SiouxSports.com Forum

Some Thoughts on UND's FB Program

UND Fan

18 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

You’re correct, football is the #1 most profitable collegiate sport, but it requires large stadiums; not 10k-20k like FCS North Dakota and North Dakota State support.

So what is the "right size" stadium for those schools you mention. 

1 hour ago, Wright4UND said:

My disappointment from being a recent fan is that the students don't come to the football games.  It looks like maybe 1,000 students come to a big game.  In the last 4 years the home record for the football team 18-2 (only losses to NDSU and SDSU) so the record is outstanding.  The games have been exciting as well!

If they could coax 2,000 students to a game then the atmosphere would be electric!  I think the Athletic Dept., coaching staff and players should do more to get the students out to the games.  Go to the frat and sorority meetings to let them know they are wanted and needed.  Go to freshman orientations to get them hooked early.  Need more buy in! 

I think the program is set up for a really good season!  I'm looking forward to it! 

We had a strong student section in the Alerus Center from 2001-2005. Which is also when we were national contenders. Funny how that correlates. ;)

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, UND08 said:

At the risk of mucking things up more...I'm going to make a couple points.  I will say...this is a message board...and I have yet to see SS on the "Message Board Geniuses" twitter page...so we have a ways to go before we win the "race to the bottom"...haha!

1 - Hockey is #1 at UND and will always be.  Because of that...non-hockey people will always feel like their sports are slighted.  Also...a hockey-centric athletic department model is somewhat of a rarity in the NCAA.  If I was crafting a department from scratch...it's not how I'd do it (too niche of a sport) ...but I can appreciate why it's the case at UND.  However that philosophy will always lead to issues with other sports.  There are obvious pros and cons to both sides of this coin.

2 - The Champions Club doesn't get it done.  I'm sorry but I see what Teammakers accomplishes at NDSU and our efforts are just lacking.  I know Ira is passionate about UND, and I really do appreciate it...but if they are attempting to cultivate new donor relationships then it's being done completely in the blind to me.  There's zero presence here in Minot where I live...but NDSU Teammakers have fundraisers here all the time.  The local university here does a much better job trying to build relationships...and even though I did not go to school at Minot State...they get most of my dollars now.  Maybe I'm too small of a fish for UND...but I like to think I'll be a bigger fish someday, and it's just a simple reality that supporting Minot State is more likely to help my employer and industry at this point in developing future employees (I get it we can see the end of the world from here...haha!).  I think a re-working of the Champions Club with some new ideas would pay some big dividends in my book!

3 - Back to football...I've been critical in the past, but I will 100% give credit where credit is due.  Coach Schweigert engaged me, met with me...and spelled out his immediate goals for the program while in the area on a recruiting trip.  He didn't have to do that...and it impressed the heck out of me!  Nobody wants to win more than he does.  I really hope we can take another step forward this year...there's no reason we can't in my book!  My only donations to UND are directly toward football initiatives at this point...because that's the program I care most about.  If there are others out there like me...I'd challenge you to do the same!  Simply put...money talks and BS walks...College sports are a giant money pit...but they are fun and it takes money to make money (and win).

Well said. You and others would be a better source of information regarding UND’s efforts in NDak, especially the western part of the state. Others have also raised the issue of not being contacted regarding opportunities to be involved and also the communication piece. It’s obvious to me that needs to be a priority for UND and especially athletics. I would agree NDSU is doing a better job especially west of the Red River Valley. I will speak with The UND folks at the upcoming UND events that I attend. You and the others are correct in that regardless of the challenges, UND needs to do better. Do you have a preference as to what method of communication works best?  
I would also recommend emailing or calling Tim Belmore, Steve Brekke or others in the Alumni office to forward your concerns and suggestions. 

1 hour ago, UND08 said:

I'm sorry but I see what Teammakers accomplishes at NDSU and our efforts are just lacking.

Turns out when your most visible program goes on a pretty unprecedented run, its really, really easy to sell your product. The same people who oversaw most of that growth were around in the D2 and transition days when UND was raising a very comparable amount of money. UND hockey had a season ticket waiting list long before NDSU football ever did (though I'm pretty sure you can currently buy season tickets to either sport.)

Their team did the hard work and created the demand for them. Most of their work was capitalize on it and continue to raise prices. And frankly, based on current demand and availability, it is looking like they are fairly close to the peak if not slightly past.

Overall point being, the only magical formula NDSU found for fundraising was a string of really good years (and whatever elixir it was that Ben Newman was giving out....).

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, UND08 said:

At the risk of mucking things up more...I'm going to make a couple points.  I will say...this is a message board...and I have yet to see SS on the "Message Board Geniuses" twitter page...so we have a ways to go before we win the "race to the bottom"...haha!

1 - Hockey is #1 at UND and will always be.  Because of that...non-hockey people will always feel like their sports are slighted.  Also...a hockey-centric athletic department model is somewhat of a rarity in the NCAA.  If I was crafting a department from scratch...it's not how I'd do it (too niche of a sport) ...but I can appreciate why it's the case at UND.  However that philosophy will always lead to issues with other sports.  There are obvious pros and cons to both sides of this coin.

2 - The Champions Club doesn't get it done.  I'm sorry but I see what Teammakers accomplishes at NDSU and our efforts are just lacking.  I know Ira is passionate about UND, and I really do appreciate it...but if they are attempting to cultivate new donor relationships then it's being done completely in the blind to me.  There's zero presence here in Minot where I live...but NDSU Teammakers have fundraisers here all the time.  The local university here does a much better job trying to build relationships...and even though I did not go to school at Minot State...they get most of my dollars now.  Maybe I'm too small of a fish for UND...but I like to think I'll be a bigger fish someday, and it's just a simple reality that supporting Minot State is more likely to help my employer and industry at this point in developing future employees (I get it we can see the end of the world from here...haha!).  I think a re-working of the Champions Club with some new ideas would pay some big dividends in my book!

3 - Back to football...I've been critical in the past, but I will 100% give credit where credit is due.  Coach Schweigert engaged me, met with me...and spelled out his immediate goals for the program while in the area on a recruiting trip.  He didn't have to do that...and it impressed the heck out of me!  Nobody wants to win more than he does.  I really hope we can take another step forward this year...there's no reason we can't in my book!  My only donations to UND are directly toward football initiatives at this point...because that's the program I care most about.  If there are others out there like me...I'd challenge you to do the same!  Simply put...money talks and BS walks...College sports are a giant money pit...but they are fun and it takes money to make money (and win).

I completely agree with everything you mentioned. Great post.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, iramurphy said:

Well said. You and others would be a better source of information regarding UND’s efforts in NDak, especially the western part of the state. Others have also raised the issue of not being contacted regarding opportunities to be involved and also the communication piece. It’s obvious to me that needs to be a priority for UND and especially athletics. I would agree NDSU is doing a better job especially west of the Red River Valley. I will speak with The UND folks at the upcoming UND events that I attend. You and the others are correct in that regardless of the challenges, UND needs to do better. Do you have a preference as to what method of communication works best?  
I would also recommend emailing or calling Tim Belmore, Steve Brekke or others in the Alumni office to forward your concerns and suggestions. 

Ira,

NDSU and Team Makers are doing a better job on both sides of the river. We all can (again) email Tim, Steve and others, but when will the functions actually improve? When will efforts to recognize numerous “small fish” actually happen so we can collectively move football forward. I guarantee there’s a lot hidden dollars out there, but it’s not just the $; there’s also the effort piece. Despite getting the majority of funding, UND hockey also gets the majority of the work hours. It’s just too much emphasis on one sport and it shows. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

46 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

Turns out when your most visible program goes on a pretty unprecedented run, its really, really easy to sell your product. The same people who oversaw most of that growth were around in the D2 and transition days when UND was raising a very comparable amount of money. UND hockey had a season ticket waiting list long before NDSU football ever did (though I'm pretty sure you can currently buy season tickets to either sport.)

Their team did the hard work and created the demand for them. Most of their work was capitalize on it and continue to raise prices. And frankly, based on current demand and availability, it is looking like they are fairly close to the peak if not slightly past.

Overall point being, the only magical formula NDSU found for fundraising was a string of really good years (and whatever elixir it was that Ben Newman was giving out....).

NDSU didn’t accidentally become good at football like some UND fans like to think. There’s a method to the madness, and UND (and really the entire country) need to take notes and actuate to a certain degree.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

21 minutes ago, fightingsioux4life said:

Don't bother trying to reason with @jdub27. His solution is always to send emails, even if all most people get in response is some milktoast, boilerplate crap that doesn't actually answer any questions.

But to be fair, it's not just him. This is the complacency that seems to have taken hold amongst too many of our supporters. And that is a form of inertia that is very hard to overcome. After 15 years of using a Division II funding model to fund a Division I athletic department, it is way past time to try something different.

Or make a call. Or approach decision makers at events. Doesn't take a whole lot to get facetime and have a meaningful conversation or set up one for a different time.

If that is the response you're getting, maybe take a look in the mirror and think through if your approach and way you handle yourself is maybe the problem. But I have a hard time actually believing you've put in any effort to talk to anyone about what is going on, what the vision is and what you can do to help with it. Making uninformed, semi-passive aggressive commentary anonymously is much easier I'm sure.

• Downvote 2

1 hour ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

NDSU didn’t accidentally become good at football like some UND fans like to think. There’s a method to the madness, and UND (and really the entire country) need to take notes and actuate to a certain degree.

I think if Bubba and Co. could have held on and beaten the Bison when they had a chance our trajectory would be different.  And the current Bison run started when they let go Bob Babich who had a 46-22 record after one bad season (he had other seasons of 12-2, 9-2, and 9-3).  Other criticisms of Babich was a poor playoff record and the fact we dominated him.  

11 minutes ago, Irish said:

And the current Bison run started when they let go Bob Babich who had a 46-22 record after one bad season (he had other seasons of 12-2, 9-2, and 9-3). 

No way in hell the current athletic department philosophy would let go of a non-hockey coach with this record. This isn’t the entire problem, but it is part of the problem. What is the major problem? The culture towards non-hockey sports at UND is a major problem. It’s not just money, but also time devoted towards non-hockey sports; it’s not nearly adequate. Complacency has set in. The current administration (and coaches) know their seat won’t get hot if they are at least just average with non-hockey sports. Alumni and fans need to demand better, but they don’t; they cheer for hockey and sit in a $100M hockey arena, and all other sport support (football, basketball, baseball) is largely funneled down to NDSU and Fargo. The few remaining that support UND football and basketball are clinging to the hope that the UND athletic department and administration change their ways before there’s nothing left to salvage. UND athletics is not solely a hockey club. 

4 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

So what is the "right size" stadium for those schools you mention. 

NDSU could attract more than 20k/gameday (probably 30-40k based on Fargo growth trajectory and move to FBS) but UND can’t right now, unless changes are made. This is why the Fargo media seems to pump out an article daily on the necessity of NDSU capitalizing on their current situation. It would produce more revenue for NDSU and Fargo, and leave UND further behind in the dust. It is something UND needs to heed. And something needs to be done right now, not with an approach of “it will just take more time” for UND football to catch up to NDSU football and UND hockey. 

So, what are the changes needed for UND? Besides obviously bigger and nicer facilities (that’s a major rate limiting step here), it’s also a culture shift; more focus and marketing toward football, bigger named opponents (go FBS), and most importantly, more wins, which will - simply put - require better coaching and recruiting.  Two fold solution, as has been talked about ad nauseam: increase efforts towards football via administration hours, and increase funding (likely combination of donor dollars and reallocation). 

Right now, University of North Dakota athletics is taking the path of least resistance. It’s securing donor dollars purely for hockey, as there’s no significant regional resistance (competition) for hockey because NDSU doesn’t sponsor it. UND athletic dept. philosophy is basically not even attempting to compete with NDSU. It focuses on hockey and continually presses the ”easy” button. When will the approach change? Ever? 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Wright4UND said:

My disappointment from being a recent fan is that the students don't come to the football games.  It looks like maybe 1,000 students come to a big game.  In the last 4 years the home record for the football team 18-2 (only losses to NDSU and SDSU) so the record is outstanding.  The games have been exciting as well!

If they could coax 2,000 students to a game then the atmosphere would be electric!  I think the Athletic Dept., coaching staff and players should do more to get the students out to the games.  Go to the frat and sorority meetings to let them know they are wanted and needed.  Go to freshman orientations to get them hooked early.  Need more buy in! 

I think the program is set up for a really good season!  I'm looking forward to it! 

I believe this is a trend at just about every football school in the country with a few exceptions. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Ira,

NDSU and Team Makers are doing a better job on both sides of the river. We all can (again) email Tim, Steve and others, but when will the functions actually improve? When will efforts to recognize numerous “small fish” actually happen so we can collectively move football forward. I guarantee there’s a lot hidden dollars out there, but it’s not just the $; there’s also the effort piece. Despite getting the majority of funding, UND hockey also gets the majority of the work hours. It’s just too much emphasis on one sport and it shows. 

I don’t pay much attention to what NDSU does and I’m not disagreeing with your points regarding areas where we need to improve/fall short. My initial disagreement was with reference of lazy, clueless, disinterested etc.  I think they work hard and spend a lot of time and effort to improve things and increase resources.  I don’t disagree with those whose contention is we need to do better  

I don’t believe hockey is the problem. I still think hockey is where it should be. The point you and others make regarding the number of people UND hasn’t reached yet means that before we look to hockey we need to get to those people you and others have identified. There are staff dedicated primarily to hockey, to FB etc and others who go where and when needed. 

I can’t answer your question regarding when will things improve. I can’t see how it will hurt if we reach out to UND staff for our own wishes as well as identifying other potential donors. I will raise concerns regarding people who haven’t been contacted or especially those who fell ignored or even slighted.  PM me with names or details and I will do what I can to help. 

I believe we agree we have a long way to go to where we need to be. I believe we have good people working hard. Maybe the little things we can do to help will add up to a significant contribution. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, iramurphy said:

I don’t pay much attention to what NDSU does and I’m not disagreeing with your points regarding areas where we need to improve/fall short. My initial disagreement was with reference of lazy, clueless, disinterested etc.  I think they work hard and spend a lot of time and effort to improve things and increase resources.  I don’t disagree with those whose contention is we need to do better  

I don’t believe hockey is the problem. I still think hockey is where it should be. The point you and others make regarding the number of people UND hasn’t reached yet means that before we look to hockey we need to get to those people you and others have identified. There are staff dedicated primarily to hockey, to FB etc and others who go where and when needed. 

I can’t answer your question regarding when will things improve. I can’t see how it will hurt if we reach out to UND staff for our own wishes as well as identifying other potential donors. I will raise concerns regarding people who haven’t been contacted or especially those who fell ignored or even slighted.  PM me with names or details and I will do what I can to help. 

I believe we agree we have a long way to go to where we need to be. I believe we have good people working hard. Maybe the little things we can do to help will add up to a significant contribution. 

1. Ignoring NDSU is a foolish approach, in my opinion. Keep your friends close, your enemies closer. Not to mention NDSU is the gold standard for all of FCS football right now, never mind the regional implications for UND.

2. Much of the staff is lazy, clueless, disinterested, when it comes to UND football. They do just enough to get by, not enough to ascend the program. That is not the case with hockey. Hockey is given more time, above and beyond. There are several champion club members (some of 10+ years) that are never contacted or communicated with. If they were appreciated, they would potentially donate more. Why aren’t they contacted? Laziness and/or lack of departmental philosophy/vision; hence those descriptors being used. These “small fish” are ignored just so administrators can make the same phone calls again and again to large donors only to be said no to on numerous occasions. You should be able to visualize the issue now, I hope. Recognize the FB supporters and search for more. 

3. Hockey is indirectly the problem. Sure, hockey “is where it should be”, but it is over-allocated on resources and time. There is only a finite amount of time and resources, which I’m sure you know, and football gets slighted due to the degree of emphasis on hockey. It’s just the reality. Good luck raising UND football to the next level with the current degree of hockey emphasis - it just won’t happen. What are the discrepancies in staff size when you consider staff dedicated to hockey vs FB? What are the hours per week dedicated to each? We all know they aren’t equal or even close to equal. That is a part of the issue. 

4. Want names? Get a copy of current champions club members. Look at the members that have season tickets for FB. Some of these folks may not have current investment in UND’s beloved over-hyped sport of hockey; are they thus being purposely overlooked when it comes to outreach? There are several FB only donors that are not reached out to. It’s apart of the failure of the Champions Club and Alumni Association, as well as the exemplification of the failed philosophy of Chaves’ department. Bottomline, all non-hockey sports are and have been treated like a red-headed step-child and it shows on the field and courts. But, but, but … there’s always ice ….

• Like 1

I never said I ignore NDSU I said I don’t pay much attention to what NDSU does. If you continue the nonsense about lazy, disinterested, clueless etc then you will need to explain what your background is, your training, and your experiences that have made you such an excellent judge of their work ethic and incompetence. Have you played or coached?  Have you been an AD. Have you hired, supervised, and promoted or fired employees?  Have you owned your on business? Have you sat on the board of directors of a corporation, civic group, not for profit organization etc.?  

If you know so many people who feel disrespected or ignored why aren’t you willing to be part of the solution?  What are you basing your claim that you know how much time staff spends on FB, Hockey and other sports.?  

I don’t consider myself a large donor and I’m not personally contacted often. Although I believe there are supporters out there who could and maybe would do more, why aren’t you willing to help give UND staff the opportunity to fix the problem?

Why aren’t these Champion club members getting the same emails with opportunities for events etc that I get?  They are invited to the Chsmpions Club pre-gaming tailgating tent that the rest of us are aren’t they.  There is free food and UND coaches from other sports, athletes from other sports and other UND often address the fans  

What is it these fans would like UND to do?  I’m not going to waste my time looking at Champions Club lists to discern who donates to which sports and whether or not they are happy or disappointed  

If you aren’t willing or able to answer these questions then you have zero credibility and it is easy to understand why your opinions are ignored and you feel left out.  It isn’t just because you are usually bitching about coaches, staff, administrators etc .  Many will give you the benefit of the doubt, unless you show yourself to be lacking in the knowledge, experience, intelligence and social skills to participate in a manner to affect positive change  

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

10 hours ago, iramurphy said:

I’m not going to waste my time looking at Champions Club lists to discern who donates to which sports and whether or not they are happy or disappointed  

Did you not just say that we need to take action into our own hands? But now this is a waste of time? Apparently both you and the University of North Dakota athletic administration thinks this is a waste of time, and the lack of results shows. At least your vision is consistent with that of the universities, but they’re both inferior.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, Mama Sue said:

You go Ira. I really do not understand why someone continually downgrades almost everything about UND football. 
Next post…maybe 4 things (realistic) that can improve our program and what we can do to help.

Already stated numerous times within the past couple days.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

11 hours ago, iramurphy said:

I never said I ignore NDSU I said I don’t pay much attention to what NDSU does. If you continue the nonsense about lazy, disinterested, clueless etc then you will need to explain what your background is, your training, and your experiences that have made you such an excellent judge of their work ethic and incompetence. Have you played or coached?  Have you been an AD. Have you hired, supervised, and promoted or fired employees?  Have you owned your on business? Have you sat on the board of directors of a corporation, civic group, not for profit organization etc.?  

If you know so many people who feel disrespected or ignored why aren’t you willing to be part of the solution?  What are you basing your claim that you know how much time staff spends on FB, Hockey and other sports.?  

I don’t consider myself a large donor and I’m not personally contacted often. Although I believe there are supporters out there who could and maybe would do more, why aren’t you willing to help give UND staff the opportunity to fix the problem?

Why aren’t these Champion club members getting the same emails with opportunities for events etc that I get?  They are invited to the Chsmpions Club pre-gaming tailgating tent that the rest of us are aren’t they.  There is free food and UND coaches from other sports, athletes from other sports and other UND often address the fans  

What is it these fans would like UND to do?  I’m not going to waste my time looking at Champions Club lists to discern who donates to which sports and whether or not they are happy or disappointed  

If you aren’t willing or able to answer these questions then you have zero credibility and it is easy to understand why your opinions are ignored and you feel left out.  It isn’t just because you are usually bitching about coaches, staff, administrators etc .  Many will give you the benefit of the doubt, unless you show yourself to be lacking in the knowledge, experience, intelligence and social skills to participate in a manner to affect positive change  

What a bunch of misdirection malarkey. None of what you said acknowledged the real issues I discerned with UND athletics and UND FB. I can provide my credentials, but on this forum, there is absolutely no requirement for me to do so. UND football and the UND athletic administration are failing.  Something needs to be done. I’ve outlined several potential solutions over the past couple days on here. I obviously could waste more of my time trying to change the current administration’s mind, but they’re set in their ineffective ways, so it seems. And may not all be due to laziness, because the overall philosophy (as outlined previously) is something I don’t agree with. You could do something about it, as well, since you’re apparently so well connected with- presumably- pristine credentials. I, however, will have the decency to abstain from probing on such meaningless information within this medium. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

What a bunch of misdirection malarkey. None of what you said acknowledged the real issues I discerned with UND athletics and UND FB. I can provide my credentials, but on this forum, there is absolutely no requirement for me to do so. UND football and the UND athletic administration are failing.  Something needs to be done. I’ve outlined several potential solutions over the past couple days on here. I obviously could waste more of my time trying to changes the administration’s mind, but they’re set in their ineffective ways. And may not all be due to laziness, because the overall philosophy (as outlined previously) is something I don’t agree with. You could do something about it, as well, since you’re apparently so well connected with- presumably- pristine credentials. I, however, will have the decency to abstain from probing on such meaningless information within this medium. 

No one on forums like this have to provide any information but I wonder about where you are coming from because it seems you feel able to judge someone’s work ethic, their strategies, their abilities etc on regular basis. I’m no better connected and probably not as well connected to UND than many on this forum. I have suggested ways for those who feel left out to get the information they desire or improved connections with UND. 
Maybe you could suggest to me how I can learn about this “philosophy” and the inner workings, including where the emphasis is regarding the different sports and especially your personal observations of this poor work ethic/laziness you keep referring to. 
Like many others on this forum I “do something about it” already.  I find that is a better way to help than the whining, and criticism founded and unfounded.  

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1