SiouxSports.com Forum

Super Bowl Overtime Coin Toss

You win the coin toss at the Super Bowl.....do you?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Kick or Receive

I'll admit that I didn't know the rule until now either.  I'd honestly prefer if they went to the college style playoffs and just go from the 30 yard line in.  Make the teams always have to go for 2 after a TD though.  

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

I'll admit that I didn't know the rule until now either.  I'd honestly prefer if they went to the college style playoffs and just go from the 30 yard line in.  Make the teams always have to go for 2 after a TD though.  

wouldnt be surprised if ncaa went to nfl formula

7 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

If the 49ers had scored a TD on their OT drive and the Chiefs scored a TD after that, I heard that the Chiefs would have gone for 2 and the win. So I don't think the Niners would have gotten the ball in sudden death anyway.

exactly....thatll be my next survey q....7-6..... kick extra point or go for 2 and the Super Bowl title.

If you want the third possession in OT when it switches to sudden death, taking the ball makes sense.

If you are willing to go for 2 to possibly win the game like KC supposedly was, defense makes sense. 

SF's defense was also super gassed so giving them a little extra rest makes some sense. Though, that's assuming that the people making the call knew the rules. 

1 minute ago, jdub27 said:

If you want the third possession in OT when it switches to sudden death, taking the ball makes sense.

If you are willing to go for 2 to possibly win the game like KC supposedly was, defense makes sense. 

SF's defense was also super gassed so giving them a little extra rest makes some sense. Though, that's assuming that the people making the call knew the rules. 

people are saying that sudden death starts on the third possession if the 2 teams are tied....sudden death CAN start after one possession if the first team is held scoreless on the first possession 

Football is the 1 sport that there is no good way to play overtime.  

My idea would be overtime continues right were regulation left off and whoever scores first is the winner.  So whoever had the ball when regulation ending keeps the ball just like it is the end of the 1st or 3rd Quarter.  Team switch side and down and distance continues.

With the rules now in place for OT in playoff games it is very difficult for me to make a case for wanting the ball first. If KC’s OT drive was the first possession would they have gone for it 4th down deep in their own end ?  Maybe, but the decision was very easy for them since they were trailing. 

• Upvote 1