SiouxSports.com Forum

UND @ Murray State

Nodak78

2 minutes ago, SiouxBoys said:

This is literally all you do on this website. You've never brought a legitimate discussion to the table. 

Okay here’s a discussion then. Here’s two things I believe to be true.

1. We have hit our ceiling with Bubba as the head coach 

2. We have hit our ceiling with Tommy as the starting QB

Please tell me how either of those are wrong. Thanks

• Upvote 1

Just now, HoopsFan03 said:

Okay here’s a discussion then. Here’s two things I believe to be true.

1. We have hit our ceiling with Bubba as the head coach 

2. We have hit our ceiling with Tommy as the starting QB

Please tell me how either of those are wrong. Thanks

I actually don't disagree with either of these. Doesn't change what I said about you though. Have a great night, to you and all your other accounts!

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, SiouxBoys said:

I actually don't disagree with either of these. Doesn't change what I said about you though. Have a great night, to you and all your other accounts!

Oh yes me and all my other 6 accounts will have a great night! Keep crying online! Such an odd thing to do

2 minutes ago, sioux24/7 said:

1. I think you are spot on. Been saying it for a while. Bubba has done a lot for the program but we’ve plateaued. 

2. Maybe? I understand your and some others frustration with Tommy but I also wish you guys appreciated him a bit more than you do. The kids a really good QB at this level. Are there better? Certainly and we may even have 2 on the roster but the kid is good and has done a lot for us. 

Tommy is good at what he does. Manage games against bad and average teams. Get him against any good to great team and he goes MIA.

He’s a solid QB. Just not a championship QB or the QB UND needs to take that next step. In my opinion.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, HoopsFan03 said:

Tommy is good at what he does. Manage games against bad and average teams. Get him against any good to great team and he goes MIA.

He’s a solid QB. Just not a championship QB or the QB UND needs to take that next step. In my opinion.

I think you are probably right here too. I just think he gets !@#$ on a little too much and doesn’t necessarily deserve it. I do get though that we want to strive for championships and not just for being good. 

• Upvote 4

4 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Not too challenging of a concept. 
-Bubba under contract until 2025

- UND is awful on the road and has one 1 playoff game win in the past 10 years of Bubba being head coach (I repeat, one win in the past 10 seasons!). 

-UND defense in 2023 is bad. 

-Danny Freund is associate head coach and OC. He is next in-line for HC job if Bubba were to leave before his contract expires (or even if contract expires) and ask that job go to current staff member. 

- ultimately, I agree an open competition (job opening) would be the best for UND football, but would that happen with Chaves given the above? Chaves extended Bubba Schweigert in 2021 despite going 5-6 and the team has not shown substantial improvement since. 1 playoff appearance since 2021 extension; only 1 playoff win for Bubba as HC in an asterisk season of 2020 (spring 2021 COVID season where several programs weren’t participating and several games were canceled). To be enamored with the current (and previous decade plus) leadership is impossible unless you’re significantly biased or misinformed. 

- UND football needs new leadership if you want to see UND be a true national championship contender. 

Dude enjoy the roadie

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, sioux24/7 said:

1. I think you are spot on. Been saying it for a while. Bubba has done a lot for the program but we’ve plateaued. 

2. Maybe? I understand your and some others frustration with Tommy but I also wish you guys appreciated him a bit more than you do. The kids a really good QB at this level. Are there better? Certainly and we may even have 2 on the roster but the kid is good and has done a lot for us. 

I’ll give you #3 but touchdown Tommy won us the last 2 games

• Upvote 3

11 hours ago, homer said:

Meh, we were terrible when Bubba took over and that wasn’t changing over night.  I don’t disagree we need to be a lot better in the road but using the first years against him is digging to make your argument hold water. 

Terrible in 2014, yes, but not significantly better in 2023. 1 playoff win in 10 seasons. The point of reflecting back to 2014 is brought up to actually prove a point/argument. You need to know where you’ve been to know where you’re going. Been 10 seasons with 1 playoff win and a couple extensions; I don’t know why UND’s athletic department can be so fragile. Hyper-focused on ice puck? No true vision or expectation of excellence for FB at UND? Sure, tons of stability with Bubba as HC, but no willingness to take any risks is mind-boggling and a blatant mistake by Chaves/UND AD. 

Observations:

The worst PI of the last five minutes of the game was a offensive PI ... uncalled against Murray. 

Bubba is a concrete man, footings and foundation. You want the house roofed and finished you call in that crew. (Ask B Nielsen when at UMD.) 

2 hours ago, 108498 said:

Others have said it through the years, Bubba has really helped our program grow alot. Has the team reached a ceiling? Perhaps, but enjoy how far the team has come. When he first stepped on campus, players (fellow peers of mine) would avoid talking to others about the team. Many held their heads very low and you saw a group that had simply given up. Bubba helped bring a positive environment back to the team. I understand the frustration that  the team hasn't been past the 1st round of the playoffs much, but Bubba has taken the team there a few times. There was little hope of even making the playoffs at all prior. The team finished 2013 with just 3 wins and couldn't break 5 wins for several years. Now we are in the playoff conversation almost each year. Also Bubba was the one who really pushed the NDSU rivalry. Win or lose that game I loved seeing it back. UND may not be the best yet, but I am proud of where Bubba started and where he is now. 

