SiouxSports.com Forum

Media Stories on the Sioux Name

star2city

I thought it was a well-written article. Just very horrible logic. I would think we should be praising this kind of stuff, as it effectively kills the legitimacy of the anti-nickname mumbo jumbo better than anything else can. And the best part is they are doing it to themselves. So, three cheers for faulty logic. Hip, hip horray! Hip, hip horray!, Hip, hip horray!

I thought it was a well-written article. Just very horrible logic. I would think we should be praising this kind of stuff, as it effectively kills the legitimacy of the anti-nickname mumbo jumbo better than anything else can. And the best part is they are doing it to themselves. So, three cheers for faulty logic. Hip, hip horray! Hip, hip horray!, Hip, hip horray!

Usually the "...don't bother me with your sophomoric ideas..." statement can be translated verbatim as "I really can't refute your central argument; so instead I'll attack you personally." This writer lives up to that stereotype.

Well, horrible logic and all, it's still being bought and believed and forwarded by administrators and faculty and a few complainers to can the nickname and parties in positions of authority are not opposing it. Everyone knows it's baloney logic. It's just that certain politicos do not have the spine to stand up to the few whiners and screamers.

It's just that certain politicos do not have the spine to stand up to the few whiners and screamers.

And people can criticize me all they want; but if you don't stand up to the extremely small (but vocal) minority, then do
not
complain when your contributions dry up.

I don't agree with you. I will not support you. I have no obligation to do so.

Well, horrible logic and all, it's still being bought and believed and forwarded by administrators and faculty and a few complainers to can the nickname and parties in positions of authority are not opposing it. Everyone knows it's baloney logic. It's just that certain politicos do not have the spine to stand up to the few whiners and screamers.
It may not be right, but it feels right, and isn't that what is really important?

It may not be right, but it feels right, and isn't that what is really important?

This reminds me of the quote I referenced (in another thread) from the TV show that pokes fun at the ultra-environmentalists.
..when a Goode child apologizes to his parent for driving too much, and the parent responds, "It's OK ... what's important is that you feel guilty about it,"...

• 2 months later...

www.kxmc.com

President Kelley thinks this is an exciting time? I don't know too many people that are "excited" over how the nickname and logo situation has been handled by the SBHE. Goofy choice of words in my opinion. Either he is really trying to spin this or he is oblivious to how alumni and fans are going to react if the name is retired.

Maybe I'm being overly sensative but it kind of bugs me how carefree and chipper he is talking about the possability of dropping the Sioux name. He kind of comes across like it won't be a big deal.

www.kxmc.com

President Kelley thinks this is an exciting time? I don't know too many people that are "excited" over how the nickname and logo situation has been handled by the SBHE. Goofy choice of words in my opinion. Either he is really trying to spin this or he is oblivious to how alumni and fans are going to react if the name is retired.

Maybe I'm being overly sensative but it kind of bugs me how carefree and chipper he is talking about the possability of dropping the Sioux name. He kind of comes across like it won't be a big deal.

I don't think this guy has a clue what he doing when it comes to the Fighting Sioux name. I think he will find out he is going to be in the middle of a world of

S#!t if the name is changed.

www.kxmc.com

Yeah,I really don't think Kelley gives a !@#$ about the name and logo.Which angers me to no end,being the President of the university he should care about it more then anybody.If he doesn't care about our traditions and legacy he shouldn't even be here.He'll be getting a lot of backlash if the name and logo does end up having to be changed. :angry:

Yeah,I really don't think Kelley gives a !@#$ about the name and logo.Which angers me to no end,being the President of the university he should care about it more then anybody.If he doesn't care about our traditions and legacy he shouldn't even be here.He'll be getting a lot of backlash if the name and logo does end up having to be changed. :angry:

President Kelley has absolutely no say in whether the nickname and logo stay or go. He came into the situation when the decisions had already been made, the court case was already settled and the State Board of Higher Education (his bosses) were setting up a timeline. They tell him whether the nickname is going to change or not, the most he could do is give them a recommendation. His job is to make the best of the situation and try to move the University forward no matter what the final decision is. Any backlash should be directed at the ones that deserve it, the SBoHE and the NC$$.

President Kelley has absolutely no say in whether the nickname and logo stay or go. He came into the situation when the decisions had already been made, the court case was already settled and the State Board of Higher Education (his bosses) were setting up a timeline. They tell him whether the nickname is going to change or not, the most he could do is give them a recommendation. His job is to make the best of the situation and try to move the University forward no matter what the final decision is. Any backlash should be directed at the ones that deserve it, the SBoHE and the NC$$.

Oh I know,SBHE and the NCAA deserve more backlash then anyone,it is their fault.I just wish Kelley cared a little bit more.

Oh I know,SBHE and the NCAA deserve more backlash then anyone,it is their fault.I just wish Kelley cared a little bit more.

