SiouxSports.com Forum

UND @ Murray State

Nodak78

3 hours ago, jdub27 said:

Here are some unbiased rankings (Massey) to show how things have progressed the last 15 years:

2008       28
2009       40
2010       48
2011       36
2012       35
2013       68
2014       64
2015       32
2016       21
2017       43
2018       27
2019       21
2020       6*
2021       14
2022       14
2023       12

Not a bad trend. Need to stay top 10 now. 

• Upvote 2

56 minutes ago, GoodGood said:

I believe an asterisk covid season playoff win is it. 

Some people measure success based on computer charts, some measure it based on the results on the field. To each their own I guess 

The discussion was program progression. Overall, the program is in a better spot and has continued to trend in the correct direction.
There are different levels of success.
No one has said we're at a spot where anyone is completely happy, 100% satisfied or thinks there isn't more work to do or we've constantly been at a level of success where we would all like to see.
But it wouldn't be the same beating of the dead horse if someone didn't pretend that was the case.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

19 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

The discussion was program progression. Overall, the program is in a better spot and has continued to trend in the correct direction.
There are different levels of success.
No one has said we're at a spot where anyone is completely happy, 100% satisfied or thinks there isn't more work to do or we've constantly been at a level of success where we would all like to see.
But it wouldn't be the same beating of the dead horse if someone didn't pretend that was the case.

Doesn’t Massey still have ndsu at 3 or 4? I’d guess you don’t agree with that? Your computer stats argument was nice though! 

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, GoodGood said:

Doesn’t Massey still have ndsu at 3 or 4? I’d guess you don’t agree with that? Your computer stats argument was nice though! 

Yes it does. It's an algorithm, calculates data points to comes up with a range of outcomes and then shows the most likely scenarios. It doesn't predict the future and tell you which data point within the set is going to hit every game. I'm sure I don't need to explain how statistics and probabilities work to a smart guy like you though.

Going into the week, it predicted that NDSU was going to lose to SDSU by around 11 points. Wasn't too far off. And as much as I hate to admit it, with the current data points, I think NDSU is closer to #4 in the nation than they are #12 or #15 or wherever they are. There's two weeks left that could definitely change as more data points are calculated into the equation. Regardless, I hope they miss the playoffs because the selection committee leaves them out at 7-4. However them going 6-5 and plummeting in every poll, human and computer, would be acceptable as well.

Massey also says that the top 9 teams are in the Big Sky or MVFC and Furman is #11 and not #2. I have a hard time disagreeing with that and if we play Thanksgiving weekend, would love to be fed in Furman instead of a seed from the Big Sky or MVFC.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, jdub27 said:

You said they haven't made substantial progress. I presented evidence that shows the contrary. The program has and continues to progress in the right direction. Moving into the top 10/5 and into the quarters/semis/finals is the next step. 

I know its just a dumb computer algorithm and not an expert football mind, so dismiss it however you want. But just wanted to present some actual unbiased data to the conversation.

FCS has changed a lot in the last 10-15 years......FCS is dead and getting deader every year.

• Upvote 3

18 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Progress shown by objective rankings; then comes this response.

No wonder our PKs struggle ... the goal posts keep moving ... ;)  :D  

Nobody cares what some statistical database ranks you. It literally doesn't matter if it doesn't lead to wins when it counts. Like in the postseason....

That's such a losers mindset to have....Be happy that some database says we got better but it doesn't actually lead to better outcomes when it counts :D:D

I'll keep waiting for that ever so elusive playoff win though!!

• Downvote 1

14 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

FCS has changed a lot in the last 10-15 years......FCS is dead and getting deader every year.

Once those new FBS regulations take effect in a few years, some of those "FBS in name only" schools will have to either drop FB or drop down to FCS. Ball State and Bowling Green may be in the same subdivision as Georgia and Alabama, but that is where the similarities end.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Progress shown by objective rankings; then comes this response.

No wonder our PKs struggle ... the goal posts keep moving ... ;)  :D  

pretty sure 1-4 in playoff games over the past 10 seasons is an objective measure. But sure, winning in the postseason is a response that is nonsensical and fails to recognize the undisputed superiority of Massey rankings (that aren’t even polls) … I mean why even have playoffs? For example, the old polls system in college football sans playoffs to determine the national champion was always superior ….

• Downvote 1

18 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

pretty sure 1-4 in playoff games over the past 10 seasons is an objective measure. But sure, winning in the postseason is a response that is nonsensical and fails to recognize the undisputed superiority of Massey rankings (that aren’t even polls) … I mean why even have playoffs? For example, the old polls system in college football sans playoffs to determine the national champion was always superior ….

Wins vs non scholly and D2 and lower are much more meaningful by your standards.  

37 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Look you are pissing in the wind.  The program is progressing.  Not as fast as we want.  But you piss and moan because it doesn't meet your standards .  Now complain to guy or gal that is pissing in your pissing in your cereal every morning.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Nodak78 said:

Look you are pissing in the wind.  The program is progressing.  Not as fast as we want.  But you piss and moan because it doesn't meet your standards .  Now complain to guy or gal that is pissing in your pissing in your cereal every morning.

Decade by decade 

not just me, several others realize the local narrative put forth is all propaganda and fool’s gold

so many easily fooled due to being conditioned to substandard expectations … congrats (but not really) to you for being apart of the gullible group 

• Upvote 1