SiouxSports.com Forum

UND (4-3) vs Idaho (2-4) 12/1 3 PM

SWSiouxMN

Another loss to a team we should beat - this time at home!  

1 minute ago, SWSiouxMN said:

At this point, I'd rather see Marko or Jal over Walter.....

Agree - I have no idea why Walter would be in there in the last couple of minutes of a game like this! 

Just now, SWSiouxMN said:

Senior leadership needs to be called to the carpet on this one.  

Boy - I usually agree with you and acknowledge that Seales had a poor game and Avants wasn't at his best.  But I sure don't think they were the problem - much deeper issues!

Idaho played a decent zone which limited the shots by Avants and Seales.  We didn't shoot the 3 or free throws very well.  The middle of the zone was open at times but we would turn it over with the pass instead of taking the shot.  Idaho had a bunch of layups in the second half as our defense went south.  We need a bunch of our players to hit the weights.  Walter looks the same as his freshmen year.

3 minutes ago, Jerry said:

Idaho played a decent zone which limited the shots by Avants and Seales.  We didn't shoot the 3 or free throws very well.  The middle of the zone was open at times but we would turn it over with the pass instead of taking the shot.  Idaho had a bunch of layups in the second half as our defense went south.  We need a bunch of our players to hit the weights.  Walter looks the same as his freshmen year.

It was right there.  Not a single shot taken from that spot. 

That's been a gripe of mine for years and years and years.

2 hours ago, SWSiouxMN said:

It was right there.  Not a single shot taken from that spot. 

That's been a gripe of mine for years and years and years.

I’m pretty certain that Seales has killed zones from that area of the floor throughout his career.  I recall him doing it to E Wash and several others.  I call statements like that selective recall- just throw it out there, hoping no-one actually challenges it. The veterans had a tough day, no doubt. But this team got plenty of wide open looks for the shooters, but on this day, the shooters just didn’t make them.

If there is a concern from what I saw, it was defensively as the game wore.  Idaho was tougher with ball on offense, on their drives etc... UND was not physically tough on defense as the 2nd half wore on. You can encourage a kid to be tough, but if he’s a pussy now he’s probably a pussy always...its tough to change guys when comes to that stuff.  Toughness is more than just a strength and conditioning thing.

Also, Walter today had 4 really good assists that I saw, and you need some good passers against the zone.  Plus he has shown throughout his career he can hit perimeter shot, unfortunately it isn’t falling right now.

I’m not entirely sure what the expectations should be with this team considering there were 11 players that started the year having not played  D1 basketball.  I know this, if Rebraca has anything close to this game when he played against UVU or Montana State we probably win those.  But he has a good game today, but really needed some others to chip in like an Avants or a Seales or Brown or Moody, but they didn’t and now North Dakota has lost 3 in a row.  As far as I know we didn’t get the Fab 5 arriving out of all these 1st year players.  But there are some pieces, unfortunately there most likely will be a great deal of growing pains in the near term with hopes of this team hitting its stride, maybe not even this year, but probably next year.   

I think Hazekamp and Brooks need to play a little more.  

All of this is just my opinion.

2 hours ago, the green team said:

I’m pretty certain that Seales has killed zones from that area of the floor throughout his career.  I recall him doing it to E Wash and several others.  I call statements like that selective recall- just throw it out there, hoping no-one actually challenges it. The veterans had a tough day, no doubt. But this team got plenty of wide open looks for the shooters, but on this day, the shooters just didn’t make them.

If there is a concern from what I saw, it was defensively as the game wore.  Idaho was tougher with ball on offense, on their drives etc... UND was not physically tough on defense as the 2nd half wore on. You can encourage a kid to be tough, but if he’s a pussy now he’s probably a pussy always...its tough to change guys when comes to that stuff.  Toughness is more than just a strength and conditioning thing.

Also, Walter today had 4 really good assists that I saw, and you need some good passers against the zone.  Plus he has shown throughout his career he can hit perimeter shot, unfortunately it isn’t falling right now.

I’m not entirely sure what the expectations should be with this team considering there were 11 players that started the year having not played  D1 basketball.  I know this, if Rebraca has anything close to this game when he played against UVU or Montana State we probably win those.  But he has a good game today, but really needed some others to chip in like an Avants or a Seales or Brown or Moody, but they didn’t and now North Dakota has lost 3 in a row.  As far as I know we didn’t get the Fab 5 arriving out of all these 1st year players.  But there are some pieces, unfortunately there most likely will be a great deal of growing pains in the near term with hopes of this team hitting its stride, maybe not even this year, but probably next year.   

I agree that Hazekamp should get more playing time.  Bijiek runs the court well and has long arms but is ineffective in a half court game.  He would be good on a team that presses 40 minutes a game but not many teams do that.  We probably should have used him the last couple minutes in a full court press.  He played only 2 minutes today so the coaches are realizing he isn't ready for this level of competition.  He needs to gain 30-40 pounds.

On ‎12‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 7:59 PM, the green team said:

Is there example of this occurring, yes.  More times than not I don't feel that they are taking advantage of it when they should.  When Seales isn't in the middle, Rebraca and Walter should be licking their chops in that middle of the zone.  They have a shot that could kill a zone. 

I don't understand what's going on with Walter, I thought early in the year he was figuring it out but since he got hurt and hasn't been the same player.

I know that this was going to be a year of growth with so many new pieces.  I understand losing to UVU, but the MSU and Idaho ones are a little harder to stomach.  I thought they could potentially get around .500 this year if it all came together, like the last two times that Jones overhauled the roster.  They could still get there, no doubt, but there will be some peaks and valley along the way.

I like to see Brooks more as well, but as other have said, UND has a rotation problem.  Its funny because last year they didn't have the depth... now they do and have too many mouths to try and feed. 

When will UND get Stewart back because he is UND's best possible candidate for point guard. The problem is he's going to behind without playing beginning of the season. Moody and Brown are both off guards basically shooting outside guards. I also don't know much about Panoam he looks like he could be point guard but haven't seen him play much. Its pretty hard to know what we have for a team when you don't have point guard. I look at this team it could develop into fair team if they get good play from the point guard. There bigger than last year in the front line but here again its hard to tell how good they are until we get better guard play. 

Were small mid major program that is in cold weather climate and distance from major media its going to be difficult to recruit top talent. That being said UND has had some success with making to NCAA tournament 3 seasons ago and was one top 4 teams in Big Sky conference.. The switch to Summit will be better for fans and eventually for players once we get back to having rivalries get reestablished but this will take time and need for us to be in contention for the conference. In the short term it hurts on recruiting because were not playing in warmer weather places and closer to bigger media centers. But getting back to being Mid major team your going compete with top of division one teams every few years and rest of years is trying to find right group of players again to compete again. If you think were going being power house year in year out its not going to happen.

Tonight were sure seeing where we need a guard and I look at the turn overs its terrible. It also looks like team is walking in slow motion was this road trip of hell for them. I can't believe utrgv is that much better than us if it is they will be in NCAA tournament.