1. 1. Favorite team to hate

• St. Cloud St.
    • Mankato
    • Minnesota
    • Colorado College
    • Wisconsin
    • Minnesota-Duluth
    • Other

Both my kids could spell Minnesota by the age of 2-1/2 - probably due to me taking them to a couple of UND-MN games when they were young.   ;)

They must be kind of old. You haven't scored THAT much against us recently.

(unless it was last March. :D )

(edit: I guess I should have read the next post)

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Umm.. students have been saying "thats debatable" at the REA as long as i have been at UND (4th hockey season)

I guess I haven't noticed it...there must not be that many that do it. Is this chant common among other teams' fans as well? I assumed it was a just a Gopher thing...where at least half the arena yells it. Unless it's common (like "sieve" and the beer song), UND students should stop doing it. There's nothing worse than copying a Gopher cheer and doing it poorly in the process. Well, I suppose actually losing to the Gophers is worse. ;)

dagies - My guess is UW was doing the debatable chant before we were and Cornell before they were. Either way it's kinda lame. If you want to see something cool you should see the UW student section at football games do the chicken dance when the band plays the song. Pretty cool.

My kids are 9 & 6 - and being brought up as Gopher fans and, more importantly, hockey fans. They may continue being Gopher fans as they get older but they will appreciate good hockey when they see it, no matter who is playing.

If you're suffering from withdrawl follow the link to hear the Rouser, MN March (written by J. Philip Sousa BTW), and the balance of the shool song library.

http://www.music.umn.edu/marchingband/media/schlsongs/

(I know - zaero chance this wil happen. ;) )

Umm.. students have been saying "thats debatable" at the REA as long as i have been at UND (4th hockey season)

We were doing "that's debatable" and/or "and they STILL suck" in High School back in the mid-80s in Bismarck. We sure as hell weren't creative enough to think of it on our own...so I'm guessing we picked it up from older siblings who attended UND games and said: "If you want to be cool, try this cheer."

They were also the ones who convinced us it would be a great idea to smuggle dead, frozen rabbits into Schaumberg Arena (inside trombone cases--ever see a frozen rabbit? Their legs stick straight out so they're like 2-3 feet long!) to throw on the ice against the Minot Magicians.

Ahhh..the good old days.

I think yelling "You Still Suck" when the opposing team regains full strength is much more UND's style than "That's Debatable" ;)

I don't like the student's current method of yelling "Who's he, he sucks s___!"

First of all, the best chants are those that are simple and easy to yell loudly. The last word makes the chant too cluttered.

Secondly, as you get older it is much harder to accept yelling the last word with kids or older adults around you, or even with your own kid in tow.

Therefore, I would suggest if the fans dropped the last word and went with the "Who's he, he sucks!" they would get more participation. Me, for instance. Heck, I still yell that at the final five. Just no one else is around me.

Secondly, maybe it was the lack of students at the Thanksgiving games this weekend but on Saturday night when I was there the "seive" chant was the lamest thing I have ever heard. I think that baby needs better coordination. Sieve chant is still great, if you can get everybody to do it.

Yep, I'm a chant expert.

The sieve chant has always sucked because no one besides the students does it. Top that off with the students having absolutely no coordination whatsoever and disaster results. Most people do it way too fast. I myself call this Premature Sievealation. ;)

I doubt we would get much participation if we dropped s___ for the "who's he" cheer. We don't get any participation in other cheers, why would this one be any different?

Here is a simple solution. Someone in the student section needs to take up a collection and buy a loud, electronic megaphone. Then, he/she can say, "Ok, all together now, Sieve! Sieve! Sieve!" :D Maybe someone could give him a conductor's wand or something, too. I agree, the sieve chant has always been pathetic. Is it shameful for adults to sieve a goalie? ;)

What we need is more goalies like the one from Denver (??what was his name??). He used to help the crowd on the road with their sieve chant by waving his arms and goalie stick.....That was awesome! ;)

Are you thinking of Wallinheimo? He was good enough that he didn't care what we thought. He'd always put on a little show (especially at opposing rinks) skating around and shooting at the crowd with his stick, etc... I think he was around 92-95 or something like that.

We were debating whether we could get tp in this weekend to give to Finger. How in the world could we get a megaphone in? And assuming we get it in, how long are we gonna get to keep it before the sectuiry guards decide it is a risk to world safety and it is taken from us? ;)

Have faith, diggler, have faith. :D I've only been patted down one time by security, and that was at the first game. I think I can squish a role of toilet paper in my coat. The only problem we run into is that we're so cheap at my house, that we actually stole 6 months worth of dorm toilet paper when we moved into our place! :D;)

Maybe you could also give Finger some instructions on how to get out of the penalty box. I'm thinking of a simple diagram with a red "You are here" X, an arrow pointing at the penalty box gate and a sentence or two on how to operate the gate. ;)

Maybe you could also give Finger some instructions on how to get out of the penalty box. I'm thinking of a simple diagram with a red "You are here" X, an arrow pointing at the penalty box gate and a sentence or two on how to operate the gate. ;)

You know that might be pretty good. Just paste up a little "You Are Here" map. :D