SiouxSports.com Forum

Non-UND College Hockey 2020-21

cberkas

29 minutes ago, SiouxFanatic said:

So maybe Denver is actually not good? Sure they don’t have Brink but they shouldn’t be struggling this badly. 

Rather than discuss their team’s inability to score more than a goal or two per game, they’d rather whine about the commercials. 

Full Disclosure: I too found some of the ads these past few weeks annoying and repetitive.

https://letsgodu.com/2020/12/20/which-north-dakota-commercial-is-most-annoying/#more-76815

11 hours ago, AlphaMikeFoxtrot said:

Their tournament streak is toast. 

Denver's?   I wouldn't be so quick to count them out.  Bobby Brink is like our Shane Pinto, and they had a little more transition to do from last year on the back end.  Let's just hope they don't get back in it at our expense.  

3 hours ago, tnt said:

Denver's?   I wouldn't be so quick to count them out.  Bobby Brink is like our Shane Pinto, and they had a little more transition to do from last year on the back end.  Let's just hope they don't get back in it at our expense.  

There's not a good route for them other than winning the conference tournament. The rest of their games are against the first place team and two teams exceeding expectations. There's also no guarantee of games being played as scheduled. It's not impossible but they dug themselves a hole. 

Talking NCHC Pod and how things look the second half. My biggest takeaway and I'm very relieved that the two groups are similar in terms of talent. In a year where your conference record means everything, it would have been tough to watch someone win the league based mostly on the teams they were surrounded with. 

Some of my high level observations:

Tier 1

• UND: This one is tough. They didn't look great the first couple of games. Kawaguchi for example looked really slow. Injuries, losing two to WJ's. They turned it around. 29 looked like a Hobey Finalist. Mismash looks like the guy we all hoped he would be. Valuable minutes for everyone. It's clear to me that when at full strength they are the best team in the NCHC. They just need to hold on until then.
  • Duluth: Impressed. Better than I thought given who they lost. A very good team 
  • SCSU: Impressed. Better than I thought going into the year. 

Tier 2

• Omaha: This is based on schedule / scoreboard watching. The only team I didn't watch play. They played Duluth / SCSU well. Losing / Going to OT vs Miami is surprising. Six / Ten games against CC, Miami, Western. 

Tier 3

• Denver: It's a what was expected as I thought they were a Clear 1B starting the year, "unlucky" in one goal games to start out the Pod. Their last 5 games were not good. 1 / 1 vs Miami. Loss / OT vs Western. I do think they will be better second half. Brink coming back is big. Pretty big sample size. They aren't what most thought. I do think they'll be better 2nd half, but a step or two down from expectations. Tough Pod schedule. 6 of 10 games against my Tier 1 teams.

Tier 4

• CC: Only played 8 games. Played Duluth (win) and SCSU (OT loss) very well. So, why Tier 4? SO / Loss to Western. Not competitive vs Omaha. SO vs Miami. 8 Games, they played a total of 2 vs Tier 1. Weakest schedule.

Tier 5

• WesternLosing their Goalie, brutal start giving up 18. Fought back to look somewhat competitive. Goaltending is the Key. With it, they are Tier 4.

Tier 6

• Miami: This was the team when watching UND play against that I thought there was the biggest talent discrepancy. As they proved, Goaltending can steal games, but this is the only team I would have a hard time picturing UND actually lose to.

On 12/21/2020 at 6:07 AM, tnt said:

To your point about Denver....

https://www.uscho.com/2020/12/22/denver-adds-ajhl-veteran-works-for-rest-of-2020-21-hockey-season/?fbclid=IwAR0TjKPCl4pu_hOK7-oFnNStMiDhBrkszewPCEt57phAEoIbxtalQkXMEN8