SiouxSports.com Forum

WMU @ UND -- Friday Game Day

stoneySIOUX

9 hours ago, iramurphy said:

Not sure what way you are referring to. But a cheap shot to the chin of an opponent by one of our veteran players at a critical time in a critical game is not going to hold anyone accountable. It actually rewarded the opponent with a 5 min major and loss of a key player for the rest of the weekend. 

In a long gone time, the cross check to the back into the dasher before the man could get up would be a “drop the gloves and settle this” matter. Level field. Today Kleven took the dumb but only available recourse, that or keep receiving cheap shots. 

But you could see it: Polin and WMU knew they could get Kleven’s ire up and they did. Kleven went along and that’s his mistake. No. Actually, Kleven should’ve gone to Gopher school and stayed down after Polin’s cross check to the back into the dasher. Make the official do his job.

• Upvote 3

Regarding Kleven, if they called the boarding, it never happens.  Forums are funny though, because some people think UND's too soft, and others are upset Kleven responded.  He shouldn't have done it, but it was the heat of the moment.

As for meaningless arguments about the fourth line, I like 11-13-20 better than 21-18-20.  I think Ness has been consistently noticeable this year for the right reasons, and he'd be in my lineup.  At the same time, I recognize that Strinden has also made an impact.  I'm not sure how to make it work (i.e., who comes out and how the lines fit), but I'd like to see both 11 and 21 play.

The geriatric line was good again.  Lots of possession and chances ... but in the net please.

1 hour ago, Goon said:

I've been a UND fan since 1993 when I came to UND. This is by far the worst goaltending tandem that UND has had during that time span. 

I give you Josh sembida, but your also expecting goaltending to make stops when no picks up the open trailer or both d men are behind the net and someone is left alone in the slot. I think if one or the other tightens up it’s a whole new ball game. 

Just now, SIOUXELEVENS said:

I give you Josh sembida, but your also expecting goaltending to make stops when no picks up the open trailer or both d men are behind the net and someone is left alone in the slot. I think if one or the other tightens up it’s a whole new ball game. 

What is sad is on that play Frisch was directing traffic and calling coverage and they still left the trailer wide open. 

Dark Days indeed...   curse of the Nodak?

seeing Kleven's face while he sat in the penalty box waiting on his inevitable ejection one had to wonder what he was thinking...   ottawa ...  should, could, would, tomorrow, asap....    I don't know him, but seems not like the type to jump mid season.

Wish I had insight in what is needed, puck luck is my top thought, more defensive awareness and not just by the defensemen...   looking at Gaber on the first goal....  

I think give the net to Johnson and run with it, but I often have oddball thoughts

• Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Oxbow6 said:

When is it going to be announced that 25 is suspended tonight by the NCHC?

Looking at this video, I am thinking we won't see Tyler Kleven tonight. The video doesn't show Kleven. being boarded prior to the cross-check to the face area. 

Here's the hit prior in question. 

7 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Kleven will probably get more than a game.

If the league had any nerve it would sit Polin for the first hit on Kleven. 

I predict that they will not. This is the NCHC we're talking about. Polin should sit, but they don't have the stones to do it. 

• Downvote 1

From Today's Notes

ostgame Notes  

• The 25-save shutout by Rowe was the first by a visiting goaltender since WMU did it on Nov. 16, 2018 
  • Polin now has an NCAA-leading 21 goals after his pair tonight  
  • Jakob Hellsten stopped 23 shots, one off his career-high also set against the Broncos 
  • WMU finished with a 27-25 shot advantage  
  • Owen McLaughlin and Dylan James both paced UND with four shots on goal  
  • The Broncos were 1-for-4 on the power play while NoDak was 0-for-2 
  • UND drops to 1-9-3 this season when scoring fewer than four goals in a game 
  • WMU won the faceoff battle, 34-28, with Jake Schmaltz finishing 9-9 to pace UND 

41 minutes ago, 90siouxfan said:

Dark Days indeed...   curse of the Nodak?

seeing Kleven's face while he sat in the penalty box waiting on his inevitable ejection one had to wonder what he was thinking...   ottawa ...  should, could, would, tomorrow, asap....    I don't know him, but seems not like the type to jump mid season.

Wish I had insight in what is needed, puck luck is my top thought, more defensive awareness and not just by the defensemen...   looking at Gaber on the first goal....  

I think give the net to Johnson and run with it, but I often have oddball thoughts

Agree on Johnson, what do they have to lose at this point.   As far as Kleven and Ottawa go this isn't a case of him getting screwed.   It is a case of him retaliating and getting booted.  It is always the second guy that gets caught.   He made a very bad choice and will pay the price.

• Upvote 1