I expect to hear more than this is an exciting time. I don't look at changing the name as exciting. If anything it makes me angry Ugh...

www.kxmc.com

Of course he's going to talk about this being an exciting time. What good does it do him to whine and complain about potentially having to change the name? It would make some people feel better for a little while, but it does nothing to make the situation better in the long run. All it would do is extend the time period when people are bitter and it would probably cause trouble for him with his bosses, the SBoHE.

For example, instead of running the University let's say he was running a factory owned by a big corporation. The corporation makes some decision that isn't popular with employees, like cutting pay 10%, or everyone has to work every Saturday. He probably wouldn't like the decision any more than any other employee, but why would he publicly complain about it to the employees and to the press? What could he possibly gain by doing that? He would get into trouble with his bosses and it would cause even more trouble in his factory. His best bet would be to talk about the good things happening at the factory (instead of the bad) or try to say this is a good thing because cutting pay or adding hours is better than closing the factory and losing jobs.

Kelley's job is going to be to move the University forward and make the best of the situation, whatever the final decision. He has to be positive about the situation. Moving to Division I and the potential of getting into a conference are big deals. Coming up with a new nickname and logo that can be used for years is an important decision. He isn't making the final decision on the nickname, that is being dictated by the SBoHE. So he is going to take that decision and make it work as best he can.

I expect to hear more than this is an exciting time. I don't look at changing the name as exciting. If anything it makes me angry Ugh...

Changing the name isn't exciting at all,it's really depressing.Makes me angry too.The fact that the university president doesn't seem to care about the name doesn't help anything.

Why? He has no real ties to the school other than a paycheck, and he has no real authority to affect any change to the outcome. As was noted, he came into this situation after its conclusion was largely decided. He has a bad hand and he's trying to make the best of the situation.

Who picks the people on the Board?? Are they voted if so its time for a new board.

Directly from the website:

State Board of Higher Education

The eight-member State Board of Higher Education is the policy-setting body for the North Dakota University System. The board includes seven citizen members appointed by the governor who serve four-year terms and one student appointed by the governor for a one-year term. A non-voting faculty advisor is selected by the Council of College Faculties.

The SBoHE runs all of the public institutions of higher education in the state of North Dakota. I would be very surprised if any decision on a board member would be based on how they feel about the sports nickname of any single school. They have to deal with hiring executives, how to set up budgets for the various campuses based on the allocations from the state and student fees, problems like binge drinking on campus, etc. The UND Fighting Sioux nickname is important to Fighting Sioux sports fans, less important to other sports fans and UND supporters, and not important to a sizable population of the state. The SBoHE should have left the decisions on the nickname to the University and just stepped in if there was an issue the U couldn't handle. But because they took on the decision making authority they are going to finish the process. The state isn't going to change out the entire board because of the Fighting Sioux nickname (I believe it was a unanimous decision to accept the court settlement and also to set the October 1 deadline).

Changing the name isn't exciting at all,it's really depressing.Makes me angry too.The fact that the university president doesn't seem to care about the name doesn't help anything.

He can't show caring one way or the other. He has to be neutral in order to keep peace with both sides...that is called being a politician. As a person who has spoken to President Kelley about the university and its traditions, I can tell you that he and AD Faison both care a great deal about the University and keeping our traditions and legacies alive as we move forward. They want to keep as much of the traditions as they can, but they can only go with the hand that they are dealt and they don't get to make the decisions here.

People, please, it takes two parties to carry on a conversation.

One side has tried dialog; the other side not only rejects it but has shut it down.

So, if you insist on fixing the blame please fix it where it belongs: Ron His Horse is Thunder and his ilk.

Here's why:

http://forum.siouxsports.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=402972

• 3 weeks later...

A Dave Kolpack piece... U of ND faces deadline on Fighting Sioux name

Brett Potas is so angry the University of North Dakota may drop its Fighting Sioux nickname that he's canceled his season hockey tickets and says he won't give his alma mater another dime.

"They tried to get me to think about it. I said that I've been thinking about it for years," Potas said. He says he doesn't want to be associated with a university that takes a politically correct position.

• 1 month later...

Didn't see this in the "Sioux Name in Trouble Again Thread" (sorry if I missed it). More national press on the issue:

Tribe battles to keep logo for Fighting Sioux

The most prominent defenders of the University of North Dakota's right to call its teams the Fighting Sioux are neither alumni nor hockey fans. They're Sioux.

A group of Spirit Lake Sioux won a temporary restraining order last week to stop the North Dakota University System from retiring the nickname and logo, one of the last in the country associated with an American Indian tribe.

The committee's decision to weigh in on the Fighting Sioux nickname is the latest - and most ironic - twist in a decades-old debate over the university's nickname and logo. While Spirit Lake Sioux members are fighting to save the name, they're meeting resistance from largely nonnative groups like the faculty Senate, the College Anti-Racism Team and even the state Board of Higher Education.