SiouxSports.com Forum

Possible replacement names

Brent_Bobyck

• Replies 274
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know this is going to seem odd and completely ludicrous, but so is this entire NCAA regulation so here goes:

What about renaming every team but the hockey team to something else? The post season rules only really affect them, not the hockey team. The NCAA already decided that they wanted to hold all regionals at neutral sites and will only assign such sites after 2006 (unless already named... IIRC). So, in other words, apart from the jersey and more than likely the commentating, it doesn't affect the hockey team at all.

So... what do you think?

Just drop the nickname entirely for the football and basketball teams and there you go?

I am not just a Fighting Sioux hockey fan. I am also, admittedly to a lesser extent, a Fighting Sioux all athletics fan. So what do I think of your suggestion....

Pffffttttt. But, that's only what I think. :D

I can't believe that in America it's citizens are loosing their right towards freedom of expression and freedom of free speech. Americans are loosing their amendment rights so that we can no longer say what we want, when we want. This country is so concerned on trivial things that we forget about what is important. We have service men and women fighting for our rights overseas, but in our own country we are fighting for the same thing against each other.

I think that in this case, majority should rule. Put the vote to the people who matter the most...the students, athletes and alumni. Let their voices be heard and the final say should come from that decision. We still have a right towards freedom of speech and a majority rule. If that many people are not offended by the name so be it. Sticks and stones may break my bones but words can never hurt me ;)

FIGHT ON SIOUX FOREVER!!

I know this is going to seem odd and completely ludicrous, but so is this entire NCAA regulation so here goes:

What about renaming every team but the hockey team to something else? The post season rules only really affect them, not the hockey team. The NCAA already decided that they wanted to hold all regionals at neutral sites and will only assign such sites after 2006 (unless already named... IIRC). So, in other words, apart from the jersey and more than likely the commentating, it doesn't affect the hockey team at all.

So... what do you think?

Just drop the nickname entirely for the football and basketball teams and there you go?

Good post Redwing! I have been thinking the same thing for a while now. The football and basketball teams could go without a nickname and go with generic uniforms in order to get playoff games at home.....OR they could be The University of North Dakota "Fighting Mad"......OR they could also keep the Fighting Sioux name, and use the NC$$ ruling as added incentive to kick some a$$ on the road in the playoffs. Yes, alot of revenue would be sacrificed, but team and school pride would never be higher. And as you noted above, the hockey team would not be directly affected (other than new playoff jerseys) since they would always be on the road anyway. Hopefully we will clean up in court and never have to worry about changing the name of any of our teams....

The state of Minnesota nickname is The Gopher State.

The state of Nebraskas nickname is the Cornhusker State.

The state of Wisconsins nickname is the Badger State.

The state of Michigans nicknames are The Wolverine State, The Great Lakes State.

The state of Iowas nicknames are The Hawkeye State, The Tall Corn State.

The state of North Dakotas nicknames are Peace Garden State, Roughrider State, Flickertail State

I see a trend that I would like to see continue.

If indeed the worst case scenario is a name change, I like the Fighting Soo

SOO_213Bt_Neenah_WI_7-1966.jpg

Yeah, but than you have THAT Union all over your ass looking for help with pensions so they can retire at 40 and wealthy rather than 50 and wealthy.. :lol:

(I shoulda been a railroad worker :lol: )

The state of Michigans nicknames are The Wolverine State, The Great Lakes State.

The state of North Dakotas nicknames are Peace Garden State, Roughrider State, Flickertail State

Also if Montreal can be the Canadiens (or the NY Yankees), I think the University of North Dakota can be the Americans.

Canadiens has a "weird logo" that doesn't really represent "them," UND could use the same logo (the current indian head). Afterall Native Americans are also Americans. :lol: It's perfect. (We'd essentially be dropping the Native from UND "native americans.")

In another strange twist the Canadiens minor league affiliate is the IceDogs. (People had ealier thrown out the idea of the SunDogs as a possible replacement name).

Here are a few names we could use:

The Milk Drinkers - ND State Beverage - we could have a cup of milk tipped over pouring out as our mascot.

Square Dancers - ND State Dance

Meadowlarks - ND State Bird - we could have a Meadowlark taking a crap on Myles Brand head as our logo?

This one I actually kinda like,

The Northern Pikes- ND State Fish - A northern pike biting Myles Brand's head off as our logo?

or we could try some of these:

Southern Canadians - since ND is pretty close to the same thing eh!

ABOOTs - for the way most people in ND say ABOUT!

BOOT - for the way most people in ND say BOAT!

The Toe-st - for the way most people in ND say TOAST!

or The Fighting Ole's or Fighting Lena's or Fighting Swen's! :lol:

I think I may have just found the winner of the UND Name Competition!

Teredo Petrified Wood - ND State Fossil - We could have Myles Brand's Petrified Wood as our logo!! :lol:

If this is a good precedent, then add in South Dakota, the Coyote State.

Great trend of the State animal is the University of symbol. Then, Flickertail is the recommended choice. AND KEEPS YOU OUT OF THE "FOR HER PLEASURE" TAUNTS :lol:

Great trend of the State animal is the University of symbol. Then, Flickertail is the recommended choice. AND KEEPS YOU OUT OF THE "FOR HER PLEASURE" TAUNTS :lol:

With "Goldie Gopher" as a conference rival in a major UND sport you'd want to steer clear of anything resembling rodentia for identity and licensing issue concerns.

Saddle up. :lol:

Maybe we could borrow this one.

whitedevslab.png

I like this one the very Best. The White Devils. That is great.

I still thought the UND Fighting Attorneys would be great. the Chant lets co Sue is still inplay. My Uncle in fargo thinks the name should be the UND Fu$#@#$. I can just hear people around the water cooler. So did you see the F%$#$@# game last night it was great. Those Fu&%#$@ can really skate.

Just a thought.

With "Goldie Gopher" as a conference rival in a major UND sport you'd want to steer clear of anything resembling rodentia for identity and licensing issue concerns.

Saddle up. :)

:lol: Be Flick Flickertail, LOL :lol:

Of course, the Attorney (fighting) Sue works well for the JD school that UND is. Then just change symbol to a Judge, and still use all the same cheers. LOL

The Fighting Peace Gardens!