SiouxSports.com Forum

UND @ CC -- Friday Gameday

stoneySIOUX

4 minutes ago, thUNDer said:

Absolutely, our favorite FF of 7! IMHO the semi-final vs DU was the Campionship game in Tampa instead of Quinnipiac & whiny Rand

I was excited last year to see Rand win because of who he was playing against. But you are right, boy does he whine a lot?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sioux>Bison said:

So the expectations are no longer to be the top program in the country every year to just being one of the best? Might as well pack it in and go home at that point.

Did you even read what I wrote?

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Sioux>Bison said:

Why would we compare ourselves to the Gophers ? If there is one other team that is just as good at choking if not worse it is the Minnesota Golden Chokers! 

Why not? Was on GPL before our game last night to giggle at the meltdowners. Sadly, this thread was a mirror image

1 hour ago, hockeytherapy13 said:

This isn’t a fair comment nowadays because there is sooo much good talent and so many great coaches. Add in the ability to use video for breaking down shifts and pre scouting the other teams/players and it makes for a more even playing field. We should and do expect great things but ripping Hak for never winning the big one and ripping a loss here and there (although we did play reeeally bad last night) isn’t always fair. Missing the tourney on 3 of the last 5 years was a painful blow but we are back on the upswing. 

Another example of how many good teams and players there are now: look at the bubble teams in the pairwise at 12-18ish and you can safely say any of those teams could legitimately make the frozen four. There will absolutely be “upsets” this year as there always are in the tourney but this season they should hardly be considered upsets in a one and done situation. 

sorry for the rant: I understand if I get the TLDR response haha 

I get there is a ton of talented teams and coaches out there and that it’s not easy to win it all every year. Would I take the Hak years back instead of the berry era of course. We had teams that could have and many times should have won it all. If he had just won one title he would have shut many people up. Other teams like Denver and Duluth have shown you can win multiple titles in 5 years. We have the top program we should be able to too!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, thUNDer said:

Why not? Was on GPL before our game last night to giggle at the meltdowners. Sadly, this thread was a mirror image

I tend to wait until the playo

4 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

Did you even read what I wrote?

Quit making excuses for berry and co. We should have the same success as Denver and Duluth , but we haven’t shown that anywhere close 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Sioux>Bison said:

I tend to wait until the playo

Quit making excuses for berry and co. We should have the same success as Denver and Duluth , but we haven’t shown that anywhere close 

Oh you must be the troll…I don’t pay attention to users names on here 

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, Sioux>Bison said:

We should have the same success as Denver and Duluth , but we haven’t shown that anywhere close 

Oh yes, if only UND could have the same success as the vaunted Duluth program.  :crazy:

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, burd said:

The woulda coulda shoulda folks come out in force every time a little adversity hits.  I love that old worn-out pitch that if you aren’t panicking and pointing fingers of blame its because your “standards” are too low.   We set our own standards in our professional and personal lives, not on the games played by someone else’s college-age kids.  

This isn’t high school hockey. Supporters and donors expect wins otherwise their money can go elsewhere. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sioux>Bison said:

Hung more banners lately than UND, is that not a success?

If you're of the "what have you done for me lately" camp, I assume you will be demanding Sandelin gets fired after his current season?

• Upvote 3

This isn’t high school hockey. Supporters and donors expect wins otherwise their money can go elsewhere. 

You are right in a limited sense, of course, but I see that as being just as tired a rationale.  

39 minutes ago, Big A HG said:

When you've been as successful as Sandelin has in building that program and bringing it to the vaunted standards they've achieved, it's easier to tolerate a couple of down years.  Even around here, people weren't calling for Berry's head a few years after the title because he just won the title.  The problem is, the title was 8(!) years ago now and we've won 1 NCAA game since.

2016 4 wins
2017 0 wins
2018 Missed tourney
2019 Missed tourney
2020 Covid
2021 1 win (against AIC)
2022 0 wins
2023 Missed tourney

Berry's first year, with Hak's roster, was the only outlier season among a lot of seasons of basically no success in the NCAA tourney.  Of the last six seasons, Berry is just as likely to not make the tourney as he is getting in, and when we do get in, we can hardly win a game.

I'm confused by the "Hak's roster" thing.   Sometimes, fans stress the fact that assistant coaches do most of the recruiting, other times not so much.   I suppose it varies by programs.  

