SiouxSports.com Forum

Improvements needed?

01grad

Which facet of this teams game needs to be addressed now so it doesn't hinder us of putting banner number 8 in the rafters this year? (Most important in your opinion)  

80 members have voted

1. 1. Which facet of this teams game needs to be addressed now so it doesn't hinder us of putting banner number 8 in the rafters this year? (Most important in your opinion)

• Offense (Need more scoring)
    • Defense (More disciplined)
    • Goaltending
    • Coaching
    • Leadership
    • Passing
    • Speed and endurance
    • Too few games played to be able to decide yet
    • Others

I know it is early still, but I think we really need to find those scoring combinations soon to pair up lines. We also need crisper passing, which should come with time and learning each others ability levels on the ice.

I have been really impressed with our play so far and this poll is in no way saying that we need a ton of improvement and we should be worried because we lost a game. This team will bounce back and it is important to always be critical of performance to improve. Just wanted to see what others forsee as trouble spots for us this year that we need to work on right now to be the best we can be. Every team isn't perfect, but we all know that the Sioux are closer than any other team year in and year out!!!

GO SIOUX!!!

I have been really impressed with our play so far

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Did you mean to say you haven't been too impressed with their play? Because if you did, I completely agree. Despite their won/loss record and their solid performance at Maine, I haven't been impressed with much of anything UND's done.

Although I expected better play, I won't get too worked up yet especially considering the loss of Blais, Parise and Bo. BUT, after watching their last four games in person, I am surprised by a few things:

One, how in the world have they given up roughly 30 shots a game (40 in one) to a team picked eighth in the league (Mankato) and a team laden with freshmen (Minnesota)? Defense was supposed to be UND's strength. The defense certainly is talented and experienced, but giving up that many shots is very unexpected and likely - to Hakstol and fans alike - unacceptable.

Second, how have the two teams mentioned above held UND, despite their lack of returning scoring, to approximately 20 shots a game?! Truly, I think that shocks me more than the defensive 'woes.' Three shots in the first period on Saturday against UM? I cannot imagine that even being possible. Does it come down to lack of effort; lack of intensity; struggles with the closely called games; adjustment to the new coach; or all the above? Whatever the reason, it is a bit troubling.

Splitting with the Gophs at home is no reason to panic as the two teams typically seem to split games despite the venue, the level of talent, the season ('02 being the exception) etc. But, it is how poorly UND played during the split that is cause for some concern.

The only problem is the lack of shots on goal. What I see is the forwards cycling the puck well but not getting the shot off or they are waiting for the perfect shot. Also the passing needs to get alot better that was the major reason on sat. They will get better.

Did you mean to say you haven't been too impressed with their play? Because if you did, I completely agree. Despite their won/loss record and their solid performance at Maine, I haven't been impressed with much of anything UND's done.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have been relatively impressed with our overall play though it has looked a bit disorganized and we haven't looked like the teams of the past. We still have won and seen some positives in goaltending and defense (penalty kill). Things are just coming together very slowly this year. We did loose leadership in Bochenski and Parise as goal scorers and the younger freshmen and sophmores are getting a few good chances and converting here and there. I think they will make very quick strides to become great as players in the past have. As some people have mentioned we do need to shoot the puck much more. This is how we have been so successful in the past. We never used to get outshot.

I say that they need better defense they were kind of sloppy this weekend. I know i can't vote twice but i also think that they need to work a lot on power plays. i noticed that this weekends series with the Gofers the Sioux could not keep control of the puck on power play as well as they did...if we need to be good anywhere it needs to be here.....

I think they got what they needed....Beat by a team that is less than stellar this year!

Although I don't know as much as I think I do about hockey, I think the best thing that came out of Saturday's game was McMahon showing what he's made of! Outside of that, I saw disorganization and lack of precision (which, we as Sioux fans are used to).

Most of the things listed, any team in the Nation could use! However, it's hard to rate what a team needs more after a game like Saturday night! Thinking back to the Maine series, I remember effort throughout, but after recalling Saturday night (which is hard to choke down), I didn't see too many things that were working well!

