SiouxSports.com Forum

Recruiting News?

siouxcool

• Replies 269
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow. All this negativity on Matt Smaby.

That's ok. I honestly love being behind the guy because that puts me eventually on the better side to be on. I'm not going to say he stinks until Hakstol and the rest of the team makes that decision. In fact, I like Matt. He's young, but he's definitely got talent. I think he'll be ok.

Don't know much about Foyt's defensive abilities, most of the time I've watched him, he's been playing forward.

As for Bina, he got burned once this year so far, but otherwise has played fairly well.

Yes, I do believe that next year will be no different than this year, with lots of shots reaching our goaltenders but we will not have the worst defense by a LONG LONG shot.

Slam away at Smaby. I still have faith in the guy.

Wow.  All this negativity on Matt Smaby. 

That's ok.  I honestly love being behind the guy because that puts me eventually on the better side to be on.  I'm not going to say he stinks until Hakstol and the rest of the team makes that decision.  In fact, I like Matt.  He's young, but he's definitely got talent.  I think he'll be ok.

Don't know much about Foyt's defensive abilities, most of the time I've watched him, he's been playing forward. 

As for Bina, he got burned once this year so far, but otherwise has played fairly well.

Yes, I do believe that next year will be no different than this year, with lots of shots reaching our goaltenders but we will not have the worst defense by a LONG LONG shot.

Slam away at Smaby.  I still have faith in the guy.

Smaby's going to be just fine. He's still just a sophomore, and defense is a difficult position to learn. He's physical and skates well. With experience he'll put it all together.

I agree

Matt Smaby reminds me alot of Matt Greene as a young player. Matt Greene would have to be one of the best defensive D-men I've seen play at UND.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Careful. At times I think half of those who visit here would disagree. I think the Anti-Greene fan club is nearly as big as the Greene fan club.

Me? Just like Matt Smaby, I like Matt Greene. I STILL think that Matt Jones is our best defenseman.

I'm not going to go into Greene and why I like him because I think that topic has already been exhausted in other threads.

If we are looking for another forward, why not that Jaroslav Markovic on Tri City? He is Spirko's friend and he played for Team Czech Republic this year and he seemed to know what he was doing. He's not that big (roster lists him at 5'11").

Edit: Markovic is even tied for first on Tri City in points scored. He is 11-14-25 in 29 games. He is 2nd in the team in goals and 3rd in the team in assists. He is tied for 3rd in PPGs and first on the team in SHG.

Edit times2: Ok, going over the USHL states page and a lot of the top scorers have already committed to college, but there are two that pop up who aren't taken yet among forwards: Corey Elkins of Sioux City (good numbers but he'd be coming in as a 20 year old freshman) and Brian Bales (who is also an '85 birthdate like Elkins... he's from Alaska too which begs the question why UAA isn't recruiting this guy.) Among defensemen, let's see.... Joe Charlesbois of Sioux City (he's from NY so if he does get to DI me thinks it will be out east) and a Latvian named Aleksandrs Jerofijevs

Edited by redwing77

Careful. At times I think half of those who visit here would disagree. I think the Anti-Greene fan club is nearly as big as the Greene fan club.

Me? Just like Matt Smaby, I like Matt Greene. I STILL think that Matt Jones is our best defenseman.

I'm not going to go into Greene and why I like him because I think that topic has already been exhausted in other threads.

If we are looking for another forward, why not that Jaroslav Markovic on Tri City? He is Spirko's friend and he played for Team Czech Republic this year and he seemed to know what he was doing. He's not that big (roster lists him at 5'11").

Edit: Markovic is even tied for first on Tri City in points scored. He is 11-14-25 in 29 games. He is 2nd in the team in goals and 3rd in the team in assists. He is tied for 3rd in PPGs and first on the team in SHG.

Edit times2: Ok, going over the USHL states page and a lot of the top scorers have already committed to college, but there are two that pop up who aren't taken yet among forwards: Corey Elkins of Sioux City (good numbers but he'd be coming in as a 20 year old freshman) and Brian Bales (who is also an '85 birthdate like Elkins... he's from Alaska too which begs the question why UAA isn't recruiting this guy.) Among defensemen, let's see.... Joe Charlesbois of Sioux City (he's from NY so if he does get to DI me thinks it will be out east) and a Latvian named Aleksandrs Jerofijevs

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Maybe Alaska is recruiting that guy? Who knows. As far as Markovic, I can't comment on his play because I didn't catch a CR game, but I read an article that praised the Czech players playing in the USHL. My guess is if he is in the USHL system and a leading point scorer on his club than most coaches/scouts would be aware of him. Toews, Duncan, and Kozek will be quite the trio of forwards to bring in. If Stafford hangs around another year the Sioux will have a very agressive group up front. I like the way things are shaping up with the team, reminds me of the smaller teams Blaiser won championships with.

Maybe Alaska is recruiting that guy? Who knows. As far as Markovic, I can't comment on his play because I didn't catch a CR game, but I read an article that praised the Czech players playing in the USHL. My guess is if he is in the USHL system and a leading point scorer on his club than most coaches/scouts would be aware of him. Toews, Duncan, and Kozek will be quite the trio of forwards to bring in. If Stafford hangs around another year the Sioux will have a very agressive group up front. I like the way things are shaping up with the team, reminds me of the smaller teams Blaiser won championships with.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree. With next years class coming in, I am very optimistic. Young and fast and very skilled! They will be just fine. On the other hand, this year is notover yet. I think the Sioux will be fine. Shore up the defense a little, take two from Mankato,

then sweep CC. They can do it. The Sioux have always been sucessful at CC.

THey can do it! GO SIOUX!

Scouting artile from Hockey's Future.

Overshadowed by the World Juniors was the Under-17 tournament held in Lethbridge, Alberta. A showcase for the 2006 and 2007 draft prospects, a number of players served notice that they will be major factors. Heading the group was Jonathan Toews.

The tourney

Picked this up from the Tri-City board:

Published in the Kamloops Daily News by Sports Editor Gregg Drinnan.

Contrary to rumours that have been making the rounds, Andree Gilbert says that her son, centre Jonathan Toews, 16, has not made any commitments pertaining to his hockey future.

Toews, a Winnipegger who was selected first overall by the Tri-City Americans in the WHL's 2003 bantam draft, plays for the top team at Shattuck-St. Mary's, a prep school in Faribault, Minn. Earlier this week, Toews led Team Western to the gold medal at the World Under-17 Hockey Challenge in Lethbridge.

It was during that tournament that reports surfaced claiming that the 6-foot-1, 180-pound Toews, who is seen by some hockey people as the brightest young Canadian forward this side of Sidney Crosby, had given a verbal commitment to the U of North Dakota Fighting Sioux.

Not so, says his mother, the director of operations for the Festival du Voyageur, a huge winter carnival in St. Boniface, Man.

"We haven't committed," Gilbert said Thursday. "We are still looking at both options. We wanted to go through this tournament; we didn't want to bother Jonathan before that. Now that the tournament is over we'll let him go back to school and rest a bit."

Gilbert said she and her husband, Bryan Toews, an electrician at the U of Manitoba, will sit down with Pat Brisson, a player agent who is serving as the family's advisor, later this month "to look at all the options and analyse it ... but for sure (Jonathan) is looking at both options, UND and Tri-City. It is a very, very tough decision for us."

Gilbert said that when Toews was drafted by Tri-City GM Bob Tory, she was positive her son would play for the Americans.

"We didn't know anything about this," she said. "When Jonathan was drafted, we said, "For sure he's going to go to the team that drafted him." Now we see something else and we feel really guilty about it. If we had known what we know now we would have told Tri-City not to draft him so high."

It was after being drafted that Toews headed for the hockey factory of Shattuck-St. Mary's.

"Both options have such good points. We're just totally torn," Gilbert said. "Sometimes I kind of wish ... things were so different before he went to Shattuck ... he knew he was going to go to Tri-City. But now that we've seen something else and we really like some of the things at UND, but ..."

Gilbert admitted the one thing in Tri-City's favour is her son's desire to play in the Memorial Cup and for Canada's national junior team.

"Jonathan is such a Canadian. His previous coach used to say he probably has a Canadian flag tattooed on his butt," she said.

If Toews goes to UND, the Memorial Cup is out of reach. And there is a move afoot among CHL teams to recommend to Hockey Canada that NCAA players not be permitted to play for Canada's national junior team. Gilbert admitted her family noticed there weren't any U.S. collegians on this season's Baby Nats.

"We really like UND. It's two hours from our place," she said of the school that is located in Grand Forks, N.D. "Everyone who saw the (World Junior Championship) knows how fantastic the place is."

But, she added, her family has also been to Kennewick, Wash., home of the Americans, and "it's the same thing. The organization is outstanding. To have Bob Tory there, I know Jonathan would be so looked after. He is such a wonderful person; we think the world of him."

"It is such a tough decision. Some days Bryan and I think (Jonathan) should go to Tri-City. Some other days, we think UND."

The family may be faced with this same situation again. Another son, David, is a 5-foot-10, 170-pound forward on Shattuck-St. Mary's bantam Tier I team. He is eligible for the WHL's 2005 bantam draft.

"It will be very different with him. We have learned a lot," Gilbert said.

She said they already have heard from scouts, one of whom said David has a chance to be a top-five pick "if Jonathan goes to the (WHL)." If Jonathan ends up at UND, she said, the scout told her David "would probably drop to the fifth round."

"David said, "That's fine with me," " Gilbert said.

She added that the family will deal with David's situation in time. For now, a decision has to be made on Jonathan's future.

