SiouxSports.com Forum

Nick Mertens

UND92,96

Congrats to Nick Mertens on being named player of the year in Minnesota by the A.P., and for leading EGF to its first ever state title! I have no idea how realistic UND's chances are of landing this kid, but he's one of the best local high school football players I've seen in a long time.

I've seen him play twice and though I don't know crap about crap, I'm just dumbfounded that no DI schools are going after him right now. He is an incredibly talented player, probably the best athlete out of EGF in at least 20 years. Only wish he was a hockey player too instead of basketball. :ohmy:

This was in the Herald today:

Mertens undecided on a college

Senior High's Mertens, the Associated Press Player of the Year, said he hasn't decided where he plans to play football next year.

North Dakota State and UND are among the schools recruiting Mertens and his favorite receiver, Rambeck.

"I'm hoping after this a few more schools will give me a call," Mertens said after he ran for one score and threw for two others against Becker.

It might not be the end of the Mertens-to-Rambeck passing combination. They could play on the same team in college on the heels of a season in which Mertens passed for 36 touchdowns and Rambeck caught 16 TD passes.

Mertens' 224 passing yards against Becker gave him nearly 2,500 for the season.

"If it's over, it's been great playing with him," Rambeck said."It's been a lot of fun."

Regarding Mertens, he's a 4.0 student so you would think that he would end up getting a full ride between a partial football scholarship and academic scholarship(s). My understanding is that that was more or less the situation with Rory Manke last year, although I could be wrong about that. Regarding Chappell, I would think he should be in line for some track scholarship money, even though I know there isn't a lot of track money at UND. Again, hopefully between football and track he'd be close to a full ride. I had thought that Mahmoud got some track scholarship money in addition to football so this would not be unprecedented.

:D A few things.........

1) Nick Mertens is a GREAT competitor and winner. I hope like hell that he goes to UND and not the farm yard down south. However, he is not full-ride football scholarship material. Maybe with some academic money also, he could be close to one here.

2) Stop bashing our QB's please. Considering what they have been through at the position, I'd say we are lucky that they have performed as well as they have. Injuries have hurt their continuity and practice time with the offense. Starting 3 different qb's, with 2 of them being sophs and starting for the first time this year, I'd say that it isn't the easiest thing to do. QB is a very mentally and psychologically demanding position. Hard to be sound in both those areas when you have physical ailments keeping you from gaining the confidence needed from playing every down.

3) All that being said, I hope Mertens comes to UND. He is one hell of a competitor, and most of all, he is a winner. I just agree with some of the people on here, and will say that I don't think UND will offer him a full-ride for football. I just think that there is more to the equation than a lot of people think when it comes to recruiting a QB. STAY HOME NICK!!!!!! NDSU just wants to use you for their own propoganda's sake. They haven't ever been able to get our local kids, like we have gotten a lot of Fargo's. This is their way to say that because they are D1, they can steal kids like you because they offer fulls. Steve Walker is there starting as a freshman. Unless you think you can beat him out, you wouldn't be starting until your junior year. Remember that. Make the right decision for yourself, Nick.

GO SIOUX!!!!

Steve Walker is there starting as a freshman.  Unless you think you can beat him out, you wouldn't be starting until your junior year.  Remember that.  Make the right decision for yourself, Nick. 

GO SIOUX!!!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually.. if their QB is a freshman then he wouldnt be able to start until the senior year... unless he beats him out or he gets hurt.

Various comments on the Mertens situation:

-- It is very difficult for UND to offer many full rides with only 36 total scholarships and 80+ players receiving some aid.

-- Mertens is a real talent and it would be great to get him but with two pretty decent sophomore QBs and a redshirt freshman (Freund), who may be the best of the bunch, it probably wouldn't be the best use of our limited $.

-- With only full rides available at 1-AA schools (NDSU), I would guess that they will go after Mertens very hard for two reasons: 1) he is very talented and a winner and 2) to set the precedent that the best FB players in the area should go to SU and play DI ball rather than go to UND. If the table was turned and UND was the I-AA team, that is exactly what we would be trying to do.

-- I realize in Mertens case, he would likely get some academic scholarship $ but we need to remember that that doesn't apply to most recruits. Getting a full ride is prestigious for a young recruit, but in many cases, necessary if the family has few resources. We are likely to lose many recruits in FB and BB because of this. This may prompt our coaches (like Lennon) to become even less enchanted with staying DII - which means they may not want to stay at UND!

-- With Mertens commenting that he hoped his play in the playoffs would result in "a few more schools giving him a call", I would think that would mean that he wants to go DI.

-- Clarification to the previous post - if Mertens would redshirt at NDSU as a freshman (and he would), he could take over from Walker as a junior.

Do any of the GF posters have any idea where Chappelle is leaning right now? I don't know if he is the answer, but UND could sure use some help at RB in the next couple of years. I am not sure if any of the redshirt freshmen RBs can contribute next year. Any of you who have seen them practice have any thoughts on this?

When Mertens was being interviewed on TV after winning the championship he used the word "I" quite a bit.

Dale Lennon runs a tight ship and you better be a team player (even if you play every position on the team). And there is no I in team.

I hope Mertens doesn't go to NDSU because I think he could play for a real D1 team. He's definitely got the talent.

When Mertens was being interviewed on TV after winning the championship he used the word "I" quite a bit.

Dale Lennon runs a tight ship and you better be a team player (even if you play every position on the team). And there is no I in team.

Nick did say I alot, but most of those "I"'s were about how he felt it was his responsiblity to lead the team. I needed to play well or I wouldn't be doing my job and I would be letting the team down. The team was on my back and I was responsible for leading them.

Chappell would be great to have for the sioux, but I don't think he should be given track money to help the football team.

In the past few years, we have had some great athletes play football and participate in track...but unfortunately for track & field, spring ball takes precedence over competing in outdoor track. Why should the track team use any of its limited scholarship money for someone who doesn't even go to meets? Also, the football team tends to bulk up its players, and Ryan would probably add weight - which would increase his times.

Examples:

Last year Donovan Alexander had a good indoor season. Had he kept running, he may have been able to provisionally qualify for outdoor nationals. But, instead of running, he played spring football and didn't compete outdoors.

Josh Haugan threw for a school record in the weight throw indoor, but didn't compete at all outdoor because of spring ball.

Chappell's main events in track would be the 400 hurdles, and 200/400m dash. His skills wouldn't be fully realized just by running indoor track, so why give a scholarship to someone that can't commit to the team.

If Chappell comes here, he should pick one sport and stick with it. There have been very few athletes in the past that can truly excel in both track and football (Norm McGee comes to mind), and he will most likely choose football.

Watching what Dressler does this spring will be interesting to see. Great runner, but he probably won't run outdoor....it would be nice to see him at practice though.

"With only full rides available at 1-AA schools (NDSU)"

Actually, 1-AA teams can split their scholarship money up. 1-A is required to give fulls only. The only limitation on 1-AA teams is that they can only have I believe 90 players receiving football scholarships of any kind, whereas a D2 school could put 200 kids on $100 scholarships if they wanted to.

"With only full rides available at 1-AA schools (NDSU)"

Actually, 1-AA teams can split their scholarship money up.  1-A is required to give fulls only.  The only limitation on 1-AA teams is that they can only have I believe 90 players receiving football scholarships of any kind, whereas a D2 school could put 200 kids on $100 scholarships if they wanted to.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for pointing this out - it is not a given that a 1AA recruit will get a free ride. I looked it up and the 63 scholarships can not go to more than 85 players.

Hopefully Nick goes to UND. The engineering shouldn't matter, because UND does have an accredited engineering program.

What's the deal with the East Side reciever? Is UND recruiting him? I've seen it mentioned a few times that they'd like to play together again one day. Admirable, but you gotta do what's best for you.

Hopefully Nick goes to UND.  The engineering shouldn't matter, because UND does have an accredited engineering program.

What's the deal with the East Side reciever?  Is UND recruiting him?  I've seen it mentioned a few times that they'd like to play together again one day.  Admirable, but you gotta do what's best for you.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I've heard both SU and UND have been contacting him, but again I think it will come down to playing at a DI vs. a DII school. Most kids have dreams of playing DI ball. I just don't think they realize they'd get the chance to play for a championship here because SU has a few years before playoffs come to pass... We'll see what happens, though. You never know we might get them both.