SiouxSports.com Forum

2024 UND Football

andtheHomeoftheSIOUX!!

3 minutes ago, SooToo said:

Looks like apples to oranges to me.

Maybe Freund left because he saw the program as a sinking ship, as one poster here claims on a daily basis. Or maybe, as speculated over at UND Football 360, Freund looked at Roehl's situation at the AC (supposedly passed over for HC  due to lack of outside experience) and decided he needed to broaden his resume.  Unfortunate it's at a conference rival, but it is what it is.

For Landry, what changed between the day he accepted the UND job and the day he bolted for the AC? Anything other than what he perceived to be a better offer?

Freund leaving is totally different than what Landry did. I have no problem with Freund.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, HoopsFan03 said:

I’m not sure how so many grown men and Fightingsioux4life, are so butthurt about another grown man making a decision that is best for himself and his family. 

Business is business. $$$ and opportunity talks. 

FYP

2 minutes ago, HoopsFan03 said:

I’m not sure how so many grown men are so butthurt about another grown man making a decision that is best for himself and his family. 

I don’t think it’s the fact that it’s a better $, it’s the way he did it 

1 hour ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Agreed, Bubba didn't cause this and certainly didn't deserve this.

Bubba’s ineptitude did cause this, and Chaves extended, thus enabling it. And now, this is what you get. Ridiculousness and UND embarrassment for the benefit of rival institutions NDSU and SDSU. 

5 minutes ago, HoopsFan03 said:

I’m not sure how so many grown men are so butthurt about another grown man making a decision that is best for himself and his family. 

Don't know who's "butthurt," but I would guess most posters here are UND fans/alumni and want what's best for the school/program (spoiler alert: this wasn't it). I assumed that's why you are here -- posting daily -- too.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Kab said:

I don’t think it’s the fact that it’s a better $, it’s the way he did it 

How else did you want him to do it??

He was offered more money and a better opportunity a week after he took this job. He didn’t choose the timeline of when that offer came. I just don’t understand what you guys wanted him to do. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, SooToo said:

Don't know who's "butthurt," but I would guess most posters here are UND fans/alumni and want what's best for the school/program (spoiler alert: this wasn't it). I assumed that's why you are here -- posting daily -- too.

Yes, I want what’s best for UND. However, I’m not going to judge or hate on him for doing what’s best for himself, his family, and his career. 

which in this case was for him to take the better NDSU job. It is what it is. It’s life

20 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Freund leaving is totally different than what Landry did. I have no problem with Freund.

Both left because UND football is in a vulnerable position relative to NDSU and SDSU. That is disappointing, but it is reality. Need top notch leadership at UND to change positioning, and that is why Chaves and Armacost are a needed part of this conversation. Bubba is just a lame duck coach at this point. 

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, HoopsFan03 said:

So if someone made a deal with you and then turned around and stuck it to you, you would have no problem with it? Please.

7 minutes ago, SooToo said:

It has been 10+ years! Do I need to post the "Kicking the dead horse" gif??

3 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

So if someone made a deal with you and then turned around and stuck it to you, you would have no problem with it? Please.

He didn’t stick it to anyone. He accepted a better job for more money. It’s as simple as that. 

I’m done on this subject. Business is business. Money and opportunity will always talk.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Cause you under paid him and your company is the Titanic??

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Most times, instead of pointing fingers, it’s instead best to look in the mirror. This is known in many successful circles as accountability. This is needed for UND football at this time more than ever. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, HoopsFan03 said:

Yes, I want what’s best for UND. However, I’m not going to judge or hate on him for doing what’s best for himself, his family, and his career. 

which in this case was for him to take the better NDSU job. It is what it is. It’s life

And screwing people has consequences. That's also life.

Ralph Engelstad liked doing business with a handshake and hated dealing with pages and pages of legalese. Those days are over, unfortunately.

Landry stabbed us in the back. He is persona non grata as far as I am concerned.

I do think there is an integrity issue.  If I hired someone, counted on their word, and they turned around and went to my competitor in 2 weeks time, I would be pissed.  Coordinator and position coach positions open and close all the time. Saying the Bison position wasn’t open is an excuse. Jake made a commitment that UND relies upon.  Something better is always a possibility.  At the end of my days, I want my word to mean something. Doing this to his Alma mater knowing it puts UND in a terrible predicament to find someone at the last minute, potentially affecting recruiting, and retention is not a class act in my opinion.  Not a real class move for NDSU either but that should come as no surprise…. Should be a definite motivator to stick it up the Bison next year on D.

• Upvote 3

22 minutes ago, HoopsFan03 said:

How else did you want him to do it??

He was offered more money and a better opportunity a week after he took this job. He didn’t choose the timeline of when that offer came. I just don’t understand what you guys wanted him to do. 