I'd have to say that the reffing was less than consistent, but either way, this team needs to realize that fast/physical/smart play pays off in the end. Didn't see any of that on Saturday night! I couldn't do better, but I KNOW they can! It's early, and sometimes a good wake-up call like this is what propels excellence!

Look forward to the next home series (won't look back for quite some time)....Saturday repressed!

I think the team needs a "spark plug" and someone to step up and take control! Whoever thought that losing a couple graduating seniors, and Bochenski, Parise would not hurt us was Dreaming! Take a look at how much they would control the game? I think we do have some great talent here, but I will wait a few weeks to judge further!

Anytime you lose 6-0 to a team on your home ice, there is some reason for concern! There was very little intensity for the game Saturday. There were some flashes, but intensity, crisp passing, and getting shots on net weren't there!

We were a step behind most of the weekend! Is that from being in shape? I don't know, but....the teams in the past were great with their speed, and beating the other teams to the pucks whether it was on the forecheck, or simply trying to break out of our zone.

It's early, and sometimes a good wake-up call like this is what propels excellence!

Good call Hopper, I completely agree. That type of loss is something that the team can build on, and is absolutely necessary for a rallying point. Its something they didn't see all of last year (save maybe Wisconsin), and really helps motivate a team.

Instead of declaring a state-wide emergency, they need to take care of business next weekend; and they'll be in good shape.

Its much better that a loss like that happens now, rather than later. Think of the meeting we'll have with MN in the playoffs, NCAA or WCHA, and the type of motivation a game like this gives us. I can't wait to see that.

I said goaltending because that is always an unknown area that needs constant improvement.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

State of hockey UND is much beter in goal than Minnesota is, UofM has two really good goalies in Parise and Lammy, you have one goalie to count on. Briggs, yep Minnesota is awesome in net.

In my opinion, the lack of offense, defense, and all-around sound play were the result of one thing: Lack of effort. I suspect that the boys went out on Friday night after their big victory, got drunk, and maybe got laid too. On Saturday they appeared tired, slow, and a step behind the Gophers from the very beginning of the game. Credit Minnesota for playing an all-around solid game too but the Sioux simply didn't have the energy, the legs, or the will to win on Saturday.

By the way, I didn't see Prpich out there during the 3rd period. Does anyone know what happened to him? Did the coach purposely not play him for fear that he'd mix it up in the 3rd period?

You didn't mention faceoffs. The only player who is capable of winning a face off for UND is McMahon. I was in UND's 1st and third period defensive ends both nights, and I don't think they won more than 10 faceoffs. The first goal on Saturday for the gophs came directly because the Sioux lost the draw, and lost it badly.... :lol:

After seeing how the refs are going to call the games under the 'new guidelines', I question if players like Greene and Jones are more helpful than they are hurtful. Greene is an incredible player, but does he do the team any good when he is not allowed to play his game? Same goes with Smaby and Jones.

I think Jones will be able to adjust, but I'm not so sure about Smaby and Greene. The Maine series showed how much of an asset these guys can be, the refs called it tight but for the most part allowed them to play their game. I cannot comment on the Kato series, but on Fri Anderson did not allow the Sioux D to play their game. It nearly cost the Sioux the game. On Sat, the Sioux played very timid trying to pokecheck, not tying up their man.

As far as the offense goes, I think it is too early to say much about them. Clearly they are not playing well together. Genoway is having a good year, but he is a set up guy, he is not going to score a ton of goals. Murray and Stafford need to step it up. Porter was one of the better players last weekend, he is never going to score a ton of points, but his forechecking abilities should help create scoring opportunities. I'd give the offense a couple more weeks to see if they start gelling before I'd start to worry.

Goaltending has been good. Even on Sat Parise looked OK, it could have been much worse after the 1st period.

Remember last year? The beating the Sioux put on the Gophers was great, but later in the season the Gophers caught up. I think the Sioux showed some character on Fri night. They have the talent, they just need to gel together as a team.

