SiouxSports.com Forum

Recruiting News?

siouxcool

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anybody subscribe to US Hockey Report [uSHR]? There is a news flash there that Toews Opts for NCAA Route 01/01/05

Was wondering if anybody has read the article?

Always Sioux.....

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Subscription?

Meanwhile Heisenberg has put him on the Sioux recruit list, as of yesterday. :silly: (guessing that's what the article says).

http://members.aol.com/cheisenber/Recruit05.htm

With Kessel possibly leaning to the Gophers, it's nice to see Toews going to the Sioux.

Has Kessel said anything about Minnesota?  Was he ever interested in UND?  He had a nice game last night!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

UND was on Kessel's list when he came to WJ evaluation camp, but it may have just been the writer placing him there (not Kessel himself). Mich and MN are the likely finalists, the video here (3 Burning Questions) sounds like scouts would like him to choose MN over Wisco, no mention of Mich.

WOW! It's nice to get Toews to come to UND!

Kessel is, from what I've heard, heading to Minny or UW. Michigan is now a distant third. I guess if you want to put words in his mouth, you can say UND ranks fourth :silly:

Yeah he did have a good game yesterday. I was really impressed with his second goal as far as placement of the shot was concerned. Yeah, it was a good move too. ;)

Why a guy like Kessel who is likely to be a two year player at most would even consider the CCHA is beyond me. I'm in the minority of Gopher fans who thinks he will likely end up going with the hometown team. I sure hope I'm wrong.

Good news for the Sioux on getting another Shattuck player.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's obvious that Kessel has some amazing talent. But it's that two year thing that hurts. I just don't see him staying and when players leave early there is always damage done to a programs' chances.

If Toews is taking the NCAA route, would that mean he's a little more likely to stick around for a few years? I believe people were saying his parents want him to get an education.

p-p-p lease.. it seems that whenever you heard that a hockey player's parents want him to get an education they end up bolting after 2-3 years. It is never too late to get an education.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Normally I'd agree, but he is already turning down major juniors. Plus, I could have sworn that someone said both his parents are teachers.

Subscription?

Meanwhile Heisenberg has put him on the Sioux recruit list, as of yesterday. :silly: (guessing that's what the article says).

http://members.aol.com/cheisenber/Recruit05.htm

With Kessel possibly leaning to the Gophers, it's nice to see Toews going to the Sioux.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Now if Kessel can choose anyone but the Goofers, the Sioux should be able to compete in the league even with what will be a very young team, especially on the blue line. The world junior tournament was just way too skilled compared to the Minnesota high school league for Lee to adjust in that short of time. Hopefully he gained some things from participating despite the lack of PT.

Now if Kessel can choose anyone but the Goofers, the Sioux should be able to compete in the league even with what will be a very young team, especially on the blue line. The world junior tournament was just way too skilled compared to the Minnesota high school league for Lee to adjust in that short of time. Hopefully he gained some things from participating despite the lack of PT.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The Sioux will be right in the thick of things (as will the Gophers) whether or not the Gophers get Kessel for a season or two. The '01-'02 Sioux is a rare exception for the Sioux program. I expect programs like UND and UM to be NCAA tourney qualifiers a minimum of 9 of 10 years. Special recruits come and go, but the programs recruit so well there usually won't be too much of a dip.

The Sioux will be right in the thick of things (as will the Gophers) whether or not the Gophers get Kessel for a season or two. The '01-'02 Sioux is a rare exception for the Sioux program. I expect programs like UND and UM to be NCAA tourney qualifiers a minimum of 9 of 10 years. Special recruits come and go, but the programs recruit so well there usually won't be too much of a dip.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Although next year's Sioux class appears to be very good, it is also very large, with the D being replaced in its entirety for the most part. They could do better than the 01-02 Sioux, but it's shaping up much the same. Keep hoping one of these classes doesn't miss a beat from juniors to college frosh, like the class of 81/82, but that doesn't seem to be happening for anyone in college hockey.

The Sioux must improve in the second half and win this year, or it may be a couple or so until they are back in the mix.

Although next year's Sioux class appears to be very good, it is also very large, with the D being replaced in its entirety for the most part. They could do better than the 01-02 Sioux, but it's shaping up much the same. Keep hoping one of these classes doesn't miss a beat from juniors to college frosh, like the class of 81/82, but that doesn't seem to be happening for anyone in college hockey.

The Sioux must improve in the second half and win this year, or it may be a couple or so until they are back in the mix.

I strongly disagree. Sure, it is highly unlikely they will be the number 1 team in the nation but this WILL NOT be a 2001-2002 repeat. If you remember, extremely subpar goaltending (Kollar and Siembida were BAD), BAD play by current senior defensemen ,and lack of contribution from freshman forwards (bochenski is really the only forward who contributed, massen had a decent year for a frosh, and fournier was a huge flop) all contributed to the disaster that was the 2001-2002 season. UND had one line and the rest were pretty worthless.

I think Sprig's saying he hopes the same thing doesn't happen next year.

It is a large class. On paper the class appears to be better than the 01-02 class. Whether that shows on the ice next year or not I don't know. We can't afford to have a Fournier-type flop in the mix, however. Our 3 freshmen defensemen played fairly solidly back then, and with some luck next year we'll still be fairly solid at D. MN this year is proof positive that 3 freshmen defenders don't have to be a liability. 01-02 showed that too. Hopefully next year's D will be as good. If so, we'll have decent D and good goaltending. Then we'll need the Forwards to step up. I think we have a better stocked cupboard in that dept than we did in 01-02.

I don't expect next year to be as rough as 01-02. I don't expect to win the league either. We'll see how it shakes out.

I don't expect next year to be as rough as 01-02.  I don't expect to win the league either.  We'll see how it shakes out.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Also, the '01-'02 Sioux really weren't as bad as we are remembering them. Had they managed to hold two of the three third period leads they blew against the Gophers they would have had a winning record and likely would have qualified for the NCAAs like SCSU did the following year.

I don't remember many other teams playing the Gophers tougher than the Sioux that year, of course the Gophers playing them seven times that year may have had something to do with it.