SiouxSports.com Forum

Nick Mertens

UND92,96

Another local kid has gotten some recognition. Kenley Wahlin from Crookston was named all-state as a safety by www.minnesotapreps.com. I would think UND would be recruiting him as a wide receiver. He's 6'3" and about 180 pounds with decent speed. Mertens was named all-state at quarterback, not surprisingly.

Another local kid has gotten some recognition. Kenley Wahlin from Crookston was named all-state as a safety by www.minnesotapreps.com.  I would think UND would be recruiting him as a wide receiver.  He's 6'3" and about 180 pounds with decent speed. Mertens was named all-state at quarterback, not surprisingly.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

One of the Sioux players said there is a transfer running back "better that the guy from USD" who is sitting out this year and a transfer receiver who is about 6'2'' with very good speed who is sitting out this year. The RB is listed in the program as a DB. Can't remember the name but you heard it here first. Hopefully who ever he is, he has his own credit card and isn't sitting out for academic reasons.

I am quite sure Longe is playing DB. He didn't play a whole lot of RB in HS. He apparently was a very good DB with great speed. He was another very good track athlete.

I would be real curious who the RB and WR are. If they transferred from a DI school or JC, they would have been eligible to play this year so I would have thought they would be on the roster - even if they were red-shirting. They probably would not be listed on the roster if they were transfers from another DII school.

I am quite sure Longe is playing DB.  He didn't play a whole lot of RB in HS.  He apparently was a very good DB with great speed.  He was another very good track athlete.

I would be real curious who the RB and WR are.  If they transferred from a DI school or JC, they would have been eligible to play this year so I would have thought they would be on the roster - even if they were red-shirting.  They probably would not be listed on the roster if they were transfers from another DII school.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Didn't Luecke transfer from a D-1 school and have toi sit out a year?????

Didn't Luecke transfer from a D-1 school and have toi sit out a year?????

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

A player only has to sit out if he is going from a I-A school to a I-A school. This is why many I-A transfers go to a I-AA school. DI(A and AA) have a five consecutive year clock for eligibility. If a player redshirts and then transfers from a I-A to a I-A, he would only have three years of actual playing time(with the one year he would have to sit out and the redshirt year as part of the five years).

It's a little hard to get too excited about transfers, particularly somebody whose name isn't actually on the roster, since there have been a number of those guys who ultimately never played a down. One example was current Chicago Bears coach Lovie Smith's son, who had stops at both NDSU and UND after having some legal problems at Arizona. I believe he practiced with UND for the entire 2000 season, but I don't know what became of him after that.

I seriously doubt that Charles is a guy who "is better than that guy from USD". Charles has decent speed but I don't think they have high hopes for him as a big contributor at RB in the future.

I suppose it could be that UND has a commitment from a talented RB transfer who will be here next year. A current player may have known of the commitment. I really would have thought we would have heard about a great RB and talented receiver who had transferred in last fall!

Yes, Lueck had to sit out his first year due to issues with the number of transferable credits.

I seriously doubt that Charles is a guy who "is better than that guy from USD".  Charles has decent speed but I don't think they have high hopes for him as a big  contributor at RB in the future.

I suppose it could be that UND has a commitment from a talented RB transfer who will be here next year.  A current player may have known of the commitment.  I really would have thought we would have heard about a great RB and talented receiver who had transferred in last fall!

Yes, Lueck had to sit out his first year due to issues with the number of transferable credits.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It isn't Charles. I was told the guy transfered from Illinois but I wasn't sure so I didnt' share that. It would be the kid from St. Paul who came as a Dback and was switched to RB. The players comment was that he made them look pretty foolish at times trying to catch him when he played scout team. I don't know about the receiver but this kid who is a plays alot said the receiver was pretty good.

The rb is Anthony Longe. And for the record he played a ton of rb in highschool. He has excellent quickness, and a low center of gravity. I dont know where they are gunna play him, but the minute he gets the ball everyone will feel that he should have the ball all the time. Kick-Return and Punt Return are his I promise, and dressler is good, but this guy looks special. Just swing by a practice and watch.

The reciever is Martin Tatum I believe. I havent got to see him catch balls, but he does have good speed, and great size.

The rb is Anthony Longe. And for the record he played a ton of rb in highschool. He has excellent quickness, and a low center of gravity. I dont know where they are gunna play him, but the minute he gets the ball everyone will feel that he should have the ball all the time. Kick-Return and Punt Return are his I promise, and dressler is good, but this guy looks special. Just swing by a practice and watch.

The reciever is Martin Tatum I believe. I havent got to see him catch balls, but he does have good speed, and great size.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I had made the statement that Longe didn't play a lot of RB in HS. Probably a bad assumption on my part. I read the blurb about him when he was recruited to Illinois. It talked about all his defensive abilities and his speed in track, then it mentioned that he ran for 700 yards as a senior.

Where did Tatum transfer from?

Martin is from Colorado and played high school with Beatty.  He played as a true freshman at Adams State College (DII) and later transferred to Colorado State.  He is a big guy with good hands.  Should be fun to watch.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for the info. Does Martin have two years of eligibility left? Do you know why he has jumped around?

Apparently you have a good handle on what is going on in the Sioux camp so do you know:

Are there any other transfers sitting out this year?

Is Longe impressing everyone as was mentioned in an earlier post?

How are the redshirt freshmen looking? Is Freund the real deal?

How is Trenbaeth doing? I had heard that he will play baseball this spring and be ready for FB next fall.

Does the team have any commitments yet for next year?

Thanks!

Tatum has two years of eligibility left. He switched schools because he did not like his situations at either schools. The only other transfer sitting out this year is Anthony Longe, and he is playing corner. He is one of the top two or three fastest guys on the team and maybe the quickest. Not sure on the redshirts, but have heard some positives on Danny Freund. Apparently he has quite the arm and has impressed coaches daily.

Forum article:

NDSU in lead for Mertens

By Jeff Kolpack,The Forum

Published Friday, December 03, 2004

North Dakota State appears to be the leader in the clubhouse to land Nick Mertens. But the University of Minnesota may have something to say before Mertens' recruiting round is complete.

The Minnesota Player of the Year from East Grand Forks said he wants to play football at the highest level possible and NDSU could be the only full scholarship offer on the table.

"I had it narrowed down but I'm hoping to get a few more calls now," Mertens said.

Asked what his reaction would be if the Gophers came calling, Mertens said, "Yeah, it would be a dream if they asked me to come down and play. But I would have to see how well I fit in there."

The Bison have found a recruiting fit in South Dakota. Ryan Schuttloffel, a 6-foot-7, 293-pound lineman from Sioux Falls Roosevelt, gave NDSU a verbal commitment.

He played defense in high school, but Roosevelt head coach Brent DeBoer said NDSU will probably play Schuttloffel on the offensive line.

"For his size, he's a pretty quick kid," DeBoer said.

Schuttloffel's word comes after Yankton High lineman Gerry Ebel, 6-7 and 315 pounds, gave NDSU a commitment.

"They got two of the biggest kids in our state," DeBoer said.

Mertens is the biggest prospect in the area. His appearance in the state finals may have gotten him more exposure.

The University of Buffalo (N.Y.) called Wednesday, said East Grand Forks head coach Bruce Nelson.

Former NDSU assistant Andy Rondeau is an assistant at Buffalo.

NDSU, the University of North Dakota and St. Cloud (Minn.) State are in the mix, Nelson said.

"That's where it stands right now," Nelson said. "But I think a few more things are going to happen as time goes on."

Mertens, a 6-foot-2, 180-pound quarterback, is considered the area's top college prospect. He led the Green Wave to a 14-0 record and a Minnesota Class 3A state championship.