They hit a ceiling, years ago. Your comments make me think you’re either biased and/or misinformed, because your comments are generalized and almost non-factual.

It’s been 10 years. How far has the team truly come? Anyone actually watching this program has seen 5-7 in 2014 turn into perennial 7-4 and no playoff wins. They have not made substantial progress despite what some try to portray. 

“I understand the frustration that the team hasn't been past the 1st round of the playoffs much, but Bubba has taken the team there a few times. “

- they have only won one playoff game. EVER. During an asterisk season in spring 2021. Bubba has not been able to transform UND into a championship caliber program, period. They can’t win playoff games and routinely miss the playoffs. 

UND was winning more than 5 games prior to Bubba. Mussman got UND to 8 wins in 2011. It’s not some impossible task to get UND football to FCS championship level (see South Dakota State); but it requires a certain effort and talent to get them there. Bubba is at the end of his career, and the projection is well established at year 10; he’s not that guy. 

3 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Observations:

The worst PI of the last five minutes of the game was a offensive PI ... uncalled against Murray. 

Bubba is a concrete man, footings and foundation. You want the house roofed and finished you call in that crew. (Ask B Nielsen when at UMD.) 

agreed, foundation set, need someone else to provide the finishing touches. Chaves and Bubba need to sit down and iron this thing out. Waiting until after 2025 is going to be painful, and it’s all on Chaves and his aimless extension. 

9 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Terrible in 2014, yes, but not significantly better in 2023. 1 playoff win in 10 seasons. The point of reflecting back to 2014 is brought up to actually prove a point/argument. You need to know where you’ve been to know where you’re going. Been 10 seasons with 1 playoff win and a couple extensions; I don’t know UND’s athletic department can be so fragile. Sure, tons of stability with it, but no willingness to take any risks is mind-boggling and a blatant mistake by Chaves/UND AD. 

There is no way to really know how a game between 2023 and 2014 would go but the product on the field is better.  If you are going to write off every win we have in 2023, certainly you are not going to lift every win in 2014.  

My opinion is the last few games the lack of depth/experience is starting to show.  That is going to be a challenging thing to build at the FCS level for any team but is a spot this staff needs to figure out.  I don’t have the answers but it is certainly a challenge. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

They hit a ceiling, years ago. Your comments make me think you’re either biased and/or misinformed, because your comments are generalized and almost non-factual.

It’s been 10 years. How far has the team truly come? Anyone actually watching this program has seen 5-7 in 2014 turn into perennial 7-4 and no playoff wins. They have not made substantial progress despite what some try to portray. 

“I understand the frustration that the team hasn't been past the 1st round of the playoffs much, but Bubba has taken the team there a few times. “

- they have only won one playoff game. EVER. During an asterisk season in spring 2021. Bubba has not been able to transform UND into a championship caliber program, period. They can’t win playoff games and routinely miss the playoffs. 

UND was winning more than 5 games prior to Bubba. Mussman got UND to 8 wins in 2011. It’s not some impossible task to get UND football to FCS championship level (see South Dakota State); but it requires a certain effort and talent to get them there. Bubba is at the end of his career, and the projection is well established at year 10; he’s not that guy. 

!@#$, 2011 is your bar now…..lol

13 minutes ago, homer said:

There is no way to really know how a game between 2023 and 2014 would go but the product on the field is better.  If you are going to write off every win we have in 2023, certainly you are not going to lift every win in 2014.  

My opinion is the last few games the lack of depth/experience is starting to show.  That is going to be a challenging thing to build at the FCS level for any team but is a spot this staff needs to figure out.  I don’t have the answers but it is certainly a challenge. 

Been some victories, been some losses. There’s been some fun times between 2014-2023, heck just this year against NDSU, but what UND is consistently doing is not currently championship level. Look at the product on the field. I agree it’s better now than in 2014, but it’s not anywhere close to being championship level. Can’t win big games, can’t win playoff games. Can’t recruit enough big time players. Can’t make big time decisions in big games, can’t lead/excite the team. Too many mistakes. Just look At yesterday’s game @ Murray State. The depth talk has been regurgitated endlessly over the past 5-7 years as an explanation, it’s not the whole story.

Trying the same thing over and over again and expecting different results is (insanity) the challenge. Need to change things up and that’s on Chaves; it’s his job. But there’s no pressure on him at all; the cash cow is hockey and that is all that matters it seems, especially with blind extensions. No vision for championships. Like I said, painfully consistent is the name of the game until some change happens. 

11 minutes ago, homer said:

!@#$, 2011 is your bar now…..lol

Simply responding to the previous post which erroneously stated UND couldn’t win anything prior to Bubba.

“The team finished 2013 with just 3 wins and couldn't break 5 wins for several years”

2011 Mussman team was still quite awful- definitely not my bar - but they did win more games than Bubba’s first two seasons.