SiouxSports.com Forum

2024 Early Departures and Transfer Portal

brianvf

56 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

The "reality of the game" hasn't stopped Denver from going to 4 Frozen Fours since 2016 and winning two titles with the chance to win a third next week. Meanwhile, our favorite team has one NCAA tournament win during that entire time (vs. an Alphabet Soup school from the AHA). Those are clear trends over 7 seasons (not counting the 2020 Pandemic shortened season). That is "just the way things are" and it cannot be explained away by the usual alibis posted here constantly.

The problem with this team isn't lack of physical talent (you don't win 26 games without talent). The problem is from the neck up, the lack of mental focus after clinching the Penrose at home. That is the biggest task facing this coaching staff for next year. And whether it's fair or not, lack of national success will negatively affect recruiting if it continues.

Someone on this board still continue to believe that Omaha and Colorado College are easy outs. Newsflash: ‘ they are not!’

37 minutes ago, BusinessSiouxt said:

Someone on this board still continue to believe that Omaha and Colorado College are easy outs. Newsflash: ‘ they are not!’

Some also refuse to believe Michigan's first three goals in the tournament were also insane bounces.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

1 hour ago, fightingsioux4life said:

The "reality of the game" hasn't stopped Denver from going to 4 Frozen Fours since 2016 and winning two titles with the chance to win a third next week. Meanwhile, our favorite team has one NCAA tournament win during that entire time (vs. an Alphabet Soup school from the AHA). Those are clear trends over 7 seasons (not counting the 2020 Pandemic shortened season). That is "just the way things are" and it cannot be explained away by the usual alibis posted here constantly.

The problem with this team isn't lack of physical talent (you don't win 26 games without talent). The problem is from the neck up, the lack of mental focus after clinching the Penrose at home. That is the biggest task facing this coaching staff for next year. And whether it's fair or not, lack of national success will negatively affect recruiting if it continues.

IMG_2625.jpeg

On 4/4/2024 at 4:53 PM, fightingsioux4life said:

The last month has been a total disaster for this team. Denver is in the Frozen Four and we are still searching for answers. That is what is causing my sour mood. So forgive me if I'm not giddy as a schoolgirl right now.

I am going to drop this here. There's a message here. This kind of applies to our program, too. 

It sucks that UND lost, but it's not the end of the world. Next year's team is going to be very good and will again be in the mix.

Someone asked me if this year's team might have overachieved or exceeded expectations. It might be possible. 

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

41 minutes ago, AJS said:

You consider Michigan’s 2nd goal a bad bounce? Maybe on a technicality, but only happened because Persson made the single worst goaltending decision I saw all year. 

Whatever the issue is come tournament time, I’ll be (potentially in the minority) that UND winning just one game since 2017 isn’t based on bad luck.

Would the QU player's shot that missed an open net against BC be classified as the worst shot you saw all season?  It was a bad break from a decision made in a split second.  That play wasn't the reason they lost.  Didn't help but wasn't the reason.

• Upvote 2

There are facts, and you can call them excuses if you want.  Before that, though, it's a fact that they've lost almost all their NCAA games since 2016.  Ultimately the final score dictates who moves on.  But they have had the worst run of experiences in the tourney lately, kind of the opposite of the incredible fortune Duluth had in their run.

They didn't allow a shot on goal in the entire fourth period against BU.  Does that count as controlling?  And the disallowed goal.  Ugh.  And Duluth taking Poolman out the game before.

Covid wipes out the postseason of a great team.  

UND did not dominate against Duluth, in fact they looked like a team playing the second leg of a back to back against a rested team.  How does that happen?  Sanderson (I think) has a shot go post-goalline-post and out.  You knew then it was cursed.

UND did not dominate Notre Dame.  That was not a great UND team, nor a very good ND team.  It was evenly played, and kinda boring.  We'll never know, but I suspect having the country's best player play 30 minutes that game may have changed the outcome.

UND did not dominate MI, who is also very good.  But UND did carry the play for maybe 35-40 minutes.  It's not like they didn't show up.  Pointing to Pyke is an excuse if you want to call it that, but he was probably the team's best all-around defenseman and it is an unquestionable fact that he got injured in the game before the tournament and didn't play.

Do those five outcomes, with their odd circumstances, define the program?

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

14 hours ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Some also refuse to believe Michigan's first three goals in the tournament were also insane bounces.

The first 3 were definitely greasy goals, but that’s the way it goes in the one and done NCAA tournament.

Denver was out chanced, out shot, and arguable out played in both games and won (2) one goal games due to no bad breaks and a goalie with a 97.2 save percentage.

But we clearly are outclassed and miles behind DU…

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

Completely forgot about Daimon Gardner, wouldn't be surprised to see him pick a local CCHA school or Duluth.

Yeah, may reunite with Shaugabay at Duluth.

49 minutes ago, Walsh Hall said:

The first 3 were definitely greasy goals, but that’s the way it goes in the one and done NCAA tournament.

Denver was out chanced, out shot, and arguable out played in both games and won (2) one goal games due to no bad breaks and a goalie with a 97.2 save percentage.

But we clearly are outclassed and miles behind DU…

Could also be that UND doesn’t get those greasy goals because they are trying for the perfect shot, and many times don’t even get shots to the net.  UND used to live off of those type goals, but now they don’t get to the net enough, which is the reason they don’t take as many penalties.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Goon said:

I am going to drop this here. There's a message here. This kind of applies to our program, too. 

