• Colorado College
    • Wisconsin
    • Minnesota-Duluth
    • Other

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's the deal with the poll? It only shows 44 votes. Doesn't it change once you vote?

The vast majority of readers are passive participants. To vote in polls requires you to have a message board login, be logged in, and choose to participate in the short window that the message is active. 50 is about the number I would expect.

• 2 weeks later...

We were doing "that's debatable" and/or "and they STILL suck" in High School back in the mid-80s in Bismarck. We sure as hell weren't creative enough to think of it on our own...so I'm guessing we picked it up from older siblings who attended UND games and said: "If you want to be cool, try this cheer."

They were also the ones who convinced us it would be a great idea to smuggle dead, frozen rabbits into Schaumberg Arena (inside trombone cases--ever see a frozen rabbit? Their legs stick straight out so they're like 2-3 feet long!) to throw on the ice against the Minot Magicians.

Ahhh..the good old days.

Any yet I haven't seen a gopher take flight in awhile....

Go Demons!

"Bismarck appeared to start off on the right foot. With the Demons enjoying their first man-advantage of the night, Jack Aide lit the lamp. A half dozen rabbits - only one of them stuffed - hit the ice - but the celebration turned out to be what Keith Olbermann would call premature jocularity."

http://www.bismarcktribune.com/articles/20.../local/spt1.txt

My kids are 9 & 6 - and being brought up as Gopher fans and, more importantly, hockey fans. They may continue being Gopher fans as they get older but they will appreciate good hockey when they see it, no matter who is playing.

I really think that is a good point. I appreciate good hockey no matter who is playing, it all boils down to its hockey. My television is definately tuned in every Friday and Saturday if I am not watching the Sioux checking out the enemy in MPLS. On Saturday I love to watch CBC and the coaches corner. Also, I watch the NHL no matter who is playing. Hockey is where its at, and I can't stand basketball. To bad ESPN has cut the number of hockey games it airs this season.

I really enjoyed the Final Five last March. Most of my friends took a pass on the tourney but I still showed up to watch the games. My wife didn't understand the reason I went but I told her it was hockey and I had to be there.

goon- it's too bad you had to watch the dirty gerbils hoist the trophy after houser did everything in his power to lose the game. ???

Yeah it was tough watching Hoser be on the winning team being we owned him for this first three seasons. No sugar coating it Hauser sucked. I was painful to see the Gophers win the NCAA title too. I Loved it when the Maine player I cann't remember what his name was give the SHHHH sign after he scored during the final of the NCAA championship.

As for Minnesota: I know but I have never seen 18,000 fans be quite after Denver pumeled them in the WCHA Final Five. I enjoyed the moment. Two buddies and myself sat right in the middle of them and stood up and cheered everytime Denver Scored, I thought we were going to get murdered. I have never seen an arena empty so fast during the third period.

I thought it was fitting after the Gophers marched out of the arena following their band the night before.

Goon - It's Mr. National Champion Hauser to you. ??? Also, it was Maine's Peter Metcalf that was Mr. Shhhhh.

I may catch some grief for this, but the DU game in the WCHA meant nothing to the Gophers. We had the bye wrapped up after the win over Jan and I'm fairly convinced once Lucia saw the ship sinking he didn't do much to stop it. Just my opinion, but Lucia had his sights already set on the NCAA's; the DU game was a formality.

Goon - It's Mr. National Champion Hauser to you.   ??? Also, it was Maine's Peter Metcalf that was Mr. Shhhhh.  

I may catch some grief for this, but the DU game in the WCHA meant nothing to the Gophers.  We had the bye wrapped up after the win over Jan and I'm fairly convinced once Lucia saw the ship sinking he didn't do much to stop it.  Just my opinion, but Lucia had his sights already set on the NCAA's; the DU game was a formality.

I agree with you Greyeagle. I have, in a couple of occasions recently, kind of wondered about the value of winning the Final Five after taking the league, wrapping up an NCAA bid, etc. Don't get me wrong I love the Final Five, enjoy going and want my team to win, but there have a been a couple of times where the game seemed to be of NO value other than bragging rights. That removes some of the emotion from the game.

During the season you are at least fighting for league points. NCAA's you are fighting for your season every shift. Final Five, make or break for some, another game for others.

During the season you are at least fighting for league points. NCAA's you are fighting for your season every shift. Final Five, make or break of some, another game for others.

And assuming a victory means nothing in the PWR ratings. If you are playing for your playoff life then (obviously) or a loss could have a negative impact it's another story.

Sprig - I think Jan's FF banner hangs between the Pizza Hut and Carl's House of Cheese banners. ???

I think winning the WCHA is critical for the Sioux. '97, '00 vs '98, '99, '01.

Last year it was critical also, it gave DU the top seed and a date with Michigan.

The year before, it fed SCSU to Michigan and let UND go out east.

So maybe Blaiser threw the game against SCCC so the Sioux didn't have to play UofMichigan? So are we to imply that too?

So maybe Blaiser threw the game against SCCC so the Sioux didn't have to play UofMichigan? So are we to imply that too?

Though that definitely crossed a lot of fans' minds strategically, I think throwing a game would really destroy a team's momentum and spirit.

The team that goes on to win the NCAA championship has to play hard to win every game throughout the tournament and often has a certain momentum going into the tournament. I don't think throwing a game would work at all from a psychological standpoint. Plus, it's easy to misestimate the "easy" path!

I think throwing the game is too strong. He did play Kollar instead of Karl G though, which tells me Blais did not absolutely feel the Sioux needed to win that game.

Playing Kollar was a good call though, Kollar got big game experience and the Sioux despite losing ended up about as close as possible to repeating as champs.

I think throwing the game is too strong. He did play Kollar instead of Karl G though, which tells me Blais did not absolutely feel the Sioux needed to win that game.

I think that's correct. If Blais thought the Sioux needed to win that game, Goehring would have been in the net.

I was at the WCHA Final Five that year and also heard Blais quoted in an interview saying that he felt the Sioux only needed to win one game at the tournament to be assured of a spot in the NCAA tournament. He was right.