SiouxSports.com Forum

Improvements needed?

01grad

Which facet of this teams game needs to be addressed now so it doesn't hinder us of putting banner number 8 in the rafters this year? (Most important in your opinion)  

80 members have voted

1. 1. Which facet of this teams game needs to be addressed now so it doesn't hinder us of putting banner number 8 in the rafters this year? (Most important in your opinion)

• Offense (Need more scoring)
    • Defense (More disciplined)
    • Goaltending
    • Coaching
    • Leadership
    • Passing
    • Speed and endurance
    • Too few games played to be able to decide yet
    • Others

The power play could use a little work.  There was a huge difference between the Gophers PP and UND's.  It was fun (in a sadistic way) to watch the Gophers operate on the PP.  They could do anything they wanted.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Speaking of Powerplay, when was the last time our Powerplay was truly dangerous?

In game 2, the Sioux made a concious effort to abandon the hard physical play they executed on Friday, and it failed miserably. The Gophs skated freely, and had energy for all three periods. However, the previous night's hitting was excessive, and with all the 5-3's could have easily gone the other way in scoring.

There is a happy medium, perhaps biased towards the physical play, that will bring this team good results. Saturday was a debacle that probably needed to happen. It was such a combination of crap that this weeks areas of focus in practice are no doubt plentiful.

I think our d-corps is outstanding. I hope they continue to play hard and punish the opposing teams forwards. They just need to work on keeping it legal. Multiple cross-checking calls are inexcusable. And, some of those open ice hits, while great highlight shots, were uncalled penalties. Need to clean this up.

The forwards need time to click. It will come.

This is hockey. You play poorly, take your beating, and then go home to regroup and hopefully to return the favor in the future.

taz digs this team

Speaking of Powerplay, when was the last time our Powerplay was truly dangerous?

I get frustrated with our power play but to be honest, I think it is improving. At times this weekend it looked very good. At times very poor. But I think it's improving.

I think our d-corps is outstanding.  I hope they continue to play hard and punish the opposing teams forwards.  They just need to work on keeping it legal.  Multiple cross-checking calls are inexcusable. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Especially in front of the Ref while your already two men down. Thats not good.

It has been said that the Parise / Bochenski combo took with them to the NHL about 25% of the Sioux team scoring from last season. From what I have seen so far this season, it may be about 25% on paper, but on the ice I would say the Parise / Bochenski combo took about 50%. There is no question that the #'s put up by others on the Sioux team were enhanced by Parise and Bucks. Who will step forward and lead this team in offense? Right now it looks like two freshmen.

Does anyone else feel that lack of "edge of your seat player" on this Sioux team?

For the past few years there has always been "an edge of your seat player" to watch.

'03-'04 Parise / Bo

'02-'03 Parise / Bo / Noterman

'01-'02 Bayda / Bo / Skarperud

'00 -'01 Panzer / Lundbohm / Bayda

'99 -'00 Panzer / Goren / Lundbohm

Who will it be in '04-'05?

Does anyone else feel that lack of "edge of your seat player" on this Sioux team?

For the past few years there has always been "an edge of your seat player" to watch.

'03-'04  Parise / Bo

'02-'03  Parise / Bo / Noterman

'01-'02  Bayda / Bo / Skarperud

'00 -'01 Panzer / Lundbohm / Bayda

'99 -'00 Panzer / Goren / Lundbohm

Who will it be in '04-'05?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

In my opinion, an edge of the seat player has yet to emerge this season, although Genoway scoring four points on the four goals scored against the Gophers last Friday is what could be expected from an edge of the seat type player.

I think both Murray and Stafford have the capabilities. Will it come through on the ice though is another question. Off topic - I know Murray put on 15 pounds this past summer, does he seem a tad slower to any of you? Back to topic.

Although I don't think the '02 team really had an edge of the seat player, Bayda could always be counted on to do something - Skarperud did not have me on the edge of my seat and neither did Bo at that point (despite being rookie of the year), but he did show the signs though.

I do think your list can be extended back much farther - back to the late 70's from Mark Taylor to Doug Smail to Phil Sykes to Tony Hrkac to Steve Johnson to Greg Johnson to Landon Wilson (not real dynamic, but always interesting) to Jason Blake to most of the guys you mentioned. (The players I named are not an exclusive list btw).

I hope that type of player emerges this season, if for no other reason than it makes watching the games a little more exciting.

Murray and/or Stafford could become these players. I think its good that Murray gained that weight. He can now be a little more physical and not get knocked around as easy. I dont think he has slowed down much if at all.

Murray looks really fast from what I saw. And I noted he put a pretty good lick on a gopher during one of the games. Good for him.

From what I've seen of Stafford, he looks really slow to me and will need to be the type of player who knows where to be at the right time, like Brett Hull.

We need a forward who will be aggressive on the opposite end of the rink and in the neutral zone. Somebody who can pester the other team and make it tough for them to get the puck out of their zone and up the ice. I think Spirko would be great at this. He kind of reminds me of the Panzers, Blake and Spiewak. This was really exciting to watch and with our big "D" at the other end, I don't think this would hurt us too much.

Who, also will be the sniper on the team to take Travis Roche and Brandon Bochenski's place? The only way we will probably get goals (until somebody can fill this role) is when we are right on the doorstep, which doesn't happen all that often.

Also, where have all of our exciting breakaways gone the past couple of years? Parise had a few, but the clutch and grab usually slowed him. Murray should be able to fill this void as he had a couple of opportunities lately. But, it would be nice to have Spirko and a couple others do this more.

I personally think these are reasons why our team isn't as exciting as teams of the past. Hopefull these voids will be filled and the games will become more enjoyable.

Hopefully Hakstol still has all of the old tires at the rink still to conduct the passing drills that Blais designed. This would be a perfect week to work on getting the puck up the ice, passing between the tires.

Yes, in watching the 2 games on TV every time Spirko had the puck I was paying close attention. He's fun to watch.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree. It's really nice to have someone as flashy as Spirko on the team. Right now, though, Stafford needs to step up. Also, although Zajac didn't fair too badly last weekend, I think he could use less hype to help him get adjusted. I feel like he's being seen as this superstar, the next ZPar, before the season is fully in swing.

Murray is indeed doing well, even when he was playing injured. Although it would be an interesting line defensively, I wonder what it would be like if Zajac, Murray, and Spirko shared the same line?

I don't think Murray slowed down. In fact, he has really stepped up his play. If not on the score sheet, he has really matured his forecheck. I watched him on Friday against MN, and he is becoming really good at gaining the zone, but from there it kind of fizzles. What he could use is a trailer to drop pass to for the shot.

He is really fast, and has some great moves. He hasn't done much for the score sheet, but I think he looks more mature. If we can get our speedy forwards to gain the zone, drop to a sniper, then we can set up from there. The key is getting deeper in the zone, and getting a body in front of the net. The cycling isn't doing a whole lot, especially when we can't keep control.

Sorry to get off topic there, but I think the team is in great shape, and I enjoy not having the "one" go-to player. In the long run it could really make the team gel better.

I don't think Murray slowed down.  In fact, he has really stepped up his play.  If not on the score sheet, he has really matured his forecheck.  I watched him on Friday against MN, and he is becoming really good at gaining the zone, but from there it kind of fizzles.  What he could use is a trailer to drop pass to for the shot.

He is really fast, and has some great moves.  He hasn't done much for the score sheet, but I think he looks more mature.  If we can get our speedy forwards to gain the zone, drop to a sniper, then we can set up from there.  The key is getting deeper in the zone, and getting a body in front of the net.  The cycling isn't doing a whole lot, especially when we can't keep control.

Sorry to get off topic there, but I think the team is in great shape, and I enjoy not having the "one" go-to player.  In the long run it could really make the team gel better.

I agree. I noticed Murray was constantly dropping the biscuit but no one was there. Or if there was they had the wrong color jersey on. Don't know his injury but maybe he didn't want to carry the puck deeper or shoot himself for some reason and that's why he kept doing this. I was thinking he needs to be more aware if anyone is following him.

If your forwards are coming back hard in the neutral zone, your defensemen can "stand up" at their own blue line against oncoming puckcarriers. The gaps I saw between the Gophers puck carriers and the Sioux defensemen were about one half of a zone, way too much space. Once the Gophers got into our zone, the defensemen were at the tops of the faceoff circles by the net. too much time and space to give to anybody. This all breaks down from where the third Sioux forward is in the offensive zone. If he is high in the slot, he is not only in good position to receive a pass and take a shot on goal, but he is in excellent defensive postition to backcheck (and not on the puck carrier) to help out the D-men so they can "hold the line." Saturday's debacle was a team effort, although I find little fault with the goal tending, that were pretty much hung out to dry all night.

Hey, remember, even the best teams have an "off night" once in a while. Hak and his staff know how to correct the problem of the team. Give them a chance to regroup and come out smoking vs BC on Friday. Remember, the team is 4-1-1. Not too shabby.

Hey, remember, even the best teams have an "off night" once in a while.  Hak and his staff know how to correct the problem of the team.  Give them a chance to regroup and come out smoking vs BC on Friday.  Remember, the team is 4-1-1.  Not too shabby.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I hope so. But I have not seen a full 60 minutes by this team yet. I am optomistic of the season and the Coaches getting things together, that is unless we are still talking about this after the St. Clown series. :lol:

Smaby should have lifted with Murray this summer hes 6'5 200 and Murray is 5'9 185 come on he should bulk a lil.

Someone might correct my memory here but I heard Fabian interviewed between periods of a game on the radio earlier this year and I believe he said he came into the zone and Smaby hit him harder than he's ever been hit in his life.

He was talking about how he's told the rookies that if they can survive in practice against our defensemen, they'll do just fine in the rest of the league because our guys beat you up.