SiouxSports.com Forum

2023 Football Season

Midwestern Hawk

1 minute ago, Dustin said:

Wow, was not expecting my comment to blow up into the topic of the day!  I used the word “ALSO” because the ‘22 was in our favor at one point.

Yes and I just wanted to know if people really felt like that was a winnable game. I thought SDSU won very comfortably. No shot at you I was just curious 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

6 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

I thought playoffs count in the four game exception. 

Like I said, finally, a room

Tommy started in a room with Grover, Ketteringham, and Zimmerman. This ain't that room ... thank goodness. 

You’re right - playoffs count towards the 4 games. It was just last year in 2022 that there was a postseason waiver (in FBS). 

https://dknetwork.draftkings.com/platform/amp/2022/12/16/23513120/college-football-bowl-game-eligibility-ncaa-rules-exemptions-opt-outs-redshirts

5 hours ago, siouxfan512 said:

Who is lowering expectations. I don't care if we win by 1 or 50, I just want to see us win. Obviously I'd rather see us win by a bigger margin than one. 

I really would love to see a 9-2 team this year with more than 1 playoff win. That should be realistic and achievable. Even if it is 8-3, I'd still like to see us have more than 1 playoff win. (Obviously I want to see us win in Frisco, but I'd take any playoff improvement at this point)

SDSU will be very tough on the road BUT we should 100% be going in there with the mentality that we are going to win. If the players don't believe that, they have already beat themselves. Hopefully we will have some success and confidence heading into that game.

Same goes for Boise. Bigger and better on paper, but FBS teams get knocked off every year. We should have finished off Nebraska last year. I want a win. I acknowledge the odds point towards a loss (but make it competitive). I would be disappointed to see and absolute blow out.

Those games aside, its the NDSU, UNI and even USD games that we need to step up and be tough. Those will be the real difference makers on our schedule. USD may not be a top team in the MVFC, but that game always gets tough, and I believe we are in Vermillion this year.

I say try win them all. Screw the “odds”. At some point UND needs to break the odds or forever be 7-4.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Dustin said:

Yup, whether it's 9-2 or 8-3 (both acceptable, and would be great seasons) or even 7-4 (hope not, but even that's better than many alternatives) the bar needs to be set by playoff victories.  Has to be at least 1, and 2 should be the expectation.  Anything beyond that would be a bonus this year, but would set the stage for (a) Frisco run(s) as the decade wears on.

Doesn’t take a decade-plus to turnaround a program. That’s a false narrative that only exists around here. UND football and Bubba have been babied and given too much time, but, since it is what it is, hope they make something happen in 2023.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

Up two scores, at home.
Up at the half.

Same thing that happened at Nebraska: they let the game get away from them. 

Talent? Fatigue? Scheme? Nerves? Don't know what failed but it's that pattern. 

Bubba Ball is the pattern. Football is over 90% mental - what’s being done/said in the locker room at halftime is beyond suspect. Don’t forget 2016 Richmond in playoffs, or second half of UND-NDSU in 2021. 2021 Utah State. 

The second half of big games is the kryptonite of Bubba ball (i.e. coaching). 

5 minutes ago, UND1983 said:

Not sure how this board survived all those years prior to the three basketball bro's showing up (at same time) and telling us how to do everything.  

Might want to check that again:

@GoodGood joined Dec 12, 2020

@HoopsFan03 joined Nov 1, 2022

@McBuckets joined Feb 23, 2023

You're currently 0/2 today bud. 

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

The second half of big games is the kryptonite of Bubba ball (i.e. coaching). 

Allow me to both agree and disagree.

The data -> second halves are problematic, indubitably. 

But they're in the game at half so how they were coached up to the game worked.

Half time adjustments are the bugaboo. 

• Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

Allow me to both agree and disagree.

The data -> second halves are problematic, indubitably. 

But they're in the game at half so how they were coached up to the game worked.

Half time adjustments are the bugaboo. 

Yeah half-time adjustments have gone in favor of the opposing team more often than not. Honestly, Danny needs more input and eventually needs to take over. Bubba’s DNA/persona - even going back to Duluth days - just doesn’t instill end of game confidence.

Never forget - you don’t win the game based on the halftime score, but the score at the end of the game is a different story. 

• Upvote 2

also a problem with our team against "better" teams is we play our offense inside of a 30 yard box bc our qb can't/won't let er rip and that will catch up to you (especially if the opposing coaches see that at halftime and say he can't/won't throw more than 30 yards downfield)...makes it more difficult to run the ball too....

i think we have the wr's now (young and old) that can make some plays over the top...just do we have a qb that will too?

tommy's longest passes against the 4 teams the last 2 years that were/are "better"

utah state 32

ndac 30

sdac 25

nebraska 15

sdac 34

ndac 63 (throw that one out and tommy is 10-18 for 90 yds)

weber state 19

rookie-numbers.gif

jerry be like ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, SIOUXFAN97 said:

also a problem with our team against "better" teams is we play our offense inside of a 30 yard box bc our qb can't/won't let er rip and that will catch up to you (especially if the opposing coaches see that at halftime and say he can't/won't throw more than 30 yards downfield)...makes it more difficult to run the ball too....

i think we have the wr's now (young and old) that can make some plays over the top...just do we have a qb that will too?

tommy's longest passes against the 4 teams the last 2 years that were/are "better"

utah state 32

ndac 30

sdac 25

nebraska 15

sdac 34

ndac 63 (throw that one out and tommy is 10-18 for 90 yds)

weber state 19

rookie-numbers.gif

jerry be like ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Here's to Tommy having more time to throw this year with better protection