SiouxSports.com Forum

2023-24 University of North Dakota Hockey Season

AlphaMikeFoxtrot

1 minute ago, Kevin G said:

I commend the coaching staff for partially rebuilding the roster with what looks like excellent portal additions. Good job.

Now, please beef up the recruiting pipeline so we don't need the portal quite so badly.

You are correct - They did a nice job with portal additions - but we have to straighten out our regular recruiting - both with getting some high-end talent and with balancing classes so we have an orderly roster from year to year.  No portal goalies for 3 years straight or having to replace our entire defense.  Hopefully this will be fixed quickly.  I can't believe how fast things went off the rails.  Hopefully an anomaly fueled by covid and the rise of the portal.  We can't just hit the portal every year while Blue Chippers flock to Minny, Michigan, Denver, and now probably Wisconsin.  

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, SpudsSioux said:

This!.

I love our top end guys for this year (Emerson, Perron and the D) and the current Junior class (Boisvert, Swanson, McInnis). If we could land someone like Emery or Hensler (if he's accelerating) to that class this could turn around in a hurry. Of note, the only coach I've seen that Hensler follows is Berry.

For the Sophomores, have to hope and think we have a shot at the local kids at the NTDP (Laurila, O'Neil and Lindberg).

Edit: YHH confirmed Hensler is accelerating.  

For Hensler, he also has an insta but it's private. I've read it's down to UND, MN, and MI. Don't know how accurate that is. 

The more I ponder it the more I think this is a "balance now / balance later" dilemma.

Balance Later: Take two more one-year portals. A year from now you have a junior, four sophs, and three freshmen. That's not very balanced but it is what it is
Balance Now: Find juniors or sophs to flatten the distribution today, but what'll you have for space in a year for (assume Strathmann and Jubenvill and McInnis). 

And does Bubs get to make this decision or is it made for him (meaning who's willing to come in from where and when). 

19 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

The more I ponder it the more I think this is a "balance now / balance later" dilemma.

Balance Later: Take two more one-year portals. A year from now you have a junior, four sophs, and three freshmen. That's not very balanced but it is what it is
Balance Now: Find juniors or sophs to flatten the distribution today, but what'll you have for space in a year for (assume Strathmann and Jubenvill and McInnis). 

And does Bubs get to make this decision or is it made for him (meaning who's willing to come in from where and when). 

McInnis is one I wouldn’t be super confident about being here in a year. He’s hardly played any games this year, so he may need more time.  Obviously a lot can happen in a year but worth keeping an eye on. 

22 minutes ago, cowboys5xsbs said:

Doesn't this cut into the freshmen class for dmen next year 

Pehrson only has one season left. He fills a need very, very well (RH, defensive, experienced, used to playing with younger guys who'll make coverage errors). 

A year from now Pyke and Pehrson will both be done. 

• Upvote 2

Just now, cowboys5xsbs said:

Doesn't this cut into the freshmen class for dmen next year 

Pyke and Pehrson are every nighters for sure. Probably play our top two freshys with them, and then work the former Mankato man back into the lineup. The older freshy will probably have to fight for a spot on a nightly basis. Competition is important, and the young guys will learn from these Super seniors.

I know there's still some nerves around the future pipeline, development, etc. (I, for one, love our pipeline, but as GF says, when have I ever not loved it? LOL), but my goodness, this team came into shape pretty dang well. Big props to Bubs and crew.

This looks like a playoff team on paper, without a doubt. OF COURSE, we all said that last year, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't be optimistic. 

• Upvote 2