"Now we have to deal with it and one decision or another ... it doesn't matter what he does we're going to get criticized," Gilbert said. "(The decision will be made) in the next few weeks ... this has been really painful for everybody."

I think in many recruits families the parents are part of the decision. I don't think her comments are all that concerning.

As for the following quote, I was criticized for alluding to something similar regarding NCAA players:

Gilbert admitted the one thing in Tri-City's favour is her son's desire to play in the Memorial Cup and for Canada's national junior team.

"Jonathan is such a Canadian. His previous coach used to say he probably has a Canadian flag tattooed on his butt," she said.

If Toews goes to UND, the Memorial Cup is out of reach. And there is a move afoot among CHL teams to recommend to Hockey Canada that NCAA players not be permitted to play for Canada's national junior team. Gilbert admitted her family noticed there weren't any U.S. collegians on this season's Baby Nats.

She said they already have heard from scouts, one of whom said David has a chance to be a top-five pick "if Jonathan goes to the (WHL)." If Jonathan ends up at UND, she said, the scout told her David "would probably drop to the fifth round."

Sounds like the Canadian hockey honchos are "putting the arm" on the family. However, I think the fact that UND is still in the mix, compared to earlier stories bodes well for us. Then again, until he shows up on campus, it's still a crap shoot.

It almost looks like we can cross this kid off the list? Just a hunch.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

couldn't agree with you more.....the tone of that article really didn't sit well with me.

the could news was i didn't know that andree was going to lace up the skates :silly:

"We haven't committed," Gilbert said Thursday. "We are still looking at both options. We wanted to go through this tournament;

If Hockey Canada makes it so NCAA players aren't allowed to play in the WJC, they should be absolutely ashamed of themselves. That would be beyond ridiculous. I doubt it will happen though.

Could the tone of the article be because the writer wants Toews to go to Tri-City, therefore he puts a slant on it?

Picked this up from the Tri-City board:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This doesn't look good. The kid's "advisor" is a heavy-hitter who represents many NHL stars --and Sidney Crosby.

Most of us know that verbal commitments are not binding. What bothers me about this situation is that there has been many articles in the online press about a "commitment" that may never have occurred. It looks to me like the USHR story was probably the primary source for many other reports (including Heisenberg?). USHR never gave a source or any indication that they had actually contacted Toews about his commitment. I really hope no one associated with UND had anything to do with leaking this story to USHR.

This could be just the start of the circus. If he ever actually shows up at UND he will probably draw attention even greater than what Zach Parise received. He would probably play for a maximum of two years and leave the program before he turns 19. There's a part of me that wonders if it is really worth it..

Even though it would clearly help UND, I hope this kid comes to UND and excels.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's beginning to turn into a Major Junior vs NCAA thing, rather than a Tri City vs. UND thing.

I think this whole ordeal is ridiculous. Major Juniors is considered the "fast track" to the NHL by many because most GMs in the NHL are Canadian and know the Canadian leagues much better. There is no NHL right now and the fact that Toews could earn an education while playing hockey in the best facilities in the world gains more weight in the argument during this lockout. As far as his draft status goes, its ridiculous to say that going to UND would change that. Look at all the first round picks that have come out of the NCAA in the last couple of years:

Parise, Stafford, Vanek, Suter, Montoya, Thelan, Zajac, Kesler, Jessiman, Tambellini C. Schnieder, etc.

And players like Ryan Kessel, Brian Lee, and Jack Johnson, who will come in the same class as Toews, will be first rounders as well. UND itself has had THREE first round picks in the last 2 drafts (2 of which came from shattuck). It is ludicrus to declare that going to UND would hurt his draft status.

I said a long time ago during all this Kessel hype that IMO Toews would be a better pickup for the Sioux. That said, I really really hope he chooses UND.

Wonder why the much discussed espn article critisizing USA Hockey's organization and comparing it to the much better Canadian organization didn't mention these Canadian methods:

1. Threaten Canadian kids and their families with barring them from future junior international competition (should the kid choose the NCAA route).

2. Threaten that the CHL will drop family member draft status.

3. Barring US born players from the CHL.

Canada sees the gap closing between Canadian and US hockey, as US teams that were competitive only occasionally at the international level now compete every year. By closing their borders to young players going in either direction, Canada will hasten the end of the hockey dominance they still enjoy.

Jonathan and family will be welcomed to the Sioux should he come, but I hope he and family aren't ripped by the fans and press down here should he choose the MJ route. They are getting plenty of that from their own country right now.

Maybe someone from the Tri-City Americans or the league is just creating these rumors to get the kid to change his mind. For one It doesn't make sense to change the content of US players in major junior when US based teams have been added to both the Ontario and Western branches of the league. Futhermore, the Toews are nothing like the Lindros family. They are thinking about the development of their kids, not their Pro career. The likelihood of little brother being drafted by the same junior team is very remote. Therefore, I maintain that UND is the best fit because it is the only way they can play together and be closer to home. I still think UND has the best shot at landing both brothers.