You didn't mention faceoffs.  The only player who is capable of winning a face off for UND is McMahon.  I was in UND's 1st and third period defensive ends both nights, and I don't think they won more than 10 faceoffs.  The first goal on Saturday for the gophs came directly because the Sioux lost the draw, and lost it badly.... :lol:

I've only watched these 2 games but I thought we are better on face-offs than recent years. I think we won the face-off battle both nights. At least both nights we led after 2 periods on face-off stats.

Zajac won several.

Many good posts on this subject. I am concerned that we are not generating shots, giving up too many shots, etc. However, the biggest disappointiment is the lackadaisical play. The 1st 3 goals on Saturday were the result of forwards (not defensemen) leaving Gopher players all alone. The 1st goal, which was a beautiful tip by Tallackson, was the result of losing the faceoff and the forward not picking Tallackson up. The second and third goals, by Potulny and Hagemo, were the result of being left all alone at the top of the circle. Where were the forwards? They are either running around or sitting back not picking up a man. Either way, it is unacceptable. Those were 3 easy goals, and the Gophers could have had a few more. By contrast, our defense could not get off clean shots because the Gopher forwards were all over them. Similarly, our forwards were not allowed many good scoring chances in the slot.

It may be strong to say it was lack of effort, but it certainly was poor defensive coverage, not just by the D, but especially the forwards. This team needs to go back to good old hard work and work on defensive play followed by passing and receiving passes. The breakouts were horrible because the passes were always behind rather than on the tape, and none of the forwards could catch a pass.

I realize it is early, but that was one of the ugliest, most uninspired losses that I have ever seen, and I have been a season ticket holder for many years.

It reminded me of a game my men's league team played in last year in a tournament up in Steamboat, CO. We went out and got drunk Saturday night and then played just awful Sunday afternoon. It felt like we had lead in our skates. There was no will to pick up our man, chase down lose pucks, or hustle. Watching the Sioux on Saturday reminded me of that. You could see the lack of fundamentals from the onset when you watch that opening faceoff down in the Sioux zone when they were scored on. Lot's of eyes watching the puck but no feet were moving.

I remember the radio guys talking about clearing the front of the net as being the cause of at least one of the goals on Saturday. The guy said that our defense "just didn't want to clear the front of the net." Well, I say they couldn't clear the front of the net. No, I'm not saying that those Gopher players were too strong. I'm saying that, if we even tried, it would have meant a 5 on 3. On Friday, nearly every time we cleared the front of our net, we got called.

I think the officials and bad habits have made our team less physical, less imposing, and less dangerous.

Haven't voted yet... didn't see heart or chemistry on the list. :D I don't know why I stayed for the 3rd period on Saturday... when they skated out for the third, you could see what was going to happen. Talk about being beaten... dissapointed would be an understatement.

Were the line combinations changed for Sat vs. Fri? I thought they were, but I may be wrong. If so, WTF? :silly::lol:

I predict Lammy playin the next game.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I want him to be in goal too! He played wonderfully at MSU. I personally think they should have put him in the second game at Minnesota instead of Jordan. What was Hakstol thinking, playing him 2 nights? Oh well, he probably thought it would be best.

I want him to be in goal too! He played wonderfully at MSU. I personally think they should have put him in the second game at Minnesota instead of Jordan. What was Hakstol thinking, playing him 2 nights? Oh well, he probably thought it would be best.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

He was thinking that JPar beat a very good team early on in the season. So he went with the "hot" goaltender. To be honest, I'm not sure if JPar is entirely at fault for the last 2 goals he let in. The first goal was something he could do nothing to stop.

I was in line and someone told me that JPar would be the odd man out down the road, warming some pine. Well, I'm thinking that Brandt may be the odd man out, not JPar. It stinks because he's a senior and he's not all 100 percent (if that leg injury is true), but I really think JPar is the better goalie.

I also think that, after last weekend's adventure, a lot more of you will understand why Hak and Blais subscribed to the rotation method of goaltending.