SiouxSports.com Forum

Possible replacement names

Brent_Bobyck

If we have to change the name it's best we go without a nickname and let the current traditions continue to be carried on by the fans. It would be the ultimate defiant gesture towards the NCAA. If ten years from now the students and fans decide they want a nickname then they can adopt one then. Until then I say we remain simply the University of North Dakota. Besides Flickertails is awful and it's what other schools call us when they're poking fun at us and we should never be the Rough Riders because that pompous jackass Phil Jackson suggested it. I think it would be great if next year when he shows up at a basketball game to be honored we boo his ass right off the floor and remind him that people remember when you turn your back on where you came from.

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If we have to change the name it's best we go without a nickname and let the current traditions continue to be carried on by the fans. It would be the ultimate defiant gesture towards the NCAA. If ten years from now the students and fans decide they want a nickname then they can adopt one then. Until then I say we remain simply the University of North Dakota. Besides Flickertails is awful and it's what other schools call us when they're poking fun at us and we should never be the Rough Riders because that pompous jackass Phil Jackson suggested it. I think it would be great if next year when he shows up at a basketball game to be honored we boo his ass right off the floor and remind him that people remember when you turn your back on where you came from.

Agreed. If all else fails, just drop the nickname and be North Dakota. North Dakota Hockey, North Dakota Football, North Dakota Basketball... North Dakota. Let the fans do the rest.

Picking a new PC name is abso-f-ing-lutely wrong in so many ways. I say, put up the good fight and then play that card at the very end. Let them know that there is no other name suitable for this tradition, this great program.

I'm so disgusted with the NCAA exec committe I could spew.

taz

Besides Flickertails is awful and it's what other schools call us when they're poking fun at us and we should never be the Rough Riders because that pompous jackass Phil Jackson suggested it. I think it would be great if next year when he shows up at a basketball game to be honored we boo his ass right off the floor and remind him that people remember when you turn your back on where you came from.

You'll never get the chance. The jerkoff turned his back on UND and his past a long time ago and doubt you'll ever see him back any time soon. :lol:

I am guessing the NCAA would continue to ban UND from hosting if the fans continued to do the things the NCAA considers to be "hostile" and "abusive". Just a guess but I wouldn't doubt it if the NCAA considered the fans carrying on the Sioux tradition as carrying on the hostility and abuse even though they don't include fans in the list of players, cheerleaders, band members, and whoever else their list included.

I am guessing the NCAA would continue to ban UND from hosting if the fans continued to do the things the NCAA considers to be "hostile" and "abusive". Just a guess but I wouldn't doubt it if the NCAA considered the fans carrying on the Sioux tradition as carrying on the hostility and abuse even though they don't include fans in the list of players, cheerleaders, band members, and whoever else their list included.

Ha-they already said they can't stop the fans from wearing whatever they want because of free speech :D

Wow, we'd be right in tune with the NCAA's TR award!

I know. They couldn't say a word about TR and the Rough Riders because he is regarded as the original founder of the NCAA (or at least the force behind its creation). If they had a problem with TR they'd have to look themselves in the mirror too.

It'd be right in the NCAA's face.

You'll never get the chance. The jerkoff turned his back on UND and his past a long time ago and doubt you'll ever see him back any time soon. :D

Supposedly he's being honored next season at a basketball game with and honorary doctorate or something of that nature. The alumni association is trying to get him back for that.

Once a Fighting Sioux always a Fighting Sioux. I won't be cheering "let's go Flickertails" that's for sure!

Yea! I will always cheer for the Fighting Sioux, never will I abandon them. I don't think I will ever cheer for any other nickname UND might use. If they change the name I don't know if I will still cheer for UND but if I do it will almost surely be for the Sioux not whatever they might change the name to. Fighting Sioux Forever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No, the word 'Red' is "hostile and abusive" to Native Americans so that's out.

Redwing77 is partly correct. When NCAA president Myles Brand was asked how it was that the nickname "Red Men" was okay for Carthage College but "Redmen" was not, he gave this explanation:

I wonder what they'd do if we called ourselves the "Seminoles" ...

It's been suggested that if the approval of local Cherokee tribes could be obtained, "Cherokee" would be an option that wouldn't require millions of dollars of logo-removing facility renovations.

It's been suggested that if the approval of local Cherokee tribes could be obtained, "Cherokee" would be an option that wouldn't require millions of dollars of logo-removing facility renovations.

Serously, I didn't even know that ND had Cherokees'.

I was thinking it was Chippewah or Ojibway. Either way, works for me.

I just ran into a group of hockey fans from the Standing Rock Reservation that are all for keeping the name. Granted there were less than a dozen of them, but it's reassuring to know we don't offend everybody.

GO SIOUX!

I just ran into a group of hockey fans from the Standing Rock Reservation that are all for keeping the name. Granted there were less than a dozen of them, but it's reassuring to know we don't offend everybody.

GO SIOUX!

I suppose GK will dismiss them as irrelevant.