SiouxSports.com Forum

2024-25 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

Frozen4sioux

1 hour ago, cberkas said:

I see they say upgrades to the Arena will be announced at a later date.   I assume they are going to have new concessions and what not.  Anyone know any of the plans?

17 hours ago, Bleedn Green said:

We went last year and stayed at the Elm's.  Nice hotel downtown close to restaurants and bars. The authentic german restaurant and speakeasy's were my favorite, but had a great time everywhere we went.  The Arena is an easy walk through campus from the downtown area. Had a lot of fun with both the ND and Redhawk fans, highly recommend the visit.

Thank you for the info.

Just did a quick look over the roster, and can't remember a year in recent memory that we had so much size.  There are 12 guys on the roster 6'2 or above.  Did some research and last year there were 9 guys that tall, and the years before we averaged about 6 to 7 kids that size.

Eleven new faces this year, 6 of the 11 are 6'2 plus.  Heavy hockey a priority? 

Edit*
Sigh....the tallest team since 10-11......and I don't want to talk about that one......     

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Just did a quick look over the roster, and can't remember a year in recent memory that we had so much size.  There are 12 guys on the roster 6'2 or above.  Did some research and last year there were 9 guys that tall, and the years before we averaged about 6 to 7 kids that size.

I think they made an effort last summer to get more guys with some size because it was pretty obvious in the 2022-23 season that our smaller defensemen in particular were getting pushed around. 

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, brianvf said:

Some upcoming season highlights.
Two guests for One More Shift are Dixon Ward on 10/25 and Dennis Hextall on 2/8.

Ward IMO is top 5 all time to put on a UND jersey.  Was a treat to watch.

1 hour ago, Oxbow6 said:

Those teams he was on with Greg Johnson et. al didn't win a banner, but they sure could put the puck in the net.  

5 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

Agreed! He was one of my favorite players growing up. :)
My son and I are planning our annual trip to ND again…I know it’s early but please let me know if you might have a pair of extra tickets laying around…it’d be fun to join your group again! Thinking either WMU in mid Jan or CC in early Feb. Thank you!

On 8/28/2024 at 4:29 PM, Wilbur said:

Edit*
Sigh....the tallest team since 10-11......and I don't want to talk about that one......     

We just need some of them to eat a few protein bars and hang out with Pooly. Emery is a string bean (172 lbs won’t cut it even if it’s all lean muscle) and will need to be bulking up big time over the next 2 years. He and Boisvert can hit the weights and dining centers together. Still excited to see how Emery uses that long reach to kill plays, though. 

41 minutes ago, hockeytherapy13 said:

We just need some of them to eat a few protein bars and hang out with Pooly. Emery is a string bean (172 lbs won’t cut it even if it’s all lean muscle) and will need to be bulking up big time over the next 2 years. He and Boisvert can hit the weights and dining centers together. Still excited to see how Emery uses that long reach to kill plays, though. 

Agreed on Emery’s size (at 6’3”), but hard for most of us to even comprehend how freakishly lean he is. Most competitive bodybuilders at show weight won’t ever achieve the 3.64% bf he registered at the combine. Even pushing him up to an average 12-15% bf of a solid college athlete, he’d be pushing close to 200# and we wouldn’t think anything of it. Adding 10# + of muscle (and even 10#) of fat, and he’ll be an absolute unit. Combined with his elite athleticism, it’ll be fun to see what he can do. 

• Upvote 1

Some more info on the One More Shift duo:

https://www.grandforksherald.com/sports/und-hockey/dennis-hextall-dixon-ward-to-skate-one-more-shift-at-und

This is super cool...at 81 years old!  Nice.

On April 4, 1968, Dennis Hextall took the ice for the New York Rangers.

In doing so, he became the first UND player to suit up in an NHL game.

Hextall, who started that trend more than 50 years ago, will be back on campus this season. He is scheduled to participate in UND's 'One More Shift' event, where former UND greats suit up in full uniform, are introduced during pregame starting lineups and skate a couple of laps around the zone.

Hextall, age 81, is planning to suit up in full gear and skate.

8 hours ago, brianvf said:

Agreed! He was one of my favorite players growing up. :)
My son and I are planning our annual trip to ND again…I know it’s early but please let me know if you might have a pair of extra tickets laying around…it’d be fun to join your group again! Thinking either WMU in mid Jan or CC in early Feb. Thank you!

You pick the series and I'll have two tickets for both nights for you. I'll be down for the ASU series....sun, golf and hockey.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Oxbow6 said:

You pick the series and I'll have two tickets for both nights for you. I'll be down for the ASU series....sun, golf and hockey.

Awesome man, we appreciate it!  I'll let you know when we finalize plans... :)

We'll be trying to get tickets for the ASU series as well.  I'm waiting for their single game ticket sales to open up.

Thanks again!

44 minutes ago, brianvf said:

Awesome man, we appreciate it!  I'll let you know when we finalize plans... :)

We'll be trying to get tickets for the ASU series as well.  I'm waiting for their single game ticket sales to open up.

Thanks again!

Anyone know of the date that ASU will offer single-game tickets?

1 hour ago, krustyklown said:

Anyone know of the date that ASU will offer single-game tickets?

1 hour ago, cberkas said:

Month before the season starts

I have a feeling it'll be a tough ticket to get with all the UND alumni down here, plus the fans wanting to travel south for some hockey during the midwest winter.
That arena won't be able to fit all the UND fans, that's for sure.  :)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, brianvf said:

I have a feeling it'll be a tough ticket to get with all the UND alumni down here, plus the fans wanting to travel south for some hockey during the midwest winter.
That arena won't be able to fit all the UND fans, that's for sure.  :)

9/10 is when I'd expect the ASU tickets to go on sale.

If you haven't been to the arena sections 114 (band, drumline, and cheerleaders' section), 115, 116, and 117 is the student sections. this is the end UND defends twice. They don't allow drinking in there and after Christmas they have tickets available there. It first come first serve if you get a ticket in those sections. And they stop serving alcohol at the start of the 3rd but not sure if that includes the Coors Light Club Chill area. Fun fact: They only allowed me to buy 3 beers at a time :lol:

I still feel they needed an upper bowl with suites that go all the way around, especially for what they use the arena for. I looked at the price of tickets when Minnesota was here to talk my parents to coming down. $400 per seat at ice level in section 109. I've seen UND fans at every game I've been to there and I wouldn't be surprised if some of the season tickets are UND fans that live down there.

Denver must really not want UND fans, every other game tickets go on sale 9/10 UND 11/1 :lol:

Looks like there are resale tickets for the ASU games on Mullet Arenas website (and there is not many). $399 - $603 (Friday 8 tickets total) and $575 - $603 (Saturday 4 tickets total) the tickets are pairs. 9/12 looks to be the GA ticket sales date.

It's not even close looking at resales, UND is the most expensive and has the least available.

• Upvote 1

Here’s my preseason guess for the NCHC 

1) DU

2) CC

3) Nodak

4) Duluth 

5) Western

6) Clown

7) Omaha 

8) ASU

9) Miami 

Seems like 2-8 might be a blender because any of those teams could get in a log jam. Guessing Duluth makes a big jump compared to last year. Also thinking Arizona had a tougher-than-expected welcome to the NCHC due to their youth and finishes bottom 3.

The NCHC will be very hard to predict this season.  A lot of talent, but every team has a question mark or two (or more).
I'm putting them into three tiers of three teams each.  But I'll prob be way off anyway.  :D 

Lower tier:

Miami - D & goalie are still an unknown and there isn't a ton of offensive firepower outside of Waldron and maybe QU transfer Fillion.
UNO - they lost a lot but picked up a couple quality UAF transfers in Risk & Israels. Latkoczy will need to be good to offset their lack of depth.
ASU - nice offensive pieces in the Jackson's, Sillinger, and Lucius but I think the grind of NCHC play will be a wake-up call from their last few seasons of mostly home games.

Middle tier:

WMU - once again lost a ton on offense...can Wendt & Bump carry their offense alone? Great frosh goalie coming in, but I think a down year for the Broncos.
UMD - older D corps, James will need to be good after his injury last season until the Plante bros & Shaugabay get up to NCHC speed...Gajan should be solid.
SCSU - Ingram & Miettinen will look to carry their offense...solid but not flashy D...their biggest question mark is in goal IMO.

Upper tier:

CC - young D corps, Mbereko is a stud, Laba returning was huge...skilled & hard-skating team.
UND - another young D corps but good mix of skill & def ability, lost Blake but best offensive depth in the league IMO, will TJ and Hobie rotate or will one emerge early?
DU - Buium & Pohlkamp two of the best in league, Devine returning was big because they lost a lot of offense, goalie Davis will need to be consistent during reg season.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, brianvf said:

The NCHC will be very hard to predict this season.  A lot of talent, but every team has a question mark or two (or more).
I'm putting them into three tiers of three teams each.  But I'll prob be way off anyway.  :D 

Lower tier:

Miami - D & goalie are still an unknown and there isn't a ton of offensive firepower outside of Waldron and maybe QU transfer Fillion.
UNO - they lost a lot but picked up a couple quality UAF transfers in Risk & Israels. Latkoczy will need to be good to offset their lack of depth.
ASU - nice offensive pieces in the Jackson's, Sillinger, and Lucius but I think the grind of NCHC play will be a wake-up call from their last few seasons of mostly home games.

Middle tier:

WMU - once again lost a ton on offense...can Wendt & Bump carry their offense alone? Great frosh goalie coming in, but I think a down year for the Broncos.
UMD - older D corps, James will need to be good after his injury last season until the Plante bros & Shaugabay get up to NCHC speed...Gajan should be solid.
SCSU - Ingram & Miettinen will look to carry their offense...solid but not flashy D...their biggest question mark is in goal IMO.

Upper tier:

CC - young D corps, Mbereko is a stud, Laba returning was huge...skilled & hard-skating team.
UND - another young D corps but good mix of skill & def ability, lost Blake but best offensive depth in the league IMO, will TJ and Hobie rotate or will one emerge early?
DU - Buium & Pohlkamp two of the best in league, Devine returning was big because they lost a lot of offense, goalie Davis will need to be consistent during reg season.

Ha When I was figuring out my rankings  I did 3 tiers and grouped them the exact same as you. So it has to play out that way, right? 

• Upvote 1