SiouxSports.com Forum

Some Thoughts on UND's FB Program

UND Fan

10 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

A long time ago a UND advisor, actually two different* in different departments, told me you can bring me any problem but also have a real solution or else you are just complaining. 

*both were native Walsh County boys 

.I'm a native Walsh County boy.

8 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Happy to carry the same “pathetic minority sport” mindset as the Big Ten and a couple service academies.

This is a blatantly incorrect propaganda statement, but good try. Big Ten emphasizes and funds hockey over football? That’s laughable. 

8 hours ago, iramurphy said:

Really? Would you recognize the truth/facts if it bit you in the ass?

Most people try to learn what’s going on with UND by reading and communicating on this forum. What drives some away are the petty comments about truth etc. 

I have experiences that I rely on to form my opinions. I suspect your experiences (or lack there of) are what you rely on to form your opinions. I believe that is a major reason we disagree on a number of issues.

In this case, very few people want much, if anything, to do with complainers, whiners, and those who seem to find fault with most people who are “in the arena” succeeding or failing then learning from the experience and moving on to the next challenge. No one worth a damn to any organization will bitch about things then hide behind the “it isn’t my job” excuse. 

If it makes you feel any better, I’m thankful you were never on my team, I never had to coach you, supervise you, work with you or for you, or ever had to count on you to armor up and cover my 6. 

Ironically, you’re formulating a comprehensive evaluation, and ultimately a final assessment, based on information you received on a forum. That honestly doesn’t make me feel any better; it is quite ridiculous, actually. Aren’t we supposed to be relying on experiences, you say? And again, your reply takes my comments again out of context for your own personal gain according to your (incorrect) biases.

As for “complainers, whiners, and those who seem to find fault with most people who are ‘in the arena’ succeeding or failing“, can they not ever be correct? Are their viewpoints and conclusions instantly null and void? Because the logical answer to that is of course no, yet you seem to be trying to push a false absolutism. I can’t agree with that.

To transition this back over to UND, some of the complaints we hear are valid. Communication with and appreciation for certain supporters and boosters could be better. Allocation of resources/funds could be better.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Sioux>Bison said:

No it says UND football fan need to donate some of his time if he wants UND to be successful. Quit complaining and do something productive out of it. We need to catch up to teammakers.

Put Up $$$$ or Shut Up!

So it can be spent on *another* hockey locker room renovation? No thanks. Priorities need to be clarified. 

Would anyone from the Alumni Association or Champions Cub even acknowledge such donation? Based on conversations I’ve had, as well as personal experience, I doubt it.

University of North Dakota needs better leadership and direction, first, then we’ll see how it goes. 

And as a disclaimer, this isn’t a one time donation or single donor issue; it’s a systemic issue, so don’t point the finger at me.

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Ironically, you’re formulating a comprehensive evaluation, and ultimately a final assessment, based on information you received on a forum. That honestly doesn’t make me feel any better; it is quite ridiculous, actually. Aren’t we supposed to be relying on experiences, you say? And again, your reply takes my comments again out of context for your own personal gain according to your (incorrect) biases.

As for “complainers, whiners, and those who seem to find fault with most people who are ‘in the arena’ succeeding or failing“, can they not ever be correct? Are their viewpoints and conclusions instantly null and void? Because the logical answer to that is of course no, yet you seem to be trying to push a false absolutism. I can’t agree with that.

To transition this back over to UND, some of the complaints we hear are valid. Communication with and appreciation for certain supporters and boosters could be better. Allocation of resources/funds could be better.

I haven’t formulated a comprehensive evaluation or formulated anything final.  If you read my post I have agreed that the complainers can have valid concerns and good ideas. My opinion remains that their negative attitudes tend to drive others away. Most people don’t want to hang around the constant complainers or those who constantly criticize. I don’t believe it’s just a coincidence that those same people seem to be the ones who feel UND staff don’t communicate with them and don’t listen to them etc. 

The valid points you might make or good ideas you might have then fall on deaf ears for that reason. Those who advocate new staff/coaches at whatever level have valid opinions but just like my opinions not everyone will agree. You are correct in that UND can do better in many areas and they also know that. 

I’m not sure what points you are trying to make but I get no personal gain from comments made here. Heck, I doubt many people even know me although a few have figured out who I am. 

I tried to make points regarding an approach that I believe is more effective in trying to communicate with UND leaders. I tried to share my opinion of how I have seen big donors discuss pertinent issues and some of the things that can stimulate their interest in donating or involving themselves in worthy causes including donations to UND. I know they want nothing to do with someone “demanding” anything or suggesting what they do with their resources. I’m not sure how you reach some of the conclusions you do but that’s your business. When you raised the issue of being truthful you made things my business. It should be no surprise that my comments didn’t make you “feel better”.  

Like Irish,  I attend games, buy season tickets and am a Champions Club donor. I don’t know who he is or I would ask Tim Belmore or Steve Brekke to reach out. If he doesn’t feel his generosity is appreciated by UND that would be an opportunity for improvement which I believe UND would like to fix. 

Take your approach and I will take mine. I don’t know about you, but hire and fire any of these folks.  I don’t believe it serves any purpose for me comment further unless there is a question I might answer. 

1 hour ago, Bison Dan said:

Phil is a radio guy, was a pro and doesn't coach DI FB. 

Calling Phil a "radio guy" is correct but incomplete. 

Calling Tom Dosch a "radio guy" is correct but incomplete given his nearly 30 years in collegiate coaching. Frankly, when Dosch left NSU for a position at UND I had him pegged as a future DC. I'd guess his role is "mentor" now. 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

This is a blatantly incorrect propaganda statement, but good try. Big Ten emphasizes and funds hockey over football? That’s laughable. 

By your philosophy they should diminish what they allocate to hockey and put it to football. 

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

By your philosophy they should diminish what they allocate to hockey and put it to football. 

The alternative is wait for football to reach hockey’s level, and that won’t happen anytime soon with the current format. Is it robbing Peter to pay Paul if Peter shouldn’t have had it in the first place? We all know the culture around UND; this scenario will never happen, but the status quo will continue to put UND football on an uphill battle. Increasing funds for football will help (no doubt), but unprecedented leadership for football is what will ultimately take it to the next level. This includes the HC, AD, President, and certain donors/boosters/alumni. Need a visionary, but it takes more than one person; need a group of special people looking out for UND football, despite hockey being the unfortunate centerpiece. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Is it robbing Peter to pay Paul if Peter shouldn’t have had it in the first place?

Why shouldn't hockey have had it?
Back in the day Cal Marvin did the work to make a program. 

Today?
Hockey is putting a quarter million butts in seats.
Hockey is the reason there's any Midco television deal.
Hockey earned and earns it and yes, had a big benefactor. 

You despise hockey, that much is clear. What is not is why. A player steal your girlfriend or something? 

But you are correct in one way: Where is football's "Cal Marvin" or "Ralph"? Since 1883, why hasn't that one appeared. 

• Upvote 1

Today?

You despise hockey, that much is clear. What is not is why. A player steal your girlfriend or something? 

But you are correct in one way: Where is football's "Cal Marvin" or "Ralph"? Since 1883, why hasn't that one appeared. 

has anyone called dr death or chippy?  

Today?

But what about the self-righteous hockey mogul from Las Vegas?  Do you think her family’s involvement has implications in the success you speak of, because it certainly does, and overlooking that is beyond a convenient way to navigate around controversy. 

And yes, UND football could desperately use a major benefactor right now to push it to the level of NDSU football. But waiting for this mysterious person to appear is going to likely take too long …

Lastly, no girlfriend issues, we shared. Hockey players were good guys. Sharing is caring. Earning my degrees from UND was a “fun” time, to say the least.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

But what about the self-righteous hockey mogul from Las Vegas? 

Quoting myself: " ... big benefactor ... " 

And it's not just hockey but certain people as well. Backpack or wheeled bag to carry that anti-anything-hockey grudge around? 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, The Sicatoka said:

Quoting myself: " ... big benefactor ... " 

And it's not just hockey but certain people as well. Backpack or wheeled bag to carry that anti-anything-hockey grudge around? 

Perhaps you should honestly consider a trial of anti-hockey baggage, because right now your quick dismissals aren’t giving you the opportunity to experience what you’ve been missing. 

2 hours ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Need a visionary, but it takes more than one person; need a group of special people looking out for UND football, despite hockey being the unfortunate centerpiece

Hockey is the big-time sports program at UND. don't see this changing. Some might say that UND hockey put Grand Forks on the Map. Hockey brings more notoriety to UND that football ever will. While I agree, football should be more of a priority at UND, it shouldn't come at the expense of hockey. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Goon said:

Hockey is the big-time sports program at UND. don't see this changing. Some might say that UND hockey put Grand Forks on the Map. Hockey brings more notoriety to UND that football ever will. While I agree, football should be more of a priority at UND, it shouldn't come at the expense of hockey. 

Hockey’s notoriety rides on the shoulders of a Vegas family. It will always be a challenge trying to sell a not-so-big-time sport as the big-time sport, but at least we can agree that football needs more prioritization. And I should clarify, the challenge will be (and has been) elevating the other sports, not hockey itself.

24 minutes ago, Dustin said:

Man, these football threads can get depressing.

I mean seriously…a Monday morning…is your whole week going to be like this? 

UND- FB-FAN, other than grossing me out about sharing women….are you seriously lacking something in your life? The negativity about UND actually hurts and insults me….like WOW. Have YOU ever considered applying for the head coach position?

5 minutes ago, Mama Sue said:

I mean seriously…a Monday morning…is your whole week going to be like this? 

UND- FB-FAN, other than grossing me out about sharing women….are you seriously lacking something in your life? The negativity about UND actually hurts and insults me….like WOW. Have YOU ever considered applying for the head coach position?

I apologize, but @The Sicatoka actually mentioned girlfriends as an attempted slight, and I just replied truthfully, albeit perhaps too truthfully. 

My career path took me down a path away from coaching, but never say never. With that said, my more likely contribution is as an ongoing alumni booster / donor, like most on this board.  

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

I apologize, but @The Sicatoka actually mentioned girlfriends as an attempted slight, and I just replied truthfully, albeit perhaps too truthfully. 

And I'm still trying to figure out how someone can have such vitriol against a sport that works for UND. 

Duke is hoop; Johns Hopkins is lax; Oral Roberts is baseball, UND is hockey. Que sera, sera, or should they all refocus on football? 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

And I'm still trying to figure out how someone can have such vitriol against a sport that works for UND. 

Duke is hoop; Johns Hopkins is lax; Oral Roberts is baseball, UND is hockey. Que sera, sera, or should they all refocus on football? 

The niche that is college hockey does not have a promising track record, particularly as the primarily funded sport. NCAA division one college basketball has significant viewership and revenue potential. Baseball, Lacrosse, and hockey all have their challenges (again, if considered as the #1). 

The proposed solution, as I understand this an important prerequisite for you, is less money for hockey and more for football. This seems like the more realistic option since it’s quite obvious hockey will never be replaced by football at the University of North Dakota (although this would be my second proposal since you like two).