SiouxSports.com Forum

2021 USAToday NCAA D1 Finance Report

northernraider

5 hours ago, nodak651 said:

I'd be curious as to what UND ranks for ticket sales.  Id guess it's pretty close to 50th

Last year's data: NDSU at 60, UND at 68 among public schools. Full DI, probably around 70 and 80, respectively.

The following site uses the same data(though it hasn't been updated for 2020). But the site does allow you to sort and create reports that the USA Today website makes very difficult.

http://cafidatabase.knightcommission.org/

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Hammersmith said:

Last year's data: NDSU at 60, UND at 68 among public schools. Full DI, probably around 70 and 80, respectively.

I'm a tad confused ...

NDSU plays say 8 home FB game at 20k tix per --> 160k
UND plays say 20 home MIH game at 12k tix per --> 240k 

With that UND lead in primary gate sports, how is NDSU claiming more tix sold? Is NDSU really selling that many more hoop stubs? Really? 

1 hour ago, The Sicatoka said:

I'm a tad confused ...

With that UND lead in primary gate sports, how is NDSU claiming more tix sold? Is NDSU really selling that many more hoop stubs? Really? 

Strictly ticket sales, all combined sports, I think within reason, it's impossible for NDSU to have more, or even really close to UND.

Let's give NDSU the 160K tickets for Football. Let's undersell UND Hockey and give them 180K (9K average). Let's undersell UND Football (5 games, Average 7K). 35K for Football. At worst, you have.

• NDSU Football ---> 160K
  • UND Football / Hockey -----> 215K

Let's give NDSU 2X sales for M/W Basketball. Is that 55K? Doubt it. Volleyball? Huge Wrestling / Baseball crowds? It doesn't add up at all.

3 hours ago, The Sicatoka said:

I'm a tad confused ...

Two possibilities I can see. But you also need to understand that the ranking is by money, not numbers of tickets sold. The ticket sales number also only counts the face value of the ticket, not any seat fees(Champions Club dues or Ticketmaster fees) or resale upcharges. So...

1. The higher face value prices of NDSU football and basketball tickets is enough to overcome the larger overall quantity of UND tickets. Also factor in the large number of season tickets in both venues. Those tickets are effectively only sold once no matter how many games they cover. I don't know the breakdown of UND MIH ticket prices, season ticket breakdowns, or student section policies well enough to come up with a number to compare to NDSU FB.*

2. The number UND is reporting for ticket sales is after the REA takes its cut.

Again, those are possibilities. I don't know if they're true or not, just that, if they were, they might explain the discrepancy you perceive there to be.

2019: NDSU - $6,379,573; UND - $4,994,577

2020: NDSU - $6,281,604; UND - $4,919,814

*NDSU FB 2020: 6 home games; Realistic stadium capacity: 18,450; sideline capacity: 12.1k; endzone capacity: 6.3k; season ticket price: $307 sidelines, $237 endzones; number of season tickets: ~13k; student section size: ~3k(split between sideline & endzone), single game tickets available: ~3k; single game ticket price avg: $57 sidelines, $47 endzone.

Using these numbers, a realistic max for NDSU FB would be in the neighborhood of $4.5M/year, maybe up to $4.75M. Plus NDSU makes about $350k per playoff home game, so that normally adds another $1M to the total.

49 minutes ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

The Sioux Shop’s profits ...

Well, um, ... yeah. After they pay suppliers for goods and then sell the goods and pay their employees ... 

The question should be is the Shop paying for space/utilities to REA. 

28 minutes ago, nodak651 said:

Actually no.

I'm saying, how would they give anything but profits? They have to pay suppliers, cover overhead, and make payroll. 

Now what their overhead is could get the ol' stink-eye. (Are they paying "heat" or "floor space" to REA?) 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, BarnWinterSportsEngelstad said:

UND athletic department pays rent to The Ralph as a lease is in place ?
Is this getting confusing ? 

UND doesn't (for the most part) technically pay the ralph rent.  If you're looking at UND's financial statement to the NCAA, I would think that they classify the Ralph's cut of ticket sales and marketing revenue, etc, as rent, which is why I believe such a high number is reported.