• Upvote 2

Just now, burd said:

I'm confused by the "Hak's roster" thing.   Sometimes, fans stress the fact that assistant coaches do most of the recruiting, other times not so much.   I suppose it varies by programs.  

Whether it was Hak, Dane, Brad, etc doing the actual recruiting, the first key point is the player has to want to play for the head coach.  Hak had a stellar reputation for his coaching style and development of players.  Hakstol then, and Berry now, aren't going to be the first line of communication for many of the players.  The bigger the player, the more the head coach will get involved.  Kids went to Alabama to play football under Saban and develop as a player under his leadership.  Do you think Saban recruited each and every one?  No...but the kids all want to play for him.  Berry clearly doesn't recruit to the same standard that Hak did, nor some of our peers do now.  It doesn't mean he can't field a competitive team, but the facts show that we've supremely underperformed as a whole since the title year.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Big A HG said:

Whether it was Hak, Dane, Brad, etc doing the actual recruiting, the first key point is the player has to want to play for the head coach.  Hak had a stellar reputation for his coaching style and development of players.  Hakstol then, and Berry now, aren't going to be the first line of communication for many of the players.  The bigger the player, the more the head coach will get involved.  Kids went to Alabama to play football under Saban and develop as a player under his leadership.  Do you think Saban recruited each and every one?  No...but the kids all want to play for him.  Berry clearly doesn't recruit to the same standard that Hak did, nor some of our peers do now.  It doesn't mean he can't field a competitive team, but the facts show that we've supremely underperformed as a whole since the title year.

I loved Hak, partly due to his character but mostly because he delivered top notch hockey teams year in and year out.   He took a tremendous amount of grief here, though, because some people judge by banner count only. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Big A HG said:

When you've been as successful as Sandelin has in building that program and bringing it to the vaunted standards they've achieved, it's easier to tolerate a couple of down years.  Even around here, people weren't calling for Berry's head a few years after the title because he just won the title.  The problem is, the title was 8(!) years ago now and we've won 1 NCAA game since.

2016 4 wins
2017 0 wins
2018 Missed tourney
2019 Missed tourney
2020 Covid
2021 1 win (against AIC)
2022 0 wins
2023 Missed tourney

Berry's first year, with Hak's roster, was the only outlier season among a lot of seasons of basically no success in the NCAA tourney.  Of the last six seasons, Berry is just as likely to not make the tourney as he is getting in, and when we do get in, we can hardly win a game.

UND is just an average hockey program, we should be happy with the success we were able to achieve. No on has the right to question Berry or anything going on with the program 

UND is just an average hockey program, we should be happy with the success we were able to achieve. No on has the right to question Berry or anything going on with the program 

tired bit

I am confused reading the comments on the fan message board. I’ve determined that the UND coaching staff is average at best. Keep in mind, the head coach just surpassed the 200 win mark. He's 200-100-33 (.656) as a head coach. That’s absolutely brutal. Why hasn’t he been fired yet? 

I’ll drop this here. 

Tough to see some people on here tying their daily personal fulfillment to the success of a college hockey program they have no influence over. If you guys were fans of UNO or SCSU you probably would have jumped off the ledge by now. It's apparent the way some "fans" pop up out of the woodwork only when things are going bad to recount all the way this program has personally wronged them. Find some balance guys.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

On 2/17/2024 at 7:31 PM, Big A HG said:

Berry was in charge of recruiting under Hakstol. 

2 hours ago, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

Tough to see some people on here tying their daily personal fulfillment to the success of a college hockey program they have no influence over. If you guys were fans of UNO or SCSU you probably would have jumped off the ledge by now. It's apparent the way some "fans" pop up out of the woodwork only when things are going bad to recount all the way this program has personally wronged them. Find some balance guys.

There's nothing wrong with an emotional attachment to a sports team/individual, but the negative affinity doesn't mix well with it. Not ashamed to admit I teared up from joy a little when they scored 2 against Duluth in Fargo.

• Upvote 1

On 2/17/2024 at 7:31 PM, Big A HG said:

2016 4 wins
2017 0 wins
2018 Missed tourney
2019 Missed tourney
2020 Covid
2021 1 win (against AIC)
2022 0 wins
2023 Missed tourney

Gotta love facts

• Upvote 1