SiouxSports.com Forum

2024 UND Football

andtheHomeoftheSIOUX!!

Just now, UND-FB-FAN said:

We can displace some of our anger on individuals, sure, but this is a systematic problem at this point. Look at the bigger picture. 

I agree with you on the systemic problems. But this isn't about that; this is about someone giving their word and then breaking it. That is what has me fuming, not him wanting to make more money.

1 minute ago, Devils said:

Just curious what all the blaming of Chaves is for?  Not defending the guy, just curious.  Because we don't have the money to pay assistants I'm guessing?  Because he hasn't fired Bubba?

All of the above and then some. The athletic department has been sinking into a dark hole under Chaves. If he extends Bubba during the off-season, that will be the last straw for me.

24 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

UND football is just not a high-reputation, powerful job right now. NDSU and SDSU are regarded as undoubtedly better jobs, and that should infuriate anyone who loves UND. We know NDSU and SDSU have been better for the past decade plus on the court and field, but now it’s spread to the office, head and hearts of UND alumni. That is beyond damaging.

This current sad state of affairs has to do with the fragile mediocre trend over the past several years, which falls on the shoulders of Bubba and Chaves. When being aggressive and making the rational contemporary decision was necessary, it was instead deferred, and in some cases, the opposite was actually done instead.

An embarrassment, a black eye for UND football for sure -- and a perfect opportunity to trot out your daily diatribe again Schweigert -- but this one's 100% on Landry. He was offered and accepted the OC position at a top 20 FCS program, then bolted in less than 10 days for a similar job at UND's chief rival, clearly hurting his alma mater. His decision, not Bubba's or Chaves'. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

6 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

If Landry had went straight from St. Thomas to NDSU, that wouldn't bother me that much.

But he took job at UND, blubbered about how happy he was to be back.......and then stabbed Bubba and the rest of us in the back on his way out the door to NDSU.

It's fairly obvious he used the UND offer to get the NDSU one. Disgusting. :angry:

But whomever wants to cheer him on down there so you can "be a part of it", go right on ahead.

Landry is now the enemy and should be treated as such.

The NDSU job was not open when he took the UND job. Tyler Roehl didn't leave NDSU until this week. I am guessing he meant what he said when he was excited to come back to UND and that he had no intentions of going elsewhere. But things can change very quickly these days in regards to new opportunities. What is the statute of limitations on giving someone your "word"? If a better opportunity comes up at any time, whether it be your first day or 2 years into a job, a person can't be blamed for wanting to explore it, whether that be a student-athlete, a coach, or any person in the community in their normal occupation.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, SooToo said:

An embarrassment, a black eye for UND football for sure -- and a perfect opportunity to trot out your daily diatribe again Schweigert -- but this one's 100% on Landry. He was offered and accepted the OC position at a top 20 FCS program, then bolted in less than 10 days for a similar job at UND's chief rival, clearly hurting his alma mater. His decision, not Bubba's or Chaves'. 

If you think the OC at NDSU is a "similar" job other than having the same title, versus the OC at UND, I don't think you have much of a feel for how college football works. Do you think the OC of Arkansas is a similar job to the OC of Georgia just because they are in the same conference?

• Upvote 2

Chaves doesn’t have the stature to right the ship

i never could figure out why he was hired in the first place, had just been let go by eastern Washington and UND hires him, what a dumb move

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, GForks said:

The NDSU job was not open when he took the UND job. Tyler Roehl didn't leave NDSU until this week. I am guessing he meant what he said when he was excited to come back to UND and that he had no intentions of going elsewhere. But things can change very quickly these days in regards to new opportunities. What is the statute of limitations on giving someone your "word"? If a better opportunity comes up at any time, whether it be your first day or 2 years into a job, a person can't be blamed for wanting to explore it, whether that be a student-athlete, a coach, or any person in the community in their normal occupation.

Integrity matters. I don't care what aspect of life you are talking about. If you don't have integrity, everything else is meaningless.

I am really sick of the whole "You can't blame someone for doing whatever they want" thinking. Landry stabbed all of us in the back. If you want to applaud him, go right on ahead. But don't expect me to join you.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

I agree with you on the systemic problems. But this isn't about that; this is about someone giving their word and then breaking it. That is what has me fuming, not him wanting to make more money.

If UND football was a more attractive position, you would not have someone breaking their word. And why did Bubba hire someone with such questionable motives? Another example of both systematic failure and Bubba’s inept decision-making.

• Upvote 1

29 minutes ago, SooToo said:

Not 100% on Landry. A large portion, sure, but the reality is UND football doesn’t have the glamour we all want it to. That isn’t on Landry who wasn’t a UND employee for much more than a week. That’s on Bubba, Chaves, etc.

Just now, fightingsioux4life said:

Integrity matters. I don't care what aspect of life you are talking about. If you don't have integrity, everything else is meaningless.

I am really sick of the whole "You can't blame someone for doing whatever they want" thinking. Landry stabbed all of us in the back. If you want to applaud him, go right on ahead. But don't expect me to join you.

How long would he have to stay here to qualify as having integrity? 1 year? 5 years? I'm not applauding anyone for anything. I'm just not blaming someone for going a different route after circumstances changed.

9 minutes ago, GForks said:

Do you think the OC of Arkansas is a similar job to the OC of Georgia just because they are in the same conference?

The reality is these perceptions can change in 5-10 years; they often do per historical trends. 

2 minutes ago, GForks said:

How long would he have to stay here to qualify as having integrity? 1 year? 5 years? I'm not applauding anyone for anything. I'm just not blaming someone for going a different route after circumstances changed.

Nine days. Is that enough?

4 minutes ago, GForks said:

not sure of the exact time needed but it is certainly longer than 8 days.  

• Upvote 1

Just now, Siouxperman8 said:

not sure of the exact time needed but it is certainly longer than 8 days.  

Is it relevant or not that a much better opportunity presented itself that didn't exist 8 days earlier? If he stays this year and then goes to a better opportunity does that somehow make this better or different? I'd feel different about the whole thing if the NDSU job had been open at the time he was hired at UND. But it wasn't, and there was zero indication that there would be a better opportunity elsewhere.

1 minute ago, GoodGood said:

A lot of people in their feelings right now

You're right about that. And I am not apologizing for it.

But the larger, overall problem is Chaves being invisible and running the department like a high school.

If that doesn't change, nothing else will.

7 minutes ago, GForks said:

Is it relevant or not that a much better opportunity presented itself that didn't exist 8 days earlier? If he stays this year and then goes to a better opportunity does that somehow make this better or different? I'd feel different about the whole thing if the NDSU job had been open at the time he was hired at UND. But it wasn't, and there was zero indication that there would be a better opportunity elsewhere.

I guess I just value honoring your commitments whether or not the pretty girl suddenly notices you.

Especially with the history he has with the program.  It's not like he was going to a place he had no ties to. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Siouxperman8 said:

Wondering about the absence of geaux_sioux for the last few weeks with all that's gone down. 

Is he just fed up with the whole situation or did he leave with Danny like the Walrus left with Dale? 

Yep. A lot of regular posters are sitting out the cluster Sioux Sports has become.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

This right here.........1000%

What is the commitment though? That's what I am struggling with. It is not uncommon in any sports to leave/be fired before your contract is up, or before your eligibility is up. In general, of course honoring your commitment and honoring your word is a big deal in life. BUT, where I get lost in this whole thing is what exactly is the requisite commitment in the sports contract world?