REA during the Wisconsin series. Anyone else hear that? In my opinion, ANY Sioux fan caught yelling this at Engelstad Arena should have their season tickets taken away from them.]

mksioux, you are correct. The people in the student section who call themselves The Green Hairem like to do the "Always were!" and "That's Debatable!" cheer. ;)

I agree that the M-I-N-N-E-S-O-T-A rouser is intimidating in that EVERYONE yells it in unison. And I admit, it makes me jealous that Sioux fans don't do anything in unison. I bet only 5% of Sioux fns actually know the words to the school songs. Still, being a Sioux fan and sitting in the stands during the championship game of the Frozen Four last year, I thought I was going to die. Never, have I heard a state be spelled out so loudly before in my life. It would have made a spelling bee champion proud.

I can tolerate the M-I-N-N-E-S-O-T-A rouser at UofM athletic events. That's their thing and I can understand it. But it REALLY annoys me when I hear it anywhere else...like in the parking lot after a Twins game.

Also, the crowd yelling "Always Were" or "That's Debatable" after penalties expire is quite annoying. [As an aside, I thought I faintly heard this at the REA during the Wisconsin series. Anyone else hear that? In my opinion, ANY Sioux fan caught yelling this at Engelstad Arena should have their season tickets taken away from them.]

Umm.. students have been saying "thats debatable" at the REA as long as i have been at UND (4th hockey season)