SiouxSports.com Forum

NCAA tilt: UND vs the Maize and Blue

Oxbow6

1 minute ago, Frozen4sioux said:

How about Michigan is very talented and Skilled and played with a desire to win?

Not sugarcoating the UND play but...

Michigan is good.

Did we get a call the entire game?  I saw at least 4 clear no calls.  Think about the cost we incur not having the man advantage.

- three of their four bounces were stupid unlucky.

-i can't believe how poor of choices we make passing the puck in the trasition in the neutral zone. It's been a curse of our talented passing teams since Berry has been the coach.  Fancy passing is awesome inside the circles not in the neutral zone.

-

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SiouxScore said:

Disappointing crash to a season that showed so much promise at times.

Too many missed opportunities in the 1st. Leaving that period at only 1-0 was trouble. Too many turnovers in the 2nd half of the game just got extremely careless. Michigan definitely got some puck luck but back breaker was Persson giving up the 2nd, just cover the damn puck. Not enough urgency and getting pucks to the net, content to play on the perimeter.

Brady Berry clock is ticking. 1 ncaa win since the national championship and 3 missed tourneys when we hadn’t missed one in forever. Some say parity and I’ll never agree with that, watch the spittin chiclets video and try to sell someone on parity how many other places are even in the same ballpark with those amenities maybe a couple. Frozen Fours should be the expectation around here.

You forget that this is UND where no one's clock is ever ticking - just look at the extension Bubba got.

8 minutes ago, UNDMOORHEAD said:

I don't know if the better team won. The team that played hard after the first period won.

What’s crazy is I barely noticed Mcgorty brindly etc. Nazar popped in that one but didn’t notice him too much either. We just took another heartbreaking loss. Back to the drawing board. 

• Upvote 1

I would like to know the coaching strategy going into the third. Sitting back and playing soft is a great strategy if you want to give up goals to a talented offensive team, especially when the goaltending is average. It’s not like Michigan is a tough defensive team, cause they’re not. You have to attack them and play more in the offensive zone. Was the team gassed? They seem to have found energy the last 5 minutes when they realized their season was in jeopardy. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, scpa0305 said:

What’s crazy is I barely noticed Mcgorty brindly etc. Nazar popped in that one but didn’t notice him too much either. We just took another heartbreaking loss. Back to the drawing board. 

I think that's what sucks so bad. We lost a winnable game. It would be different if they just couldn't hang, but that didn't seem to be the case.

• Upvote 1

Berry makes a ton of money, so he should be able to take the heat.  Just repeating his mantra, to whom much is given, much is expected.  Start living up to those expectations.  Better yet, rework his contract based mostly on postseason success. Maybe he would figure out a way to motivate for a full 60 minutes.
   Hate to post when this is so fresh, but something needs to change because you risk killing the golden goose, by getting fans to be less apt to attend special games when you are like 3-13 or so with Frozen Faceoffs, destination games and regionals. Actually, would like to know the actual stats for those, compared to Hakstol.  I guess right now, I view our “culture” below several teams in our league, especially in compete and being tough to play against.  That needs to change.  
   Hope they move regionals to campus sites, because UND should no longer be bidding for them with us missing so many close to home.  Of course then we will never be a high seed again.  

3 minutes ago, UNDMOORHEAD said:

I think that's what sucks so bad. We lost a winnable game. It would be different if they just couldn't hang, but that didn't seem to be the case.

Totally. Big10 takeover is coming hot and heavy.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Cratter said:

Looks like you might have been right all along.

It's never been about being right or wrong.  It's about holding UND to the standard that it should be held to in the college hockey world.  Just look at what Brad inherited and look what we've accomplished since.  I can appreciate some NCHC titles, but I just don't those matter a ton.  I'm not even expecting titles...too much puck luck in one-and-done format tourneys.  What I want to see is having top-tier talent excited to play for our program.  I want the national pundits to rave about UND like they used to.  I want the fanbase to be excited out of their minds for two weeks with another pending trip to the Frozen Four even if it ends in tears.  The Penrose is a slow burn that no one thinks about until you have the trophy.

• Upvote 4

15 minutes ago, Parkers Pros said:

They are good. They clogged the middle and obviously watched the Omaha games a few times cause that 3rd period gave me Omaha flashbacks. No open ice, clogging up the middle, beat us to every puck, played our game back at us and we can’t / didn’t handle it well. 

And Michigan State will beat them on Sunday night.  

1 minute ago, Big A HG said:

What I want to see is having top-tier talent excited to play for our programI want the national pundits to rave about UND like they used toI want the fanbase to be excited out of their minds for two weeks with another pending trip to the Frozen Four even if it ends in tears

It's impossible to disagree about this

Just now, MafiaMan said:

I couldn’t care less about Omaha and WMU.  The real question is, “can UND beat ANYONE not named AIC in an NCAA tournament game?”

Just referencing the BIG10 takeover. I also don't care if any team in the NCHC ever wins a national championship again. As long as we're winning them I could care less about the rest of the conference. 

3 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

We’re a good program…but this is def not the same program that Hak left. Tough pill to swallow. Love this program…but it’s been tough sledding. T up the Twitter posting about Penrose wins, crazy forum posters, etc. Programs are judged by NCAA tourney performance and/or NHL players produced.

And the Goon Twitter post was just posted. I was waiting for that :) In all seriousness I am not in the axe berry camp…because I’m not sure who they’d even replace him with (and he seems like an awesome guy). But can completely understand why someone would want to assess the situation. Some of the kool aid drinkers are hilarious. 

35 minutes ago, TwamleyShuffle said:

For everyone calling for a new coach. If UMD had the same lack of patience they would have never had their run of titles. You are entitled to your opinion, but I challenge you to be more optimistic about the program. Bubs has a great recruiting class coming in next year, most everyone will be back, let’s support and see what they can do. If you don’t have faith in the team, feel free to support another team 

So how many years of mediocrity do you need to see before you admit Berry isn't it

Sorry, parity is real. 6 of 8 games decided by 1 goal. 6 of 8 games that could have gone either way. 3 of 8 games ended in OT. 
The NCHC plays tough hockey, but 3 of 4 NCHC teams in the tournament are already headed home. Denver is the only quarterfinals survivor, and Massachusetts played Denver even. 

Parity is real. 

• Like 1