SiouxSports.com Forum

Fundraising

gfhockey

28 minutes ago, gfhockey said:

Good year for und alumni foundation but bad year for endowment which is undrrtsnadble

https://www.grandforksherald.com/news/local/und-foundation-records-second-highest-fundraising-total-ever-in-fiscal-year-2022

BUT for all those who say nattys don’t matter NdSu has finally passed us in endowment with all the natty exposure they get

Endowment doesn’t mean a thing unless you use it for something good for the university 

all these schools,with massive endowments and now the government wants to forgive student loans, I want to see their grades and parents worth 

this makes absolutely no sense

when I donate I put on the check what I want it used for 

look at Williston state giving so many students free tuition and it’s from donations 

26 minutes ago, Sioux>Bison said:

UND fans , alumni , and administration better get used to being the second fiddle in the state. They are beating us in sports, endowment, and in research status. Something better be done or get used to this!

The only one I’m concerned about is research status

26 minutes ago, The Sicatoka said:

I'll let @jdub27explain that. I believe he has about 40 million reasons or so. 

That's just a ballpark of the difference between non-competitive state/local funding. Doesn't take into account the difference in institutional funding for research.

Put more plainly, because NDSU is the land grant, the state funds an exorbitant amount of their research funding in the form of non-competitive dollars. I'm not arguing that this isn't part of their mission, but it is an important caveat when discussing their research status. That (along with not having their med school on campus) is why Nebraska lost their AAU status a decade ago. Again, saying it is right or wrong, that is part of the deal being the land grand in an agricultural state. UND has roughly 50% more federally funded R&D expenditures than NDSU. And in NDSU's defense, since UND has the med school, that is going to be part of the deal as well.

The university focuses heavily on agriculture research, a priority for a land grant institution. But in the eyes of the AAU, most agricultural research is not peer-reviewed, competitive research, so it is “not considered as highly,” AAU spokesman Barry Toiv said, compared with medical and economic research.

• Upvote 2

42 minutes ago, jdub27 said:

That's just a ballpark of the difference between non-competitive state/local funding. Doesn't take into account the difference in institutional funding for research.

Put more plainly, because NDSU is the land grant, the state funds an exorbitant amount of their research funding in the form of non-competitive dollars. I'm not arguing that this isn't part of their mission, but it is an important caveat when discussing their research status. That (along with not having their med school on campus) is why Nebraska lost their AAU status a decade ago. Again, saying it is right or wrong, that is part of the deal being the land grand in an agricultural state. UND has roughly 50% more federally funded R&D expenditures than NDSU. And in NDSU's defense, since UND has the med school, that is going to be part of the deal as well.

Well said.

• 3 weeks later...

With how important UND and it's graduates are to many aviation companies, is there a reason we don't see more athletic sponsorships, advertisements, or fundraising help from the aviation industry?  For example, Alaska Airlines paid for naming rights for UAA's Alaska Airlines Center.  

Why don't we see the athletic department building relationships with companies like Delta, American Airlines, Spirit, or defense companies with a local presence like Northrup Grumman or General Atomics? 

Anyone have any insight into whether any of these companies are or where significant donors to UND athletics?  With how many pilots UND puts out there, I feel like it would be beneficial for some of these companies to advertise more during UND sporting events or to Sponsor games, etc...

• 11 months later...