SiouxSports.com Forum

Media Stories on the Sioux Name

star2city

He responded to my email; his only contention was that he did not believe the majority of Native Americans supported the nickname. That would have taken at least 5-10 minutes to find on the web...Obviously he did zero research on this story and is just happy to be collecting a paycheck.

He responded to my post on the website, but only by giving his definition of " political correctness" and "boring". He didn't respond to any of the facts I laid out for him. He sounded like a little kid. WHat a tool!

He responded to my email; his only contention was that he did not believe the majority of Native Americans supported the nickname. That would have taken at least 5-10 minutes to find on the web...Obviously he did zero research on this story and is just happy to be collecting a paycheck.

One tribe votes in the 60's% to support the nickname and now the majority of Native Americans in this country must support the nickname!

:silly: Gotta love the pro-nicknamer's logic.

So focused on what they want, they don't bother to do a simple Google search. Their tunnel vision is focused on some activist's anal quarters.

According to polling results published in Sports Illustrated in February 2002,

Although most Native American activists and tribal leaders consider Indian team names and mascots offensive, neither Native Americans in general nor a cross section of U.S. sports fans agree.According to the article, "There is a near total disconnect between Indian activists and the Native American population on this issue."

In 2004, a poll by the Annenberg Public Policy Center at the University of Pennsylvania essentially confirmed the Sports Illustrated poll's findings, concluding that 91% of the American Indians surveyed in the 48 states on the mainland USA found the name acceptable and setting out in detail the exact wording of the questions

http://www.boston.com/news/globe/editorial_opinion/oped/articles/2005/06/05/sports_mascots_and_native_americans/

One tribe votes in the 60's% to support the nickname and now the majority of Native Americans in this country must support the nickname!

Maybe I've been misunderstanding this whole time...I thought we only needed approval from these 2 tribes.

Gotta love the anti-nicknamer's logic...yell as loud as you can about how bad and offensive the name is and try to not let anyone vote on it, because once they do vote you know it'll pass by an overwhelming majority!

I remember on ESPN's Outside The Lines about Indian nicknames. They had some jackass white guy saying names are offensive on the other part of the screen was a Seminole Indian, and he said "Its nice to see white people telling Natives what are offensive". And isn't that the truth. How many of these PC idiots are non-natives, and how many pro-nickname supporters are natives. His quote sums it up perfectly.

OK you tool. If a majority vote is not good enough for you, can I please for the love of god have a new president. Because I dont like the way the vote turned out. So lets get someone in there that I agree with. But let me guess someone else might not like the guy I choose, well too bad for them.

Go away you total Tool!

OK you tool. If a majority vote is not good enough for you, can I please for the love of god have a new president. Because I dont like the way the vote turned out. So lets get someone in there that I agree with. But let me guess someone else might not like the guy I choose, well too bad for them.

Go away you total Tool!

I'm not nearly as sarcastic as you are, but I can't wait to have a President with an 100% approval rating.

It will happen the same day that everyone who enters the lottery wins it, GM decides that they're going to go out of business and give away all their cars to the first X many people who shows up until they're all gone, Fort KNox decides that Yu-gi-oh cards are worth more than gold and raids the local card shop dropping bars of gold for every card they can get their hand on, and so on.

So, yeah, that'll be any day now. :silly:

Has anyone had the foresight to send a link to this message board (this thread in particular) to the Summit League offices so that Tom Douple can read the spirited debate? Heck, he'll probably send a memo to the Presidents of all the member schools, requesting an emergency meeting to issue apologies around and pay UND to join the League with the invite deemed to be retroactive to the same date USD was invited.

Incidently, I've met Tom Douple and have gotten to know him a little bit. Tom was a top-notch 3,000 meter runner for LSU in the mid 70s (Chewie, not the right age for Vietnam War protests....I know you were being sarcastic). He's a good guy.

Carry on...this is pretty entertaining reading for an outsider.

Has anyone had the foresight to send a link to this message board (this thread in particular) to the Summit League offices so that Tom Douple can read the spirited debate?

JBB and Lakes and their ilk have been bombarding the Summit League offices with anything that is potentially embarrassing to UND. Welcome to their club!

JBB and Lakes and their ilk have been bombarding the Summit League offices with anything that is potentially embarrassing to UND. Welcome to their club!

Ouch! Geez, linking anyone with Lakes is pretty bad stuff. I'm not very familiar with JBB's body of work but that goofy Lakes has mental problems.

I'm not bombarding anyone with anything...was just being a smarta@# but it is entertaining reading. MplsBison (he's tedious and I get tired of reading his posts: over the past several months, he seems to have figured out hundreds of ways to say the same thing over and over and over and....) is like a kid sticking a stick into a beehive.

By the way, I see lots of advantages to having UND in the Summit League.

I'll keep reading.

You keep entertaining.

Ouch! Geez, linking anyone with Lakes is pretty bad stuff. I'm not very familiar with JBB's body of work but that goofy Lakes has mental problems.

I'm not bombarding anyone with anything...was just being a smarta@# but it is entertaining reading. MplsBison (he's tedious and I get tired of reading his posts: over the past several months, he seems to have figured out hundreds of ways to say the same thing over and over and over and....) is like a kid sticking a stick into a beehive.

I'll keep reading.

You keep entertaining.

Is that a bad thing?

I'll keep reading.

You keep entertaining.

JBB? That guy's been getting kicked off message boards since the 1990's. Anybody remember the old egroups dII football board, which was kind of the predecessor to d2football.com? I believe that was his original stomping grounds. He didn't last too long, but that was where his legend began... :silly:

I'd ask for the anti-nicknamer's logic but neither one of them could get off work.

Best case is Standing Rock holding a special vote early June and it passing.

Then what? Are both SR and SL going to sign 30 year contracts to support the nickname?

The World is coming to an end in 2012...we only need 2 more years. :sad: