SiouxSports.com Forum

Recruiting News?

siouxcool

I've seen him play. Let's put it in plain comparison: If you don't like Smaby's style, you won't like Dowzak. They are comparable in size. It didn't look like, when I saw him, he moved his feet all that effectively. However, he was (I think) a sophomore at SSM when I saw him play. A LOT can change in time. He sounds like a quality defenseman, but in the NCAA, height can be a blessing and a curse.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The kid can skate and has a wicked shot from the point. He is an excellent athlete and until he concentrated on hockey, was also an outstanding football player. I think either his dad or uncle may have played football for the gophers for awhile. Both his parents are big.

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Could someone please recap what the article was about or give us a link.  thanks

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The article mentioned that the Sioux are one of several teams recruiting Jared Boll of the Lincoln Stars. I think other teams mentioned were Wisconsin, UMD, and Bowling Green.

http://www.ushl.com/statistics/index.cfm

Boll is an 18 year-old 6'2"' 180 pound winger from Illinois. He leads Lincoln in goal-scoring (one behind the league leader) and leads the league in penalty minutes.

Here's a profile:

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article.php?s...hreaded&order=0

Wow, he's got a lot of PIM's for half-way through the season. We can use guys that can score goals. He's got a very favorable goal scoring percentage, scoring on about 17-18% of his shots. That's pretty good. I wonder how many he'd score if he was on the ice?

In checking the USHL stats archives, only very very quickly, it appears more penalty minutes are being handed out this season. That might account for some of this. Is the USHL also cracking down on obstruction like the NCAA's?

He's reminiscent of Mike Prpich who had outrageous PIM's in the BCHL. He's been successful in the WCHA, for the most part, but sometimes he'll take one at a bad time. I guess you have to look at the whole package. Prp has been a valuable addition, I believe. Hopefully Boll will know when he can and can't take a penalty. Love to have guys who play with an edge, however.

Sorry GDM. Didn't realize it would cause a problem. Here's a recap of the important information:

Forward Jared Boll (USHN December 10) appears to have narrowed his decision down to Bowling Green, North Dakota, Wisconsin and Minnesota-Duluth. He is currently tied for 10th in USHL scoring with 18 goals and 32 points. An '86 from Crystal Lake, Illinois, the 6-2/180 pound Boll also leads the league with 191 PIMs. Last season, Boll shared the league lead in that category with Sioux City's Dennis McCauley, both of whom had 176 PIMs.

Boll plays a very aggressive style of hockey that draws a lot of attention/ire of the referees, opposing team and opposing fans. He seems to thrive in those situations and also ends up taking the opposition out of their game. IMO, he sometimes goes a little overboard, but it's hard to not like the kid with the amount of energy he brings to the game. He scores a lot of "ugly" goals by taking the punishment front of the net, a lot like what Bochenski used to do, but he doesn't have Bochenski's skill.

Sorry GDM. Didn't realize it would cause a problem. Here's a recap of the important information:

Forward Jared Boll (USHN December 10) appears to have narrowed his decision down to Bowling Green, North Dakota, Wisconsin and Minnesota-Duluth. He is currently tied for 10th in USHL scoring with 18 goals and 32 points. An '86 from Crystal Lake, Illinois, the 6-2/180 pound Boll also leads the league with 191 PIMs. Last season, Boll shared the league lead in that category with Sioux City's Dennis McCauley, both of whom had 176 PIMs.

Boll plays a very aggressive style of hockey that draws a lot of attention/ire of the referees, opposing team and opposing fans. He seems to thrive in those situations and also ends up taking the opposition out of their game. IMO, he sometimes goes a little overboard, but it's hard to not like the kid with the amount of energy he brings to the game. He scores a lot of "ugly" goals by taking the punishment front of the net, a lot like what Bochenski used to do, but he doesn't have Bochenski's skill.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

He sounds like a relative of mine :huh:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I say we sign him, he sounds like a Prpich clone. We need a few players like him.

I think we have too many pretty boys on the team we need a few to go into the corners and hit.

I say we sign him, he sounds like a Prpich clone. We need a few players like him.

I think we have too many pretty boys on the team we need a few to go into the corners and hit.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I like Corey Loos for the same reason. I think he definitely needs a year in the USHL though.

A quibble with Goon though..we have guys who will go into the corner and hit. We need a few more who will go to the net, take some abuse, and have the moxy to get the puck in the net.

I like Corey Loos for the same reason. I think he definitely needs a year in the USHL though.

A quibble with Goon though..we have guys who will go into the corner and hit. We need a few more who will go to the net, take some abuse, and have the moxy to get the puck in the net.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree, but this team also needs some speed. The problem with this team is that we have gotten too big and too slow. We look like Denver, Wisconsin and UMD of about 5 years ago. If you look at CC and Minnesota, they are getting smaller and faster. Those were the types of teams that the Sioux won with from 1996-2001. The name of the college game, as opposed to the pro game, is speed, puck control and passing. That is why guys like David Hoogsteen, Jason Blake, Curtis Murphy and Jeff Panzer thrived. Those skills thrive even more now with all of the WCHA teams with Olympic size ice.

but this team also needs some speed. The problem with this team is that we have gotten too big and too slow.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think we got bigger because of the all the clutching and grabbing that was going on. I think this why we have these skating line backers on the defense. Your right we need some speed too. Sounds like some of the guys coming next season can fly.

I agree, but this team also needs some speed. The problem with this team is that we have gotten too big and too slow. We look like Denver, Wisconsin and UMD of about 5 years ago. If you look at CC and Minnesota, they are getting smaller and faster. Those were the types of teams that the Sioux won with from 1996-2001. The name of the college game, as opposed to the pro game, is speed, puck control and passing. That is why guys like David Hoogsteen, Jason Blake, Curtis Murphy and Jeff Panzer thrived. Those skills thrive even more now with all of the WCHA teams with Olympic size ice.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Blaiser was forced to go with bigger players because of the way the ref's were calling the games. As each year passed and the Sioux racked up year after year of WCHA championships and NCAA national championships, teams were allowed to hook, clutch, grab and ride on the backs of UND's small speedsters. So Blaiser had no choice but to build a bigger team to try and fight through all of that. Now, it appears that we're getting back to a game that smaller speedsters like Spirko can thrive in. Matt Watkins is another player who will add a tremendous amount of speed to the line-up. Hopefully the league will keep calling the obstruction if we make the transition back to the small, fast guys.

Blaiser didn't want an Olympic size rink because his teams were built around speed, skilled passing and a quick transition from defense to offense. Once the game was allowed to be changed, that type of team was less effective on the small surface.

Blaiser didn't want an Olympic size rink because his teams were built around speed, skilled passing and a quick transition from defense to offense.  Once the game was allowed to be changed, that type of team was less effective on the small surface.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

And the fact NHL clubs do not use Olympic-size rinks, and the NHL is the end goal for most of our recruits ... unlike some programs' recruits. :huh::0

Blaiser was forced to go with bigger players because of the way the ref's were calling the games.  As each year passed and the Sioux racked up year after year of WCHA championships and NCAA national championships, teams were allowed to hook, clutch, grab and ride on the backs of UND's small speedsters.  So Blaiser had no choice but to build a bigger team to try and fight through all of that.  Now, it appears that we're getting back to a game that smaller speedsters like Spirko can thrive in.  Matt Watkins is another player who will add a tremendous amount of speed to the line-up.  Hopefully the league will keep calling the obstruction if we  make the transition back to the small, fast guys. 

That is the way I see it also. Blais got sick of the skilled players getting mugged so he recruited some muscle. Know the skill players are being allowed to play their game again. Although the reffing has been far consistent this year.

The Sioux still need some role players on the team. I would take a player like Cory who plays in the corners and gets rebounds, but I suppose I'm biased.

jloos, The best of those guys (Goren, G. Potulny) are like gold. If you can find the right ones, you should definitely bring them along. The question for me is which of the guys are the right one or ones. For instance, it could be tough to take Loos if you could get a guy like Boll, who is scoring well in the USHL. Then again, maybe with a year in the USHL Loos could prove to be as good or better. I've never seen Boll and barely seen Loos, so I have no idea.

I guess it is a question whether you prefer the old "Canadian" game of physical play or the European style of skating and passing. I much prefer the European style. You brought up the NHL, which should go to the larger ice surface. I would rather watch Europeans like Federov, Larionov, Forsberg, Jagr free wheel than Tie Domi, Marty McSorley and the Flyers/Maple Leafs style of beat the crap out of the opposition hockey any day.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I like Canadian traditional NHL hockey. I think there are too many Russians and Europeans in the NHL. I read some where that Euros might be less apt to come to the NHL if their cost certainy. I am fine with that. I guess I like Don Cherry Rock and Sock em hockey.

The most boring thing in the world to watch is two poorly-skilled teams on Olympic ice.

The next most was the first 54:00 of last year's National Championship game (DU v. Maine).

Call the obstruction (teams will adjust) and North American ice is a faster game.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

And I agree with you. :huh: My point was that it appears the Sioux have addressed the speed/skill issue in their recruiting. The forwards and defensemen coming in the next two years all fit the bill. I'm thinking they need to add a banger or two as complementary players.