SiouxSports.com Forum

Bye, Bye Bochenski

SIOUXPR

Lets hope he doesnt turn into a Travis Roche and be a lifer in the AHL

If Roche can get out of the Wild organization he will be fine. He is playing extremely well for the Houston Aeros. Several weeks ago I was at a wedding. Some of Roche's teammates and a person within the Wild organization was there also. His problem is that he somehow got into Jacques Lameire's doghouse, and I was told that once you get into his doghouse it is impossible to get out. His teammates said they are amazed at what Travis can do on the ice. It sounded like he is dominating at the AHL level like he did when he was at UND. If he can somehow get traded, I suspect we would see him in the NHL.

That same day, there was also a wedding ( former Gopher Reggie Berg) in The Cities at the Basilica. Lots of talk about Vaneks attitude issues and the things he did last year. There isn't a lot of sympathy for him in his inability to secure a deal from Buffalo. I think the best thing that could happen, if your a Sioux fan, would be for Vanek to be left with no other choice than to return to college. He doesn't want to do that and his attitude would probably be worse than last year. He was a handful for the captains and the coaches last winter.

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's been a busy summer and I don't get much time to read the message boards so I somehow missed the news that Roche was traded. It must have happened soon after the weddings because the guys there didn't know anything about it. Hopefully he will get his shot at the NHL now.

Clayton, it's a late summer Friday afternoon. There shouldn't be any fallout today. :) Anyway, I'm just repeating what was told by Gopher parents/players. :D

What you're suggesting is that the Gophers would be better without Vanek than with him??? :huh:

C'mon!!! Let's not let any personal bias get in the way of common sense. He's a great player and his mere presence makes them a much better team.

I agree with Rick and pray the Gophers will be "stuck" with Vanek next year and the following one! :):D??????

Any possibility that Bochenksi is actually academically inelgible and has no plans on returning to the Sioux?

No chance as best I know Windsor.

Last I heard, Bo was flying high in the rocket science department.

With a minor in currency art.

Hey, if we can't laugh at ourselves, who can we laugh at?

Bo may want to take the money, if it is there. Bo should know that the money will only get better after he spearheads an NC and takes home the Hobey to boot.

Here's saying that he's a lock to stay in school, and that October Sky is one of his favorite movies.

ps. Vanek is toast with the Gophers. His choice or theirs. He has strapped on the brown and yellow for the last time.

"If Roche can get out of the Wild organization he will be fine. He is playing extremely well for the Houston Aeros. Several weeks ago I was at a wedding. Some of Roche's teammates and a person within the Wild organization was there also. His problem is that he somehow got into Jacques Lameire's doghouse, and I was told that once you get into his doghouse it is impossible to get out. His teammates said they are amazed at what Travis can do on the ice. It sounded like he is dominating at the AHL level like he did when he was at UND. If he can somehow get traded, I suspect we would see him in the NHL.

That same day, there was also a wedding ( former Gopher Reggie Berg) in The Cities at the Basilica. Lots of talk about Vaneks attitude issues and the things he did last year. There isn't a lot of sympathy for him in his inability to secure a deal from Buffalo. I think the best thing that could happen, if your a Sioux fan, would be for Vanek to be left with no other choice than to return to college. He doesn't want to do that and his attitude would probably be worse than last year. He was a handful for the captains and the coaches last winter."

Stunning how connected you are. We will see about Roche. Maybe he will get a better shot at the NHL with Atlanta. However, it is not looking good for this coming year.

DaveK, if serious, is correct. You have worn out the Vanek stuff to the point that it is time to get some new material.

DaveK, if serious, is correct. You have worn out the Vanek stuff to the point that it is time to get some new material.

The stuff about Vanek being a cancer has been out there in the media for a while, however, no one wants to believe it. Must be something to it if it keeps coming up.

Any possibility that Bochenksi is actually academically inelgible and has no plans on returning to the Sioux?

This is what I was told, that being said, even if he doesn't sign we won't be seeing him in a Sioux uniform next year.

"The stuff about Vanek being a cancer has been out there in the media for a while, however, no one wants to believe it. Must be something to it if it keeps coming up."

Maybe so. However I woudn't go so far as to say no one believes it. Thomas Vanek has a ego and whines. Sound like any other athletes you know? How big of a revelation is that? The idea that it is presented as "inside" information from a certain source and it continues to come up is what is getting old.

To me it doesn't really matter if Vanek or any other player is a supposed cancer. That is up to the head coach to deal with. However, to say that Minnesota is better off without Vanek is to deny that Vanek brings offensive skills to the table like very few else in College Hockey. Does seem to be a personal bias getting in the way like DakeK said.

BTW,

If Bochenski doesn't play another game for the Sioux it still has been a heck of a run for him at UND. He has proven his doubters wrong including me, who didn't think his skating was good enough. Best of luck to him at the next level.

The stuff about Vanek being a cancer has been out there in the media for a while, however, no one wants to believe it. Must be something to it if it keeps coming up.

I have no doubt that much of what Rick spews about Vanek and the Gophers is based on truth. He just typically extends it a little to try to get under Gopher fans' skin. He is clearly the most polished Sioux fan in that reguard.

The other thing is that being a locker room "cancer" and actually being detrimental to a teams performance are usually independent items. At times during select games last year I'm sure Vanek was both. However, when you look at the Gophers as whole as ask whether they are better with or without Vanek, the answer will always be that they are better with him.

That said, I do hope he gets his contract. As a Gopher fan, he came through we they needed him most in '03 and I won't ask for more. If he is left with no choice but to return, I hope he takes a good look in the mirror and works to improve in all aspects.

Looks like Vanek is history:

From today's PP:

Vanek likely to turn pro

BY BRUCE BROTHERS

Pioneer Press

Gophers hockey star Thomas Vanek is as good as gone.

Vanek, a two-year scoring phenom at the University of Minnesota who was a first-round draft pick of the Buffalo Sabres last June, reportedly has begun negotiations and is expected to sign a pro contract with the Sabres in the near future.

The 6-foot-2, 207-pound left wing from Austria led the Gophers in scoring as a freshman and a sophomore and was selected the most outstanding player of the Frozen Four when he led Minnesota to its second consecutive NCAA championship in 2003.

Sabres general manager Darcy Regier told the Associated Press he has had preliminary talks with Vanek's advisers, and said he believes Vanek, 20, is up to the challenge of pro hockey.

"I think you can always accomplish more no matter where you are. But I think there's another question and that's, 'Is there another step he's ready to make?' " Regier said. "And certainly I think he's ready to play at the American Hockey League level, and maybe even at the National Hockey League level."

The AHL affiliate of Buffalo, which drafted Vanek fifth overall last June, is the Rochester Americans.

Gophers coach Don Lucia, although he's not a believer of anyone leaving college to play minor league hockey, has always encouraged his players to take the big money if it's offered.

"I think it all boils down to is if Buffalo wants to sign him," Lucia told the AP. "And if they do in fact want to sign him, what kind of contract are they willing to give him to have him leave school?"

Vanek led all freshmen in scoring with 62 points in his first season and has 57 goals and 56 assists for 113 points in 83 games for the Gophers.

That article is from mid-to-late May.

Here is what everyone was talking about.

I guess the Gophers lose another one.

I honestly don't like seeing these kids signing early. No matter what team. I think Donny Lucia has a point. But that is what happens when you sign top players to play at top flight schools. I guess the Gophers aren't immune from it either.

Gophers' Taylor signs pro contract with Rangers

BY BRUCE BROTHERS

Pioneer Press

Sophomore Jake Taylor became the second defenseman to sign a pro contract and leave the University of Minnesota men's hockey team, putting the Gophers in a bit of a hole on defense this season.

Taylor, 21, a native of Rochester, Minn., who played 39 games as a freshman at Minnesota, agreed to terms last week and Wednesday officially signed a three-year contract with the New York Rangers reportedly worth a minimum of $700,000 and including a bonus of $450,000.

Earlier this summer, senior defenseman Keith Ballard signed a hefty contract with the Phoenix Coyotes of the NHL. The Gophers also lost part-time defenseman Joey Martin, a senior last year, and junior defenseman P.J. Atherton is reportedly planning to take a redshirt year this season. Last summer, defenseman Paul Martin signed with the New Jersey Devils after his junior season.

"We're disappointed that Jake has decided to move on to professional hockey," coach Don Lucia said. "Jake was a tremendous competitor and a first-class young man. Although I don't agree with his decision, I wish him nothing but the best."

Taylor, a 6-foot-4, 220-pounder who had two goals and six assists for eight points last season, "is another of our organization's core of young talent," Rangers general manager Glen Sather said. "He is a defenseman who combines size and skill effectively to make him an impact player at both ends of the ice."

Minnesota has three recruits signed to play defense as freshmen this season: Alex Goligoski of Grand Rapids, Minn., Nate Hagemo of Edina and Derek Peltier of Plymouth. The Gophers open their regular season against defending national champion Denver in the U.S. Hockey Hall of Fame Game Oct. 9 at the Xcel Energy Center.

Briefly: Matt Koalska, a St. Paul native who was a senior forward for the Gophers last season, is reportedly in the process of completing a contract with the New York Islanders.

Edited by Goon

Here is what everyone was talking about.

I guess the Gophers lose another one.

I honestly don't like seeing these kids signing early. No matter what team. I think Donny Lucia has a point. But that is what happens when you sign top players to play at top flight schools. I guess the Gophers aren't immune from it either.

Gophers' Taylor signs pro contract with Rangers

BY BRUCE BROTHERS

Pioneer Press

Sophomore Jake Taylor became the second defenseman to sign a pro contract and leave the University of Minnesota men's hockey team, putting the Gophers in a bit of a hole on defense this season.

Taylor, 21, a native of Rochester, Minn., who played 39 games as a freshman at Minnesota, agreed to terms last week and Wednesday officially signed a three-year contract with the New York Rangers reportedly worth a minimum of $700,000 and including a bonus of $450,000.

Earlier this summer, senior defenseman Keith Ballard signed a hefty contract with the Phoenix Coyotes of the NHL. The Gophers also lost part-time defenseman Joey Martin, a senior last year, and junior defenseman P.J. Atherton is reportedly planning to take a redshirt year this season. Last summer, defenseman Paul Martin signed with the New Jersey Devils after his junior season.

"We're disappointed that Jake has decided to move on to professional hockey," coach Don Lucia said. "Jake was a tremendous competitor and a first-class young man. Although I don't agree with his decision, I wish him nothing but the best."

Taylor, a 6-foot-4, 220-pounder who had two goals and six assists for eight points last season, "is another of our organization's core of young talent," Rangers general manager Glen Sather said. "He is a defenseman who combines size and skill effectively to make him an impact player at both ends of the ice."

Minnesota has three recruits signed to play defense as freshmen this season: Alex Goligoski of Grand Rapids, Minn., Nate Hagemo of Edina and Derek Peltier of Plymouth. The Gophers open their regular season against defending national champion Denver in the U.S. Hockey Hall of Fame Game Oct. 9 at the Xcel Energy Center.

Briefly: Matt Koalska, a St. Paul native who was a senior forward for the Gophers last season, is reportedly in the process of completing a contract with the New York Islanders.

Interesting in how UofM always criticizes us for the overage freshman. Taylr was an old 19year old or young 20 year old as a freshman. :lol:

As for Koalska, good for him. For me, Gophers are only Gophers until they leave the program, then they are another former college player, which I will support if and when they make the NHL regardless of where they are from. I admit it will be hard to root for Taylor (being as though he is a bit of a thug and, on offense PCM, he's a Ranger).

Interesting in how UofM always criticizes us for the overage freshman.  Taylr was an old 19year old or young 20 year old as a freshman.  :lol:

sorry, but there is a HUGE difference between a 19-20 year frosh vs. your 28 year old frosh. :p:)

WPoS

I guess the Gophers aren't immune from it either.

Only deluded Gopher fans thought the "M" had a magic aura that would keep players all four years. The majority of the players who can get solid offers will leave, I don't care where they attend.

Between Taffe, Martin, Ballard and likely Vanek, it is the P. Martin departure that hurt the most. Add Martin and his 25 minutes of ice time to last years Gophers and I doubt we'd be hearing about Vanek's attitude issues. Less than 60 days. :lol: