SiouxSports.com Forum

2024-25 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

Frozen4sioux

3 minutes ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Exactly. I don't understand why bringing in a portal goalie is a bad thing.

If it was the long-term not-a-solution solution I'd be against it.
But I see a long-term plan forming up (Hedquist and Heil) so a rental to get there, and back to a stable recruiting pattern and rotation, is palatable. 

I'm guessing in about a year UND will be hard in the market for a starter capable goalie two years younger than Heil. 
And a puck-eater to replace Cheese. 

• Upvote 1

One more thought on goalies and the portal:

Persson has a Covid year left but is going pro.
Was Lud the two-year plan to get us to Heil and the plan changed, thus enter Semptimphelter for a year. 

14 minutes ago, rhenry8439 said:

What if Persson hears we are getting 2 Belgian Waffle makers in the players lounge and changes his mind and doesn't go pro? Does Cheese get pushed out?

A Swede like Lud scoffs at your proposed Belgian waffle makers. For him it's kringle or bust. 

• Upvote 1

Interesting stat on new goalie TJ:

Another interesting stat about Semptimphelter: He's never been scored upon in a shootout during his college career. Semptimphelter is 13-for-13 in stopping opponent attempts.

All four shootouts came this season. He blanked Colorado College (3-for-3), Dartmouth (3-for-3), Cornell (3-for-3) and Lindenwood (4-for-4).

@Oxbow6 will be happy with that, as I know he loves the shootouts.  ;) 

• Upvote 2

Oh my ... (per Schlossman):

Shootout victories can be important for positioning in the league standings, and it's possible they could factor into the Pairwise Rankings in the future as well.

There will be discussions in Florida later this month about giving minimal weight to the shootout in the Pairwise.

Right now, a three-on-three overtime win is considered 67 percent of a regulation win. An overtime loss is 33 percent value. A shootout would be closer to 50-50 if it's given any value at all.

Question:

First-years normally help load/unload gear onto the bus. Yes, Zach Parise threw gear.

What about new guys via the portal? Or do they come in as "upperclassmen" regarding pitchin' stank bags. 

1 hour ago, brianvf said:

Another interesting stat about Semptimphelter: He's never been scored upon in a shootout during his college career. Semptimphelter is 13-for-13 in stopping opponent attempts.

All four shootouts came this season. He blanked Colorado College (3-for-3), Dartmouth (3-for-3), Cornell (3-for-3) and Lindenwood (4-for-4).

... and UND wasn't beaten with a lead after two periods all year, 20-0.    Guess this means that we need to use Hobie for shootouts now!  ;)

5 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Question:

First-years normally help load/unload gear onto the bus. Yes, Zach Parise threw gear.

What about new guys via the portal? Or do they come in as "upperclassmen" regarding pitchin' stank bags. 

Pohlkamp and Wood wouldn't have to toss so much as a toiletry bag

6 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

I'd be OK with regulation being all that matters with regard to Pairwise.  I'm not a fan of 3x3.  A tie is a legitimate result and probably what should be reflected when looking at resumes for NCAAs, which is all the Pairwise exists for.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, franchise said:

NCAA changing the rules once we get a guy who doesn't allow shootout goals. Figures;)

I say compromise and either play 7 minutes of overtime 4 on 4, or 5 on 5, and call it a tie after that.

19 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

I think it was CHNs podcast who talked with Mayotte of CC after the Omaha series loss and missing the tourney. Talks about the weight of results and how it was their demise. Was a very interesting listen hearing him talk about how they were ultimately punished for playing at home vs the road and how the results had the effect they did on pairwise leaving them out. 

6 minutes ago, Langster019 said:

I think it was CHNs podcast who talked with Mayotte of CC after the Omaha series loss and missing the tourney. Talks about the weight of results and how it was their demise. Was a very interesting listen hearing him talk about how they were ultimately punished for playing at home vs the road and how the results had the effect they did on pairwise leaving them out. 

Or just don't lose to Augustana at home.

23 minutes ago, Langster019 said:

I was really impressed with him in that interview, and by what he said about the pairwise. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Langster019 said:

I think if CC had won most of their OT games in regulation instead of OT I think that may have been enough to get them in. UMass also played a lot of OT games and they were the last team in over CC. I haven’t done a deep comparison of the two teams but all the OT games between the two jumped out.