It sucks that UND lost, but it's not the end of the world. Next year's team is going to be very good and will again be in the mix.

Someone asked me if this year's team might have overachieved or exceeded expectations. It might be possible. 

https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/39886931/top-2024-recruit-sarah-strong-commits-uconn

Is it an apples comparison?  The narrative is that UND is both losing on the ice and in recruiting.  Not like UND has Cole Eiserman or 2 of the top 4 recruits coming in next season like UCONN women’s basketball. 

I think you're underselling UND's recruiting.  This will be the third outstanding class in a row, with this year in the top handful in the country.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, jk said:

I think you're underselling UND's recruiting.  This will be the third outstanding class in a row, with this year in the top handful in the country.

Yes - some talent coming in - but why did we have to replace our entire defense this year and why are we on our 4th portal goalie?  Our recruiting is inconsistent.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, tnt said:

Could also be that UND doesn’t get those greasy goals because they are trying for the perfect shot, and many times don’t even get shots to the net.  UND used to live off of those type goals, but now they don’t get to the net enough, which is the reason they don’t take as many penalties.

100% agree.  With the supposedly higher skilled players this is how they play now days.  Always looking to be the hero yet fail 99.9% of the time.  Feeds into the narrative of the name on the back of the jersey is more important. 

8 minutes ago, brianvf said:

This would be crazy if true.  What is happening in WI??

Hastings isn’t everybody’s cup of tea.  He isn’t going to put up with lack of effort and not playing both ends of the ice.  I have a feeling, he is fine with some leaving so he can get everyone to buy into his system.  
 Not quite sure it will be easy to completely change his recruiting philosophy from Minnesota State, and might be difficult to get younger high end guys to buy into his defensive system.  Wonder if Logan Hensler would reconsider his commitment with all the turnover, but he might have already signed.

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, tnt said:

Hastings isn’t everybody’s cup of tea.  He isn’t going to put up with lack of effort and not playing both ends of the ice.  I have a feeling, he is fine with some leaving so he can get everyone to buy into his system.  
 Not quite sure it will be easy to completely change his recruiting philosophy from Minnesota State, and might be difficult to get younger high-end guys to buy into his defensive system.  Wonder if Logan Hensler would reconsider his commitment with all the turnover, but he might have already signed.

Here's an idea, maybe it's the players and not the coaches. These young players don't get to dictate in the big time, wether it be in college or in the NHL. I have no problem with Hastings saying this is the type of player I want on my team. Nobody is bigger than team. 

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Goon said:

Here's an idea, maybe it's the players and not the coaches. These young players don't get to dictate in the big time, wether it be in college or in the NHL. I have no problem with Hastings saying this is the type of player I want on my team. Nobody is bigger than team. 

his hairline keeps going back but his toupee stays the same

31 minutes ago, Goon said:

I agree with you except for the NHL part. I imagine a lot of coaches have lost their jobs because a few millionaire players complained loudly enough.

3 hours ago, jk said:

There are facts, and you can call them excuses if you want.  Before that, though, it's a fact that they've lost almost all their NCAA games since 2016.  Ultimately the final score dictates who moves on.  But they have had the worst run of experiences in the tourney lately, kind of the opposite of the incredible fortune Duluth had in their run.

They didn't allow a shot on goal in the entire fourth period against BU.  Does that count as controlling?  And the disallowed goal.  Ugh.  And Duluth taking Poolman out the game before.

Covid wipes out the postseason of a great team.  

UND did not dominate against Duluth, in fact they looked like a team playing the second leg of a back to back against a rested team.  How does that happen?  Sanderson (I think) has a shot go post-goalline-post and out.  You knew then it was cursed.

UND did not dominate Notre Dame.  That was not a great UND team, nor a very good ND team.  It was evenly played, and kinda boring.  We'll never know, but I suspect having the country's best player play 30 minutes that game may have changed the outcome.

UND did not dominate MI, who is also very good.  But UND did carry the play for maybe 35-40 minutes.  It's not like they didn't show up.  Pointing to Pyke is an excuse if you want to call it that, but he was probably the team's best all-around defenseman and it is an unquestionable fact that he got injured in the game before the tournament and didn't play.

Do those five outcomes, with their odd circumstances, define the program?

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not calling them excuses, but I think UND found fortune and still lost some of those games. 

They were down by 2 to BU with 7 minutes left. If they don’t tie in the final minutes, it doesn’t even get to OT, and no one gets to talk about a 4th period or an “offsides” that wasn’t.

They were down by 2 to Duluth with 2 minutes left. If they don’t tie in the final minutes, it doesn’t even get to OT, and the “5OT against a rested team” narrative doesn’t occur. 

They originally lost to Notre Dame 2-1 in regulation because no one backchecked to pick up the man in front at the end of the game.  If video replay doesn’t show the puck go in a few milliseconds after the final horn, UND doesn’t even get the second chance to lose in overtime.

Like the recent Michigan loss, all of those games could have easily been regulation losses for UND, if not for some fortune on their end.

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

I agree with you except for the NHL part. I imagine a lot of coaches have lost their jobs because a few millionaire players complained loudly enough.

Agreed, that’s a fair point, but I think the distinction is that where college coaches yield most of the power over the hockey team, the GM and front office have much more control in NHL. So I’d agree some star players could wield more power than some NHL head coaches, but management and ownership will always run the day.