SiouxSports.com Forum

UND @ Murray State

Nodak78

2 minutes ago, Dustin said:

What about Quincy Vaughan?  Did he play at all?  I thought there was a 3rd and short they might bring him out for, but they didn't.  Also don't recall him catching a pass.

the tight end doesn't exist and und.....rumors and hints and teases...but noope.

When are we going to stop expecting huge TE production? Our TE's probably have similar stats to most FCS teams, although I haven't checked and could be wrong. I think because SDSU has some top end TE's with huge production and are in the NFL we all think huge TE production will solve all of our problems. It's just not a huge part of our offense. But I'm sure it will give people something to complain about for several years to come. 

23 minutes ago, Sioux94 said:

When are we going to stop expecting huge TE production? Our TE's probably have similar stats to most FCS teams, although I haven't checked and could be wrong. I think because SDSU has some top end TE's with huge production and are in the NFL we all think huge TE production will solve all of our problems. It's just not a huge part of our offense. But I'm sure it will give people something to complain about for several years to come. 

Exactly. We have great blocking tight ends. That is a tight end job, too.  Not just pass catching. 

• Upvote 2

Offense is fine. Tight end talk is moot. Tight end leak play in redzone was thing of beauty. Quincy been doing well at that spot. Give Danny and Shawn credit - offense and tight ends are doing well. 

defense is where the crap keeps happening. Those players and coaches need to step up 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Not much to say about this game. If the ISU-blue game felt like a loss, this wasn't much better. Looked like we were going to blow them out and then couldn't do a damn thing on D. I'll give them some credit, their QB played pretty darn well and I know we are missing some guys, but yikes. Also, the league needs to serious look at the officiating after all of those late PI calls, what a joke!

Offense certainly seemed fine, especially for missing some guys; they did what they were supposed to do. 

-Need defense to figure out how to play like they did against NDSU

-Would love to see Z back and our O line clicking. Control the clock and get the run game goin.

-I feel like we need a big game from Eliodor being back in the Dakota Dome.

Its been a rough few weeks, but from a record standpoint we are still on track. This is a big one! Win this and we are in a really solid position! Lose and it is more of the same. 

13 minutes ago, siouxfan512 said:

Not much to say about this game. If the ISU-blue game felt like a loss, this wasn't much better. Looked like we were going to blow them out and then couldn't do a damn thing on D. I'll give them some credit, their QB played pretty darn well and I know we are missing some guys, but yikes. Also, the league needs to serious look at the officiating after all of those late PI calls, what a joke!

Offense certainly seemed fine, especially for missing some guys; they did what they were supposed to do. 

-Need defense to figure out how to play like they did against NDSU

-Would love to see Z back and our O line clicking. Control the clock and get the run game goin.

-I feel like we need a big game from Eliodor being back in the Dakota Dome.

Its been a rough few weeks, but from a record standpoint we are still on track. This is a big one! Win this and we are in a really solid position! Lose and it is more of the same. 

I felt better after this game vs isu 

On 11/5/2023 at 7:37 AM, UND-FB-FAN said:

They hit a ceiling, years ago. Your comments make me think you’re either biased and/or misinformed, because your comments are generalized and almost non-factual.

It’s been 10 years. How far has the team truly come? Anyone actually watching this program has seen 5-7 in 2014 turn into perennial 7-4 and no playoff wins. They have not made substantial progress despite what some try to portray. 

Here are some unbiased rankings (Massey) to show how things have progressed the last 15 years:

2008       28
2009       40
2010       48
2011       36
2012       35
2013       68
2014       64
2015       32
2016       21
2017       43
2018       27
2019       21
2020       6*
2021       14
2022       14
2023       12

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, gfhockey said:

I felt better after this game vs isu 

Agreed and Murray does have potential with some players, but it was still pretty disappointing to watch them cut through our D like they did. I never though they were going to steal this game like ISU could have, but we definitely have to clean things up.

From 360 game review 

The 4th and 24 pass interference penalty was a killer for the UND defense. It was 31-10 and a stop there forces a field goal or punt. Instead, the Racers scored on the next play. Not sure what the safeties were doing and why. They were at 10 yards and not backing up, almost coming forward to catch the receiver. It’s 4th and 24. I am sure they were playing the call from the staff but what reasoning has us playing that close on 4th and 24 to where the guy can put one move on you and blow by? Plus, the linebackers weren’t trailing the slot WR/TE either. UND only rushed three (one spy) but didn’t seem to have any brackets going on at all. So essentially we were playing a loose man coverage with no underneath help pushing the receiver up-field. Odd to say the least. Even if we give them 23 yards we get the ball back.

12 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Here are some unbiased rankings (Massey) to show how things have progressed the last 15 years:

2008       28
2009       40
2010       48
2011       36
2012       35
2013       68
2014       64
2015       32
2016       21
2017       43
2018       27
2019       21
2020       6*
2021       14
2022       14
2023       12

Looks nice. Too bad the results on the field don’t show it. Would be nice to actually win playoff games or big games on road. But, if the goal is to only ascend Massey rankings, then this is a solid demonstration. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, UND1983 said:

From 360 game review 

The 4th and 24 pass interference penalty was a killer for the UND defense. It was 31-10 and a stop there forces a field goal or punt. Instead, the Racers scored on the next play. Not sure what the safeties were doing and why. They were at 10 yards and not backing up, almost coming forward to catch the receiver. It’s 4th and 24. I am sure they were playing the call from the staff but what reasoning has us playing that close on 4th and 24 to where the guy can put one move on you and blow by? Plus, the linebackers weren’t trailing the slot WR/TE either. UND only rushed three (one spy) but didn’t seem to have any brackets going on at all. So essentially we were playing a loose man coverage with no underneath help pushing the receiver up-field. Odd to say the least. Even if we give them 23 yards we get the ball back.

I completely agree that that snafu was a momentum killer and inexcusable overall from a coaching/schematics standpoint. Not impressed with defense, which includes players and coaches. 

3 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Looks nice. Too bad the results on the field don’t show it. Would be nice to actually win playoff games or big games on road. But, if the goal is to only ascend Massey rankings, then this is a solid demonstration. 

You said they haven't made substantial progress. I presented evidence that shows the contrary. The program has and continues to progress in the right direction. Moving into the top 10/5 and into the quarters/semis/finals is the next step. 

I know its just a dumb computer algorithm and not an expert football mind, so dismiss it however you want. But just wanted to present some actual unbiased data to the conversation.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

32 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

You said they haven't made substantial progress. I presented evidence that shows the contrary. The program has and continues to progress in the right direction. Moving into the top 10/5 and into the quarters/semis/finals is the next step. 

I know its just a dumb computer algorithm and not an expert football mind, so dismiss it however you want. But just wanted to present some actual unbiased data to the conversation.

How many playoff games have we won?

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1