You don’t bail after a week

2 minutes ago, Hans8891 said:

I do think there is an integrity issue.  If I hired someone, counted on their word, and they turned around and went to my competitor in 2 weeks time, I would be pissed.  Coordinator and position coach positions open and close all the time. Saying the Bison position wasn’t open is an excuse. Jake made a commitment that UND relies upon.  Something better is always a possibility.  At the end of my days, I want my word to mean something. Doing this to his Alma mater knowing it puts UND in a terrible predicament to find someone at the last minute, potentially affecting recruiting, and retention is not a class act in my opinion.  Not a real class move for NDSU either but that should come as no surprise…. Should be a definite motivator to stick it up the Bison next year on D.

I think people use the word integrity like it’s a the 1970s.. there is very little “integrity” in college sports outside of D3.. programs will drop scholarships (happened to friends of mine) .. coaches always leave when they get a better offer.. now players do as well. 

there are very few people on this website and others that would turn down 40% more money and more stability than there current job.. most of u would be gone so fast the ink wouldn’t have dried on your old signature.. 

that being said I’m still suprised that Jake did this.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

1 minute ago, wheelsup said:

I think people use the word integrity like it’s a the 1970s.. there is very little “integrity” in college sports outside of D3.. programs will drop scholarships (happened to friends of mine) .. coaches always leave when they get a better offer.. now players do as well. 

there are very few people on this website and others that would turn down 40% more money and more stability than there current job.. most of u would be gone so fast the ink wouldn’t have dried on your old signature.. 

that being said I’m still suprised that Jake did this.

And collegiate sports is a gigantic mess right now because of this mentality. It is not sustainable over the long run. There will be a reckoning for a lot of people sooner or later. And it won't be pleasant.

Anyway, everyone has their own opinions on this. What's not open to interpretation is that this is as low as the program has been since the Mussman Era. And it only figures to get worse before 2024 kicks off.

But I'll be in my seat in the Alerus Center as always.

Like I said I thought Chaves would extend Bubba with hire of Landry to give him some security with coming here. NDSU job opening would give more job security and is better job over UND with where both programs are now. If this turmoil continues all of you here on this board better live with  consequences because we’re heading for loss of number players leaving this program and it will be blue chip players going. This will put us back to worse position than we were in 2013 and all we will hear then how I we wish we were back to where we are now. The money for the program will drop because of less attendance and our local reputation of becoming contender will be gone putting us in loosing position . There are so many think all it will take is new coach that will be messiah that will just turn this program around but we have lost our players, revenue drops and how this effects us setting up NIL program, and  how players in the region percieve  the program if it’s school  that they want to come to. I might be little negative but I don’t think a lot of people here on the board realize that Und does not have reputation as sports school with exception of hockey. That is why I have not as critical of Bubba because has reputation of being fair to  players and how he has been invested in UND to better the program not just stepping stone where who ever we get is looking to leave in couple seasons and then we’re trying to rebuild again with another coach unless you have lot of money and is destination where players want to come usually ends in major disaster. I am done for while commenting on football I will just sit back watch this train wreck so many of you wanting it to happen and I believe it’s because school to South’s success and you haven’t understood how the schools have separated on football and where the programs have grown apart because of the paths school have chosen and being in division I sports and communities supporting the schools are not as close as they were 25 years ago.

10 minutes ago, ND-fan said:

Like I said I thought Chaves would extend Bubba with hire of Landry to give him some security with coming here. NDSU job opening would give more job security and is better job over UND with where both programs are now. If this turmoil continues all of you here on this board better live with  consequences because we’re heading for loss of number players leaving this program and it will be blue chip players going. This will put us back to worse position than we were in 2013 and all we will hear then how I we wish we were back to where we are now. The money for the program will drop because of less attendance and our local reputation of becoming contender will be gone putting us in loosing position . There are so many think all it will take is new coach that will be messiah that will just turn this program around but we have lost our players, revenue drops and how this effects us setting up NIL program, and  how players in the region percieve  the program if it’s school  that they want to come to. I might be little negative but I don’t think a lot of people here on the board realize that Und does not have reputation as sports school with exception of hockey. That is why I have not as critical of Bubba because has reputation of being fair to  players and how he has been invested in UND to better the program not just stepping stone where who ever we get is looking to leave in couple seasons and then we’re trying to rebuild again with another coach unless you have lot of money and is destination where players want to come usually ends in major disaster. I am done for while commenting on football I will just sit back watch this train wreck so many of you wanting it to happen and I believe it’s because school to South’s success and you haven’t understood how the schools have separated on football and where the programs have grown apart because of the paths school have chosen and being in division I sports and communities supporting the schools are not as close as they were 25 years ago.

UND leadership needs to deliberately want to get better. It won’t happen by accident. Can’t be hockey-only. Can’t be extending mediocre coaches. Need to hire young up-and-comer, not an old-timer lifer, but ultimately have to hire the right guy. Need to then give the new staff the proper support, as cant fail to underfund the coaches. So many facets needed to right the ship for UND football. Easy to sit back and watch the ship sink as apathy settles in, but there needs to be a group of proactive supporters that ignite the resurgence. Who will it end up being? Or, will it end up happening? We will see …