SiouxSports.com Forum

2023-24 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

AlphaMikeFoxtrot

On 5/5/2023 at 11:06 PM, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

Poaching Pohlkamp?

No. Poaching. 
No. Tampering. 
Do unto others as you would have ...

I see good options in the portal (and pipeline).

I can't figure out what they are looking for in an 8D. Are they looking for a "suit". Are they looking for insurance if Zmolek's hip isn't right? Are they looking "rental" (one year) or investment.

About all I can say about 8D is it's more important to finalize than a theoretical 16F. 

16 hours ago, BusinessSiouxt said:

Read my post again, s.l.o.w.l.y. It’s about the kid and his state of mind and actions. Says nothing about anything else. The additional words are supportive of the argument ‘buddy’…

You're misinterpreting what I'm saying, that's cool. Not worth losing sleep over, have a good one

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, scpa0305 said:

I know right. I’ve heard he’s locked into BSU though. Tough because a kid like that should be playing with a bigger program with more exposure. He’s good.

I don't know that he needs exposure, as I am certain everyone knows about him.  Brad Hunt and Zach Whitecloud made out o.k. playing at Bemidji State.  I actually think it is refreshing if he keeps his commitment to BSU. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

No. Poaching. 
No. Tampering. 
Do unto others as you would have ...

I see good options in the portal (and pipeline).

I can't figure out what they are looking for in an 8D. Are they looking for a "suit". Are they looking for insurance if Zmolek's hip isn't right? Are they looking "rental" (one year) or investment.

About all I can say about 8D is it's more important to finalize than a theoretical 16F. 

I believe the deadline is 5/18. So players can still enter. 

11 minutes ago, tnt said:

I don't know that he needs exposure, as I am certain everyone knows about him.  Brad Hunt and Zach Whitecloud made out o.k. playing at Bemidji State.  I actually think it is refreshing if he keeps his commitment to BSU. 

I’m just saying he’d get more exposure at Und (or any other big school) and would be playing with more talent. Which can be fairly important.

But you are correct, it has been done before.

7 minutes ago, skateshattrick said:

I personally would like to see Andrew Strathmann come in, mostly because I don't want UND to take another chance of a recruit flipping his commitment.  

If he's okay with going to Juniors another year, what's the harm? Others have posted here that he's said he's cool with another year of Juniors. 

5 minutes ago, skateshattrick said:

I personally would like to see Andrew Strathmann come in, mostly because I don't want UND to take another chance of a recruit flipping his commitment.  

People have posted that he seems 100% committed to UND regardless of if he comes in or not this year.
So I'm hoping that is the case.

• Upvote 2

25 minutes ago, skateshattrick said:

Schloss sees some serious minute eaters (Pyke, Pehrson). That leaves four slots.
Figure Zmolek is one. That leaves three. 
Based on age and accolades, Wiebe. Now two for Benoit, Livanavage, and Komzak. (And that's just seven D.) 

Strathmann creates a log jam for minutes.
If he's talking a USHL season to focus on defense and come in 2024, yes please. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Schloss sees some serious minute eaters (Pyke, Pehrson). That leaves four slots.
Figure Zmolek is one. That leaves three. 
Based on age and accolades, Wiebe. Now two for Benoit, Livanavage, and Komzak. (And that's just seven D.) 

Strathmann creates a log jam for minutes.
If he's talking a USHL season to focus on defense and come in 2024, yes please. 

I agree as long as what he is saying is accurate. I recall that Rizzo initially said he was okay waiting another year, but then waited another year, decommitted and went to Denver. Morrow didn't like the coaches telling him to play a year in the USHL and neither did Stephen Halliday. As long as Strathmann is okay with it and it is his decision, it makes sense. I just really don't like losing high end recruits. 

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, skateshattrick said:

I agree as long as what he is saying is accurate. I recall that Rizzo initially said he was okay waiting another year, but then waited another year, decommitted and went to Denver. Morrow didn't like the coaches telling him to play a year in the USHL and neither did Stephen Halliday. As long as Strathmann is okay with it and it is his decision, it makes sense. I just really don't like losing high end recruits. 

If the season doesn’t go great next year and Strathmann is playing ushl, I’d be a bit concerned that he flips to UM or MSU (home state/B10). Based on what he’s doing in the USHL, he comes across as very ready for the next step. If his team wins it all and he’s logging these huge minutes. Id say bring him in to be safe. 

But as others have mentioned, going back to juniors would not hurt him, he was a bit streaky at times. Could work on his D game more I suppose. His +\- has always been solid bit that metric can have its flaws when assessing players D. I mean…Sam Rinzel played juniors this year and was a 1st rounder. Situation was vastly different however.

18 hours ago, skateshattrick said:

13 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

If the season doesn’t go great next year and Strathmann is playing ushl, I’d be a bit concerned that he flips to UM or MSU (home state/B10). Based on what he’s doing in the USHL, he comes across as very ready for the next step. If his team wins it all and he’s logging these huge minutes. Id say bring him in to be safe. 

But as others have mentioned, going back to juniors would not hurt him, he was a bit streaky at times. Could work on his D game more I suppose. His +\- has always been solid bit that metric can have its flaws when assessing players D. I mean…Sam Rinzel played juniors this year and was a 1st rounder. Situation was vastly different however.

He's the one who wants to stay. He believes he's not ready. UND agrees it's smart he's doing this planning.

17 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

Isn't he from suburban Chicago?

9 minutes ago, scpa0305 said:

Yes you have mentioned that before to me.

Exactly, so I just don't understand why he would listen to you, or anyone else for that matter, as he makes the decision. He and the staff are on the same page. I understand there's some precedence, but those previous two situations seem very different than this one.

This isn't a shot at you, in the least bit. It's just a confusing conversation. He doesn't think he's ready, his advisors don't think he's ready, and UND is completely fine with him staying another year.

He comes in this season, he's in a suit nearly every weekend, burning a year he'd be here. Another year of seasoning and he comes here next year with plenty of ice time opportunities

1 hour ago, stoneySIOUX said:

Exactly, so I just don't understand why he would listen to you, or anyone else for that matter, as he makes the decision. He and the staff are on the same page. I understand there's some precedence, but those previous two situations seem very different than this one.

This isn't a shot at you, in the least bit. It's just a confusing conversation. He doesn't think he's ready, his advisors don't think he's ready, and UND is completely fine with him staying another year.

He comes in this season, he's in a suit nearly every weekend, burning a year he'd be here. Another year of seasoning and he comes here next year with plenty of ice time opportunities

This is a forum where folks give their opinions on all things Sioux hockey. I was simply responding to a poster that I somewhat agreed with (re. the (minor) concern of him choosing to go back to juniors to play games 120-170). When you post regarding the fact you (and others) don’t think he’s ready I never respond, unless I am tagged.

He’s the top dman on clearly one of the top ushl teams (best junior league in NA) and he’s just wrapping up two years at that level while playing 100+ games.  My only point is that I do not agree with this notion that “he’s not ready”. He could play college puck almost anywhere next year. I also don’t agree with the thinking he’d be in a suit next year. I like what Bubs and Co have done with the dcore, but that’s only on paper and there are still many question marks from playing in lessor leagues, to not playing at all, and having a bunch of freshman who I wouldn’t think would be better than Strathmann.

But…if he and his advisors think he should go back…perfect. I completely agree there. Hopefully I covered all angles :)

• Upvote 3

On 5/5/2023 at 12:47 PM, InHeavenThereIsNoBeer said:

The ones that stuck out to me, didn't realize Matt Wellens didn't quote Bast in the 1st one(wonder why):

Bast said he respects that UMD took him out of the transfer portal to fill a void on the roster this season, not to push out any other current players or recruits. He also respect how protective the staff is of the program’s culture.

“Everyone talks about culture, like literally every program,” Bast said. “There’s some programs that actually walk the walk and other programs that talk the talk. What I’ve heard from Duluth is they walk the walk when it comes to culture. That was very appealing to me.”

So did Duluth have to push out any players to make room for Pionk?  Curious how they made room for a good player, almost like they are doing what’s best to improve the team.

2 hours ago, tnt said:

So did Duluth have to push out any players to make room for Pionk?  Curious how they made room for a good player, almost like they are doing what’s best to improve the team.

That's culture, UMD-style.  And anyone else.  ;) 

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, scpa0305 said:

This is a forum where folks give their opinions on all things Sioux hockey. I was simply responding to a poster that I somewhat agreed with (re. the (minor) concern of him choosing to go back to juniors to play games 120-170). When you post regarding the fact you (and others) don’t think he’s ready I never respond, unless I am tagged.

He’s the top dman on clearly one of the top ushl teams (best junior league in NA) and he’s just wrapping up two years at that level while playing 100+ games.  My only point is that I do not agree with this notion that “he’s not ready”. He could play college puck almost anywhere next year. I also don’t agree with the thinking he’d be in a suit next year. I like what Bubs and Co have done with the dcore, but that’s only on paper and there are still many question marks from playing in lessor leagues, to not playing at all, and having a bunch of freshman who I wouldn’t think would be better than Strathmann.

But…if he and his advisors think he should go back…perfect. I completely agree there. Hopefully I covered all angles :)

I'll say this... he's been really playing lights out the past few weeks. Maybe that changes the equation and he comes in? We'll see. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, stoneySIOUX said:

I'll say this... he's been really playing lights out the past few weeks. Maybe that changes the equation and he comes in? We'll see. 

But I don't think offense was going to be the issue.   I don't know that the last few weeks are going to make a huge impact as far as solving any defensive deficiencies they want to work on.  I imagine if he goes back, he has the chance to be part of the leadership of the team, and that could help him down the road as well. 

2 hours ago, tnt said:

But I don't think offense was going to be the issue.   I don't know that the last few weeks are going to make a huge impact as far as solving any defensive deficiencies they want to work on.  I imagine if he goes back, he has the chance to be part of the leadership of the team, and that could help him down the road as well. 

Regarding his improvement in play, I was speaking about his defense. His offense is fantastic.