SiouxSports.com Forum

Washington vs Auburn

Fry Bread

Basically a home game for Auburn. Over 90% of fans are Auburn fans. Tough environment for Washington. Next week Washington will have the home field advantage. 

Browning has made mistakes thus far, attributable to pressure. Only somewhat questionable weak spot so far for Washington is their offensive line, but I think Auburn is really just showing off their talented SEC defensive linemen.

UND will need to get pressure with some combination of front 4 like Auburn is. Tall, tall task of course. 

11 minutes ago, Sioux>Bison said:

We need to pull our starters after the first half if we can’t keep it close. No need to get all beat up for a meaningless game. We need to stay healthy for Sammy because that game is critical for the rest of the season.

UND has kept some of the FBS teams close 

2009 vs Texas Tech lost by 25

2010 vs Idaho lost 45-0

2010 vs NIU lost by 6

2011 vs Idaho lost by 30

2011 vs Fresno St lost by 5

2012 vs San Diego St lost by 8

2014 vs San Jose St lost by 32 

2015 vs Wyoming won by 11

2016 vs Bowling Green lost by 1

2017 vs Utah lost by 21

1-9 vs FBS with 4 losses by 1 score. 0-2 vs p5 teams 21 or less should be respectable, but to hell with moral victories. 

19 minutes ago, Sioux>Bison said:

We need to pull our starters after the first half if we can’t keep it close. No need to get all beat up for a meaningless game. We need to stay healthy for Sammy because that game is critical for the rest of the season.

I disagree.  We need to find success, even if it is against their 2's and 3's, then pull mid 4th in a blow out scenario.

• Upvote 3

So und is 1-9 vs fbs (11%)......the odds are not on und side to beat any fbs.  Playing against a top 10 team and that team losing week one ......I would say the chance  of an upset for this game would be .0002% chance.   This is a game und should bench the starters at the half.  There is literally no chance of an upset.  Keep the starters healthy for Sam.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, darell1976 said:

UND has kept some of the FBS teams close 

2009 vs Texas Tech lost by 25

2010 vs Idaho lost 45-0

2010 vs NIU lost by 6

2011 vs Idaho lost by 30

2011 vs Fresno St lost by 5

2012 vs San Diego St lost by 8

2014 vs San Jose St lost by 32 

2015 vs Wyoming won by 11

2016 vs Bowling Green lost by 1

2017 vs Utah lost by 21

1-9 vs FBS with 4 losses by 1 score. 0-2 vs p5 teams 21 or less should be respectable, but to hell with moral victories. 

Washington is not a winnable game. They are not a G5 team. The are not a bottom feeder P5 team. They are a legit FBS bowl game contender that was ranked in the top ten. You cannot compare Washington to any of those teams on that list. 

I hope we can still compete against their 2 and 3rd string players but at what point do we get our backups in the game to get just as important experience?

2 hours ago, gundy1124 said:

I disagree.  We need to find success, even if it is against their 2's and 3's, then pull mid 4th in a blow out scenario.

Why wait til the mid 4th? What do you consider a blowout? Down by 30, 40, or 50+? If we are down by over 30 after the half we need to consider keeping our starters healthy. There are bigger fish to fry than keeping a blowout under a 30-40 Point spread.

13 minutes ago, Sioux>Bison said:

Washington is not a winnable game. They are not a G5 team. The are not a bottom feeder P5 team. They are a legit FBS bowl game contender that was ranked in the top ten. You cannot compare Washington to any of those teams on that list. 

I hope we can still compete against their 2 and 3rd string players but at what point do we get our backups in the game to get just as important experience?

Texas Tech finished the previous season #12, and Utah was #21 in their previous season, we should have gotten destroyed by both teams but losing by 25 and 21 is respectable especially against Texas Tech when we were in our second year of moving up. I never said the Washington game was winnable but losing by 30+ points may not be in the cards. 

51 minutes ago, Sioux>Bison said:

Why wait til the mid 4th? What do you consider a blowout? Down by 30, 40, or 50+? If we are down by over 30 after the half we need to consider keeping our starters healthy. There are bigger fish to fry than keeping a blowout under a 30-40 Point spread.

Because it would be demoralizing to 'give up'.  Plus on the road, our roster isn't that big anyway.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, darell1976 said:

Texas Tech finished the previous season #12, and Utah was #21 in their previous season, we should have gotten destroyed by both teams but losing by 25 and 21 is respectable especially against Texas Tech when we were in our second year of moving up. I never said the Washington game was winnable but losing by 30+ points may not be in the cards. 

Texas Tech at it's peak under Mike Leach was not Washington.  They were a fun Big 12 team in their heyday that gave some big boys trouble and occasionally caught one.

If people want UND to be a playoff team, these are the games that UND needs to go into with a tough minded attitude and mindset. Sure, you are all right that UND will likely lose by a lot, but if you screw up how the message is sent to the team, you could see a negative effect the rest of the season.

Get out there, buckle up the chin strap, and play 60 minutes of physical, effort-filled UND football. If UND loses by 50, so be it, but to “give up” before halftime is just stupid. It would send the wrong message. Even though the odds are way against UND, they still better play to win the game. There’s a reason the games are still played and not just ran through modern software prediction programs. Anything different than playing to win is the mindset of an analytical loser and not an aggressive winner. I know which category I want UND’s football program to be in under Bubba. Yes, it’s very easy for the players to enter this game knowing they likely will lose, but if that’s all they are thinking about then Bubba has lost the goal/direction of the team.

Play to win every game and let the chips fall where they may.

• Upvote 3

39 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

If people want UND to be a playoff team, these are the games that UND needs to go into with a tough minded attitude and mindset. Sure, you are all right that UND will likely lose by a lot, but if you screw up how the message is sent to the team, you could see a negative effect the rest of the season.

Get out there, buckle up the chin strap, and play 60 minutes of physical, effort-filled UND football. If UND loses by 50, so be it, but to “give up” before halftime is just stupid. It would send the wrong message. Even though the odds are way against UND, they still better play to win the game. There’s a reason the games are still played and not just ran through modern software prediction programs. Anything different than playing to win is the mindset of an analytical loser and not an aggressive winner. I know which category I want UND’s football program to be in under Bubba. Yes, it’s very easy for the players to enter this game knowing they likely will lose, but if that’s all they are thinking about then Bubba has lost the goal/direction of the team.

This is the attitude i want for this program also!

55 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

Once again, I fully agree with your thoughts!!