SiouxSports.com Forum

2023-24 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

AlphaMikeFoxtrot

10 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

That clip never gets old Sic.  One of my favorites.

Kevin had some great power skating coaches growing up playing AAA hockey. He stresses the same concepts to any team he coaches be it Mites or Bantams.

His squirt team that was the only Fargo team to ever win the Squirt Spectacular was a machine when it came to skating and passing. One of the concepts of Dean Blais teams was, "Speed kills". Kevin gets his players to believe in that and they are much better skaters and players when to move on to the next level,

• Upvote 2

55 minutes ago, Speez said:

That clip never gets old Sic.  One of my favorites.

Kevin had some great power skating coaches growing up playing AAA hockey. He stresses the same concepts to any team he coaches be it Mites or Bantams.

His squirt team that was the only Fargo team to ever win the Squirt Spectacular was a machine when it came to skating and passing. One of the concepts of Dean Blais teams was, "Speed kills". Kevin gets his players to believe in that and they are much better skaters and players when to move on to the next level,

Kevin had a very distinct skating stride...low and fast.
He fit in perfectly with the Blais "Speed Kills" teams.

• Upvote 1

On 2/13/2023 at 10:29 AM, brianvf said:

Here's what I posted a few months ago in the 22/23 season thread as an outlook to 23/24:

This was all before Johnson was put on "permanent bench" status, so I guess add him to the potentially gone list as well.

Did anyone find out why he got benched?

10 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Four seconds into this video UND15 is on edges and gets hit by UAH11. UAH11 is literally shrugged off.

How many guys on the roster on their edges can absorb that hit much less deliver back enough to knock the other guy down. 

That's why I'm calling for power skating to become a point of emphasis. 

I am also shocked we do not have power skating instructors.

43 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Hedquist hasn't played since April 19 when he left a game with an injury. I'm cringing. 

The most recent UND pod, Schlossman said the goalie situation was locked in for next year (Hedquist coming in).

On 4/27/2023 at 8:17 PM, Esoteric said:

I am also shocked we do not have power skating instructors.

It feels like we are slowly losing touch with some of the things that made us great.  I loved the "speed kills" era.  

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Irish said:

It feels like we are slowly losing touch with some of the things that made us great.  I loved the "speed kills" era.  

Same here. 
Not sure if the problem is lack of speed or poor passing skills. Maybe a bit of both. Even a fast team will not look fast if the passing is not sharp. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, N of GF said:

Does anyone here know for a fact that UND doesn't have skating instructors? Unless I've missed something, all I see are a couple of people saying they don't know if they do.

I don't know what they have, but I've called for skating to return to focus just like "Ironman" training. 

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

I don't know what they have, but I've called for skating to return to focus just like "Ironman" training. 

What did Qpac call the set play they ran in OT? "The Jet" was it? A combination of speed and perfect passing left the gophers bewildered and in 2nd place.

2 hours ago, rochsioux said:

Same here. 
Not sure if the problem is lack of speed or poor passing skills. Maybe a bit of both. Even a fast team will not look fast if the passing is not sharp. 

Completely agree here. Passing was an issue the past two years I think. Especially watching some other teams play. Much more crisp.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, N of GF said:

Does anyone here know for a fact that UND doesn't have skating instructors? Unless I've missed something, all I see are a couple of people saying they don't know if they do.

I would be shocked if they don't have skating instructors come in once or twice a year and have all the training, drills and video instruction that go with it and several players also may do it on their own over the summer as well.

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

I'm sure they do, but with what coaching? 

Livanavage works with this "Boris" fellow that works with Austin Matthews. 

Oh absolutely they all do.

I know Boris, he’s really good 

1 hour ago, scpa0305 said:

Completely agree here. Passing was an issue the past two years I think. Especially watching some other teams play. Much more crisp.

This isn't just a UND thing, the Boston Bruins were passing to the opposition all series long. :) Ugh!

• Upvote 1

On 5/1/2023 at 1:00 PM, The Sicatoka said:

Yeah, I get where you're coming from. You made it clear that you don't know either way.

A few people were making assumptions about an unanswered question, and they were starting to roll that snowball downhill. Just wanted to point out that no one here has any direct knowledge that they DON'T do these things. 

• Upvote 1