SiouxSports.com Forum

Recruiting News?

siouxcool

At what point would Towes make a commitment with more weight than a verbal.

When is the next round of signings for letters of intent?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I assume that he could wait right up until the University's Student Application deadline if he wanted to but maybe someone knows differently?

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

09 Jonathan Toews Forward 12 4-29-88 6'1" 180 Winnipeg, MB 35 26 32 58 26

10 Michael Gergen Forward 12 2-17-87 5'11" 185 Hastings, MN 39 29 29 58 66

Don't forget that Gergen is more than a year older than Toews.

And he has played in four more games than Toews because Jonathan was at the U17 tourney a few weeks ago. Looks like Gergen has a bit of a mean streak too, as he has 66 PIM compared to Toews' 26.

The younger Toewes is also leading the Tier I bantam team in scoring 89 points in 39 games.

The Lam. girls are 1 and 3 in scoring now, which is very impressive when you consider they are much younger than most of the girls on the team. They could really jumpstart the womens hockey program should they decide to play at UND.

At what point would Towes make a commitment with more weight than a verbal.

When is the next round of signings for letters of intent?

A verbal is worth all the paper it's written on.

The next signing period for National Letters of Intent begins on the Wednesday after the Frozen Four and runs through the summer.

It's not over till it's over, but today's GFH has a pretty definitive account of Toews' commitment:

http://www.grandforks.com/mld/grandforks/sports/10631832.htm

Tom Ward, head coach of the Shattuck-St. Mary's Prep School in Faribault, Minn., where Toews plays, confirmed that Toews had chosen UND.

"It all went down last night (Tuesday)," Ward said. "The family called the Tri-City Americans (of the Western Hockey League), and then Jonathan called Coach Hakstol."

A verbal is worth all the paper it's written on.

The next signing period for National Letters of Intent begins on the Wednesday after the Frozen Four and runs through the summer.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Just curious, when was the last time a significant recruit backed out of a verbal to UND?

It's not over till it's over, but today's GFH has a pretty definitive account of Toews' commitment:

http://www.grandforks.com/mld/grandforks/sports/10631832.htm

Tom Ward, head coach of the Shattuck-St. Mary's Prep School in Faribault, Minn., where Toews plays, confirmed that Toews had chosen UND.

"It all went down last night (Tuesday)," Ward said. "The family called the Tri-City Americans (of the Western Hockey League), and then Jonathan called Coach Hakstol."

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Nice to read after the Canadian article.

And, although verbals are not solid commitments, they almost always become signings, only rarely does a kid back out of verbal. Don't remember past Sioux verbals changing their minds, although it has probably happened.

Most recent changed verbal I can remember is Hagemo verballing to Wisco, then signing with the Gophers. For Gopher fans that's probably as entertaining (or more so) than beating Wisco on the ice.

Isn't there a story about Chelios verballing to Gino, then going to WI?

And I thought maybe Kobesew or Kolonos had verballed to Blais and then went to BC.  I'm not really sure about this though.  Anyone?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Believe the story on Chelios was, when visiting UND, that he told Gino he was taking one more visit (to Wisco) before making his decision, Gino told him if you can't pick ND right now, then you may as well go to Wisco.

Seem to remember that Kobesew was down to UND and BC, don't remember seeing a verbal. There are a whole lot more rumours available since Gore's invention.

This would be a big boost for next year's team if he actually signs which based on the information I have read he will. He is going to be a big time player and we will have some very good forwards next year. Remember the regional is in GF next year so assuming the Sioux get in they will play at home to get to the frozen four just like the Goofers will this year. My biggest worry next year is on D, we will be awfully raw back there.

Not sure a signed letter is any better than a verbal in this case since it appears that if he doesn't go to UND he would go major junior. In that case the LOI wouldn't stop a player from leaving. There are a few players every year that leave college programs for major junior.

Welcome to the Sioux, Jonathan!

Just curious, when was the last time a significant recruit backed out of a verbal to UND?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This morning on 1440 Swyg mentioned that Ed Olczyk had signed/looked at/verballed to UND -- can anyone remember that? it would have been over 20 years ago now -- reason it was brought up was because the guest host with Swyg mentioned that Olczyk, coach of Pitts Pens, recently mentioned that with his free time he's been coaching his son's team, and one of the parents told Olczyk that he needed to make some changes in his coaching/game plan. :glare:

Isn't there a story about Chelios verballing to Gino, then going to WI?

And I thought maybe Kobesew or Kolonos had verballed to Blais and then went to BC.  I'm not really sure about this though.  Anyone?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I guess I should have read more posts before I replied. Dagies beat me to it.

I don't believe Kobesew and Kolonos gave verbals. It came down to BC and UND and they both chose BC.

Chelios had verballed to Gino and then several weeks later he decided he would still take his recruiting trip to UW. Gino didn't like this and told him he might be better off at UW and suggested he should go there instead. Gino felt you had to bleed green to play for the Sioux, so when Chelios decided he was going on another trip, Gino decide he didn't bleed green.

Everybody  should be talking about how lucky we are to get a kid like this to give a verbal,he is one hell of a player so lets start talking about how much fun its going tobe to watch him play at UND.And give alot of credit to the coaching staff for getting him to give a verbal.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You mean give credit to that chump Hakstol for bringing in a top-of-the-line recruit. Haven't you heard, he doesn't have what it takes to be successful at this level and certainly can't be given credit for Toews! ???:glare: