SiouxSports.com Forum

Sioux vs St. Cloud Series..............

AZSIOUX

Here are the results and stats from st clouds games this year........

Overall 6-3-1 Conference 2-2-0

Away 2-2-0 Home 3-1-0 neutral 1-0-1

Goals/Game...St. Cloud-3.7.....Opp-2.5

POWER PLAYS

Goals-Power Plays..St. Cloud-13-77 (.169%).....Opp-8-78 (.103%)

Sat 10/09/2004 T 1 vs St. Lawrence (nc) 1 ot

Sun 10/10/2004 W 3 vs Ohio State (nc) 1

Fri 10/15/2004 W 2 Northern Michigan (nc) 1

Sat 10/16/2004 L 2 Northern Michigan (nc) 4

Fri 10/22/2004 L 2 @ Denver 5

Sat 10/23/2004 L 1 @ Denver 6

Fri 10/29/2004 W 7 @ Princeton (nc) 2

Sat 10/30/2004 W 10 @ Yale (nc) 0

Fri 11/12/2004 W 3 Michigan Tech 1

Sat 11/13/2004 W 6 Michigan Tech 4

The following is text from an article in today's St. Cloud Times:

16 November, 2004

WCHA notebook: North Dakota's slump has the fans grumbling

Kevin Allenspach

The fans are getting restless in Grand Forks.

Not only was North Dakota swept Friday and Saturday, Wisconsin's Bernd Bruckler came within seven minutes of becoming the first goaltender to hand the Sioux back-to-back shutouts since the men's hockey program started in 1946.

Since a 4-2 home win over Minnesota on Oct. 22, North Dakota has scored 12 goals in seven games. Not coincidentally, the Sioux are 1-5-1 during that stretch.

That's not the way to defend the MacNaughton Cup, and some North Dakota fans and even players are beginning to wonder about the team's offensive ability.

Sure, they don't have Zach Parise and Brandon Bochenski, who combined for 115 points last season. They left early for fat NHL contracts and are playing in the AHL. And Brady Murray, who scored 46 points as a freshman, has had his sophomore season derailed by a knee injury.

But, perhaps most surprising, North Dakota seems resigned to trying to win with defense heading into this weekend's series against St. Cloud State at Engelstad Arena.

"We're not going to be in any shootouts," Sioux captain Matt Greene told the Madison Capital-Times -- before the 3-0 and 5-2 losses to the Badgers. "We're going to be a two-, three-goal if we're playing well type of team. So defensively, we've got to step it up.

"That's been an adjustment, but we've always been a pretty sound defensive team. But you can't make mistakes. Last year, with that lineup the way it was, if you make a mistake here or there it's not going to cost you a game. Here, it is. You've got to eliminate all mistakes out of your game defensively."

Defense isn't supposed to be their problem. North Dakota returned eight defensemen and both goalies from last year's team. And freshman goalie Phillippe Lamoreaux has been outstanding.

As for scoring goals, the Sioux also returned seven players who scored at least 10 times last season. In the league, only Minnesota-Duluth brought back as many.

After 12 games, Colby Genoway leads the team in scoring but has just one goal. Drew Stafford has three. And defensemen Nick Fuher and Jones have none. Those players alone combined for 58 goals in 2003-04. On their current pace, they'll total 13 in 2004-05.

"There are no excuses for the lack of offense," assistant captain Rory McMahon told the Grand Forks Herald. "The time for excuses is over. We need to get our offense going -- and fast."

This is a team I think UND has to beat. It will be unexecptable this weekend if UND loses any points to SCCC. Number one they haven't played anyone tough and beaten them yet. Start Lammy both game and see where the chips lay.

I wish I could be more optimistic, but this Sioux team has major problems:

1. Penalties. UND is taking too many, poorly timed penalties.

2. Defense. They are allowing far more shots than last year, even though they brought back everyone.

3. Offense. Complete lack thereof. Parise & Bochenski only explain part of this. The rest lies somewhere in the coaching or execution of the game. This is the worst offense UND has fielded since '01-02, when they actually had a valid excuse.

Let's get it together, boys. Christmas isn't far away.

The Sioux are a team which haven't quite found their identity. They aren't a highly skilled team, and they aren't really a grind it out team either. Eades is new and each player needs to find out how they fit into the offensive system the coaches are trying to get them to play.

If any of the players read these message boards, I would imagine they get fairly upset with the some fair weather fans and notices of gloom and doom. I am sure the rage is building a bit, but the refs (with their calls) won't let the beast loose.

Personally, I think UND is more effective when they (the entire team) play more physical and take some penalties. The competitive edge is there when they play like that. They should have adjusted better by now to know what they can get away with.

It may not click this weekend, but when it does we will see a team possessed.

UND has the talent. IMHO it's just a matter of whether or not Hakstol is able to get the team to jell by February or November of 2005. The sky may seem like its falling, but only because Sioux fans (and the rest of us) have come to expect so much from the program each and every year. While it'd be fun to kick you while you're down, I don't expect you to stay down.

Personally, I think UND is more effective when they (the entire team) play more physical and take some penalties.  The competitive edge is there when they play like that.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I don't have the numbers in front of me, but the MN weekend supports your opinion somewhat. Friday, the Sioux were holding team meetings in the penalty box, but they somehow survived all the PK and won the game. Saturday, I think they only took three penalties, and didn't exactly get in the way of anyone wearing maroon, and were embarassed.

I really think this is the weekend the boys start finding themselves and the offense starts to click.They have to know the next 3 weekends are a possible 12 points and they should get at least 9 of those 12.If that happens this team will be sitting good for the new year and the first 5 series will be forgotten about.

I'm sorry that this is a little off the thread, but I have a question. My wife and I have tickets to Friday night's game. We haven't been to GF for 2 years to a game and I want to make the night special for the both of us. We used to eat at a place on 32nd Ave called Branigans, but I've heard that it is now closed :lol: . So I'm looking for other eating places that would be similar.

My sources tell me that a place called Sanders is very nice, but also very expensive. Also a place called The River Bend was suggested. Also the Bronze Boot. Are there any other suggestions, recommendations, etc? Thanks for your help. :)

If I remember right, Branigans was kind of elegant for a chain. The River Bend would be similar. Also in East Grand is Whitey's and the Blue Moose, which is my wife's favorite place. Both of these are basic american fare with a more casual atmosphere. Lola's is a trendy italian place in downtown GF area. Run by the same guy who has Sanders I believe. I think the Bronze Boot is hit or miss, I've had some poor meals there as well as some good ones.

Sanders is generally considered the best in GF and I think the cost issue is a little overblown. Yeah, you can easily spend $100+ for 2 there, but you can at other places as well. Here's the menu.

Thanks for the info! :D I don't think we'll be heading towards Sanders.

I couldn't find anything on the WEB for River Bend :lol: , but the Bronze Boot, Blue Moose and Whitey's all had fairly nice web pages :) . I think we'll head to Whitey's unless I'm convinced to try something else. We've been to Dimaggieos (sp) and we like that place but wanted to try something different.

Also, We haven't been to the Ralph for a couple of years. Is there anything new that we should go check out?

Check out the GF visitor's bureau . . .

www.grandforkscvb.org

Specifically the dining category

http://www.visitgrandforks.com/main/dining...q=&category=all

Some notes.

Red River Deli is closed at present.

Eagles Crest Grill at the golf course is easy access (on Columbia Road about 4 miles south of the REA) and good food.

Sander's late night menu (after 9pm) is limited but affordable and the pumpkin cheesecake is wonderful . . (it's seasonal and it goes quickly, earlier you eat there the better your chance of getting a slice, later in the evening it might not be available)

Sander's (downtown GF) vs. Bronze Boot (north GF approx. 2 miles from REA)

atmosphere to Sander's

quantity of food to Bronze Boot

quality of food Sander's never a bad meal, Bronze Boot I've never had reason

to complain but others have . . . so toss up

cost to Bronze Boot "more food for the money" but the Sander's late night menu is

reasonable

More relaxed dining:

Joe Dimaggios (downtown GF), Blue Moose (downtown EGF), Stormy Sledsters {my parents ate there last night, total bill under $20 -- the special was 6oz sirloin steak with baked potato or french fries, soup, salad or coleslaw, chips and sauce apps., a coke and a beer} (downtown GF)

During the day/noon type fare:

Mama Maria's (south GF) -- new Italian cafe -- very good reviews -- (owner's son stationed at GFAFB and his parents moved from the East coast to GF to open an authentic Italian cafe, not the typical scandinavian "Italian" food , or so I've heard) If you go give a review!

Also the ND Museum of Art Cafe is open over the noon hour (located on UND campus) and they have good soup(s). http://www.ndmoa.com/template.cfm?page=coffeebar

After the game:

Italian Moon -- scandinavian pizza and italian food!! :lol: good, greasy, cheap

The Red Pepper -- the one, the only (except for the one in EGF)

There are many more decent dining options -- I tried to list the limited/non-chain restaurants.

kr,

Thanks for the additional info.

We were planning to eat before the game - arrive in GF about 6PM, eat, then arrive the REA for the game. My wife eats kind of slow, so that needs to be taken into consideration. Plus, we'll both likely be wearing jeans, and I'm debating wearing my Sioux jersey to the restaurant or just putting it on when we got to the Ralph.

The wife says anything but a burger or pizza. We aren't much into italian or chinese food. I'm looking for a nice salmon dish, or a good steak :) Anyway, fuel to help me cheer on the team! :lol:

If any of the players read these message boards, I would imagine they get fairly upset with the some fair weather fans and notices of gloom and doom.  I am sure the rage is building a bit, but the refs (with their calls) won't let the beast loose. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

This is always something I've disagreed with. Just because we are fans of the team doesn't mean we have to blindly follow everything they do and aren't allowed to critisize them.

We love the team just as much as anybody and wish to see them succeed as much as the team does.

I haven't heard anybody say "if this team doesn't start winning I'm going to stop going to the games."

River Bend is excellent, but it's a little more upscale i.e. the food takes longer. It's just outside of EGF on Highway 2. Best steaks in town. Too bad that Branigan's moved in and River Bend was forced to jack up their prices. Used to get the 9 oz. filet mignon for under $15. Plus, you get more food at River Bend. Or used too. I haven't been there since I moved to Cali a couple years ago.

River Bend is excellent, but it's a little more upscale i.e. the food takes longer.  It's just outside of EGF on Highway 2.  Best steaks in town.  Too bad that Branigan's moved in and River Bend was forced to jack up their prices.  Used to get the 9 oz. filet mignon for under $15.  Plus, you get more food at River Bend.  Or used too.  I haven't been there since I moved to Cali a couple years ago.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Do you think that Branigans forced River Bend to raise their prices? I doubt it had that kind of impact you think it had.

Do you think that Branigans forced River Bend to raise their prices? I doubt it had that kind of impact you think it had.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yes and No. I don't believe they raised until they started losing business to the pricier Branigan's. At the same time, I believe they had been slowling dwindling in customers and a price raise was inevitable.

This is always something I've disagreed with. Just because we are fans of the team doesn't mean we have to blindly follow everything they do and aren't allowed to critisize them.

We love the team just as much as anybody and wish to see them succeed as much as the team does.

I haven't heard anybody say "if this team doesn't start winning I'm going to stop going to the games."

Maybe you missed what brought on the Rip on Hak thread.

After missing last weekend because he was hit in the eye with a badminton shuttlecock, Nate Raduns is back on a line with Billy Hengen and Matt Hartman. According to Paul Raduns, Nate's father, Nate hadn't missed been injured in 188 straight games of hockey and 21 games of football, dating back to a concussion he suffered as a freshman for Sauk Rapids High School at the state hockey tournament.

Cancel the shuttlecock signs :):lol: