SiouxSports.com Forum

Bye, Bye Bochenski

SIOUXPR

First, cfn567b27 is correct. Until the Ottawa puts out the press release the deal isn't done: Very similar to the Vanek situation. (Let's face it, in terms of "cheap" Ottawa's in Buffalo's realm.)

Then again sagard said, "Seems as though my favorite team is not likely done losing players either." Hey, what exactly do you mean when you say players. Is there someone beyond Vanek?

• Replies 313
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is the part of college sports that I hate as a fan. It must be really frusturating for the coaches to try and plan for the upcoming season when players bolt like this. There is no loyalty at all with these guys anymore. Usually when a rumor like this starts it turns out to be true most of the time. Good luck in the AHL.

First, cfn567b27 is correct. Until the Ottawa puts out the press release the deal isn't done: Very similar to the Vanek situation. (Let's face it, in terms of "cheap" Ottawa's in Buffalo's realm.)

Then again sagard said, "Seems as though my favorite team is not likely done losing players either." Hey, what exactly do you mean when you say players. Is there someone beyond Vanek?

I have no direct insight, just what the shooter put in his column last week. He implied more defensemen may not return.

This is the part of college sports that I hate as a fan. It must be really frusturating for the coaches to try and plan for the upcoming season when players bolt like this. There is no loyalty at all with these guys anymore. Usually when a rumor like this starts it turns out to be true most of the time. Good luck in the AHL.

I agree. There is leaving the team the way ZP did - giving plenty of notice allowing the coaches to adjust as needed; and this way - ditching the team at the last minute. Obviously I don't know the entire situation, but I cannot see how this makes any sense. Even if there is an NHL next season Bochenski is not going to crack the Sens lineup. I can't imagine they are going to offer him a big signing bonus, he isn't closes to their top recruit. I wish him the best in whatever he does, but going out this way is not very classy IMO.

The Sicatoka - Rumors abound. Taylor is allegedly close to signing with the NYR & Atherton is apparently taking a year off due to a family situation. Remember, the latter tidbit comes from Charlie Walters....aka Sid Lite....and the former comes from message board rumors.

I agree. There is leaving the team the way ZP did - giving plenty of notice allowing the coaches to adjust as needed; and this way - ditching the team at the last minute. Obviously I don't know the entire situation, but I cannot see how this makes any sense. Even if there is an NHL next season Bochenski is not going to crack the Sens lineup. I can't imagine they are going to offer him a big signing bonus, he isn't closes to their top recruit. I wish him the best in whatever he does, but going out this way is not very classy IMO.

I disagree completely with you two. If UND wanted BB for four years he should have been taken out of high school, of course that still isn't a guarentee but gives a program a better chance at getting four years from a star player.

If you saw any lack of effort out of BB I guess I could see some resentment, but I don't think that is the case.

The only reason Parise handled it so well (early) is that the Devils made it such an easy choice for him.

Well this isnt official yet so im not sure what to think. But to leave the sioux for ahl most likely isnt a good choice.

He will be getting paid to do what he loves...play a game.

While I agree the timing isn't the greatest, you can't blame the guy (if true).

If you want the top players in college hockey on your team, then you must also understand that there's always a possibility that they'll leave early to turn pro. Would you rather have a team filled with players that the NHL doesn't want?

I got used to Sioux leaving after NCAA championships in the early 80s. Have Sioux players regularly left early through the 90s when they weren't winning championships?

The Sioux seem to be taking up a lot of space in the uscho headlines on the front page this summer. Not a good thing.

The Timing for Bo may be at a all time high - a 7th round draft choice, now getting a good offer after two great years - Can't blame him

Would I complain that I got to watch Eddie play for one year ... Never !

That being said ...I hope he returns & graduates

But you can't blame them one bit

I wonder if he would of / or will Win the Hobey ? & how much more would that bring him down the road ?

If you want the top players in college hockey on your team, then you must also understand that there's always a possibility that they'll leave early to turn pro. Would you rather have a team filled with players that the NHL doesn't want?

Gee that isn't a loaded question. Its like asking do you want the best or a load of crap. Do you want the hot girl or the really fat one. Laughing out loud PCM.

Of course we want the best.

I wish all the best to Bo (if he really goes), but I think he could have used another year of development. Honestly, of all the players that bolted early in recent years, the only ones I thought were truly ready were Hale & Parise.

The team will be fine. This just means that the lines get reshuffled and perhaps Canady breaks into playing regularly. Massen may now figure in above the 4th line, too.

The Sioux still have an experienced and talented team. They should still be contenders for another NC.

This is really going to hurt the depth of the team. This year's team is not going to be as explosive as we would have hoped. It just puts a sour taste in my mouth as a fan especially when a guy is going to leave college to play in the minors with a very minimal signing bonus. I think there is something deeper here, maybe he did not want to go to class anymore. I am just speculating though as I do not have any idea what kind of student he is. Parise I can understand leaving this makes ZERO sense to me! Why would you not want to get your degree and play another year of college hockey and a shot at the hobey and a NC. I think some of these guys underestimate how hard it really is to make it to the NHL

This is really going to hurt the depth of the team. This year's team is not going to be as explosive as we would have hoped. It just puts a sour taste in my mouth as a fan especially when a guy is going to leave college to play in the minors with a very minimal signing bonus. I think there is something deeper here, maybe he did not want to go to class anymore. I am just speculating though as I do not have any idea what kind of student he is. Parise I can understand leaving this makes ZERO sense to me! Why would you not want to get your degree and play another year of college hockey and a shot at the hobey and a NC. I think some of these guys underestimate how hard it really is to make it to the NHL

Maybe the kid wanted to play hockey at the next level.

Last season could have been hard for him to stomach not winning in the NCAA's.

I am sure there is something there and we will probably never know the answer either.

Man, maybe I'm just naive, or maybe I've just not been paying attention.

1. I haven't seen any numbers bandied about. How do we know he's only getting a minimal signing bonus, etc.

2. How do we know that Bo hasn't kept the coaches informed of what has been going on, and his desires, since last spring?

3. How do we know that Bo WON'T develop even better in the AHL than in college?

4. How do we know he isn't getting a better offer now than he would get under a new bargaining agreement?

If I miss any I'll add them later.

Here's my opinion. I think a guy probably can develop even better in a team's AHL affiliate than they can in college. They are playing more games (although less practice), and playing against better opponents and with better teammates (my opinion). If I'm right, maybe Bo thinks it is time to move up the development ladder. I think it is shortsighted to think that the only place a player can develop is in college.

Whatever $ Bo is being offered, it is apparently enough for him to make the decision.

You can't blame Bo for when a decision is made, most likely. The big club is responsible for what they offer and when. The player has to make the best decision for them when they have the chance to make that decision. Some of the best advice I was ever given in my life was that NO ONE else was going to look out for #1. Only me. I need to make the decisions for my life that are important to me. Don't blame Bo if the opportunity presents itself.

I'm extremely fortunate to have been able to watch one of the best Sioux players ever for the last 3 years. I'd love to have another year, but it doesn't look like it.

It's Bo's life, and none of us know what the right decision is for him. We'll have to see what he feels is best.

Man, maybe I'm just naive, or maybe I've just not been paying attention.

1. I haven't seen any numbers bandied about. How do we know he's only getting a minimal signing bonus, etc.

2. How do we know that Bo hasn't kept the coaches informed of what has been going on, and his desires, since last spring?

3. How do we know that Bo WON'T develop even better in the AHL than in college?

4. How do we know he isn't getting a better offer now than he would get under a new bargaining agreement?

If I miss any I'll add them later.

Here's my opinion. I think a guy probably can develop even better in a team's AHL affiliate than they can in college. They are playing more games (although less practice), and playing against better opponents and with better teammates (my opinion). If I'm right, maybe Bo thinks it is time to move up the development ladder. I think it is shortsighted to think that the only place a player can develop is in college.

Whatever $ Bo is being offered, it is apparently enough for him to make the decision.

You can't blame Bo for when a decision is made, most likely. The big club is responsible for what they offer and when. The player has to make the best decision for them when they have the chance to make that decision. Some of the best advice I was ever given in my life was that NO ONE else was going to look out for #1. Only me. I need to make the decisions for my life that are important to me. Don't blame Bo if the opportunity presents itself.

I'm extremely fortunate to have been able to watch one of the best Sioux players ever for the last 3 years. I'd love to have another year, but it doesn't look like it.

It's Bo's life, and none of us know what the right decision is for him. We'll have to see what he feels is best.

I think that was well put. I have heard the rumor of Bochenski going earlier in June so it doesn't surprise me all that much. So something has been in the works for some time.

I'm not against any players leaving early, but if BB does leave, the way he did it leaves his team in a tough situation. I highly doubt the Sens are pushing him to sign, although I can see him wanting to get what he can before the lockout. I can see the other side, but if you're going to leave the classy thing to do is give your team some warning so they can plan accordingly. I still wish BB the best and have a ton of respect for him. I just don't like players that decide to leave a month before the season starts.

jloos,

It is still July, more than 2 months before the season starts. In addition, we don't know how long the coaches have known about it. Perhaps the program has been planning this season without him for quite some time. Admittedly, it does throw off the "Lines for 2004-05" thread, but hopefully the fans can adjust.

I guess this is the attitude I thought Bochenski would have coming into this season. Here is a quote from Michigan's Al Montoya who decided to stay in school even though he was like the 6th pick. "It comes down to it, I've got some unfinished business at school I want to take care of," Montoya told the Journal News. "For development purposes I'm on the right track at Michigan to get to Madison Square Garden some day." That is very refreshing, props to Montoya. Yeah unfinished business like a good shot at a NC and working toward a college degree. To each their own but I think he is making a big mistake. Maybe he should call up Bryan Lundbohm another high scoring forward who left early or maybe Travis Roche.

I guess this is the attitude I thought Bochenski would have coming into this season. Here is a quote from Michigan's Al Montoya who decided to stay in school even though he was like the 6th pick. "It comes down to it, I've got some unfinished business at school I want to take care of," Montoya told the Journal News. "For development purposes I'm on the right track at Michigan to get to Madison Square Garden some day." That is very refreshing, props to Montoya. Yeah unfinished business like a good shot at a NC and working toward a college degree. To each their own but I think he is making a big mistake. Maybe he should call up Bryan Lundbohm another high scoring forward who left early or maybe Travis Roche.

I don't know him personally, but my feeling was that Bo was never a "bleed green" kind of guy. It's got to be hard to turn down the money of a pro contract, especially if you don't absolutely love the school where you are playing.

The AHL wouldn't sound too bad to me, if I could pull in a great salary and get a signing bonus. I guess it all comes down to whether a player wants to avoid the minors or not.

Any comparison of Montoya's decision and Bochenski's should include this information:

Bochenski's date of birth: 4/4/82

Montoya's date of birth: 2/13/85

Maybe Montoya would feel like he has a little less unfinished business if he were 22 years old, instead of the 19 that he is.