SiouxSports.com Forum

Kennedy vs. Engelstad Foundation: GF herald feature

jdub27

11 minutes ago, Csonked Out said:

he was a politician, it's what they do. People may not like Kennedy but I think he may be onto something here. Why is this lady getting so defensive about this and going to the media so quick, that makes me raise an eyebrow.

Most individuals don't bit the hand that feeds them........or gives them free money. Not sure what he might be on to by pissing off those people. That makes me raise an eyebrow.

Her family has recently donated millions to UND and you think she cares about a few more bucks Kennedy wants from the Ralph?

Tax records show the Engelstad Foundation has donated more than $12 million to the UND Foundation since 2011. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Csonked Out said:

he was a politician, it's what they do. People may not like Kennedy but I think he may be onto something here. Why is this lady getting so defensive about this and going to the media so quick, that makes me raise an eyebrow.

I guess I would be a little upset at some of the things that were alleged to have been said by Kennedy.  Not quite understanding what her motive would be to make that up.  

• Upvote 3

5 minutes ago, Cratter said:

Her family has recently donated millions to UND and you think she cares about a few more bucks Kennedy wants from the Ralph?

I'm simply asking how much they are profiting off of UND currently? It's great they just donated Millions to UND, I just want to see the accounting records to make sure they aren't taking millions from UND in the process. Why else would someone rush to the media so fast? I'm not saying that is happening, but it is a question that deserves to be asked.

9 minutes ago, Csonked Out said:

I'm simply asking how much they are profiting off of UND currently? It's great they just donated Millions to UND, I just want to see the accounting records to make sure they aren't taking millions from UND in the process. Why else would someone rush to the media so fast? I'm not saying that is happening, but it is a question that deserves to be asked.

Fast?

Did you read the article?

She stated what her issues are with the President and when they first started.

The financial numbers you seek are already posted for you to view.

3 minutes ago, Cratter said:

It's almost impossible to get political bias out of people's minds.Anti Kennedy is anti GOP protect Kennedy

• Downvote 1

For all that they have donated to UND and the Grand Forks area, I am surprised people question their motives.  Guess if people questioned me or threatened a lawsuit after that I would tend to get fed up with that ungrateful nature.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, tnt said:

For all that they have donated to UND and the Grand Forks area, I am surprised people question their motives.  Guess if people questioned me or threatened a lawsuit after that I would tend to get fed up with that ungrateful nature.

Correct tnt. It is such a stretch to question the Engelstads motives. Trust the people who are cutting and demolishing this great University over the people who have given so much. Shame on you. 

13 hours ago, siouxfan512 said:

You'll say anything to throw a little hate towards anything relating to hockey, won't you?

BB playing in the Alerus Center just screams hatred towards hockey, doesn't it? Wow, you need to get a grip. 

Now, if you specifically want to talk about collegiate hockey, you likely know the direction I'll go. What I said in regards to BB was not that, though. Instead, it focused on the idea of more space/seating with the Alerus Center. 

Nevertheless, I know of several Big 10 schools and a successful school in Fargo, ND, whose models completely support the notion that DI hockey is of merely minimal importance to a overall successful athletic department (Hint: football #1, basketball #2 always).

UND's overall athletic department at the DI level has not been successful with their unique ignorant format; recent cutting of athletic programs probably is #1 as to support of this.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

8 minutes ago, Cratter said:

Fast?

Did you read the article?

She stated what her issues are with the President.

The numbers are posted for you to see already.

I did read it and just went back around to it to make sure I didn't miss anything. I'm not trying to start anything here but I do think it is important to not take every statement at face value. She has some sort of motivation for taking this public. Maybe the relationship is just that fractured because of Kennedy and maybe it is something else.

This structure was designed to benefit the University and it will continue to have money flow into it year in and year out. It is important that it continues to benefit the University and not turn into a financial strain because we aren't getting enough of the revenue stream. I firmly believe there is more to this story than what we have read so far.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, tnt said:

The lawsuit threat sounds to be more inlined with the NCAA nickname settlement, or that’s what I got from the article. 

I too, wouldn't be happy if the President of UND crapped on my deceased father:

"(He said) my dad made a bad deal when he first gave them this gift," she said, another comment Kennedy said he doesn't recall saying. "That he made a deal that only served him—that was said directly to me. How we don't act in the best interest of the arena or the university."

20 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

BB playing in the Alerus Center just screams hatred towards hockey, doesn't it? Wow, you need to get a grip. 

Now, if you specifically want to talk about collegiate hockey, you likely know the direction I'll go. What I said in regards to BB was not that, though. Instead, it focused on the idea of more space/seating with the Alerus Center. 

Nevertheless, I know of several Big 10 schools and a successful school in Fargo, ND, whose models completely support the notion that DI hockey is of merely minimal importance to a overall successful athletic department (Hint: football #1, basketball #2 always).

UND's overall athletic department at the DI level has not been successful with their unique ignorant format; recent cutting of athletic programs probably is #1 as to support of this.  

Wow it didnt take long for someone to top the previous dumbest most idiotic post of the year from earlier today but.... you just went out and achieved didn't you.

congrats. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, Frozen4sioux said:

Wow it didnt take long for someone to top the previous dumbest most idiotic post of the year from earlier today but.... you just went out and achieved didn't you.

congrats. 

You're quite good at providing unfounded criticism. It would be neat, however, if you could actually explain such criticism. It's easy to throw rocks but not all that easy to withstand the retaliation.

Your views of UND athletics and, in general, successful college athletics are most certainly outdated and distorted.

18 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

You're quite good at providing unfounded criticism. It would be neat, however, if you could actually explain such criticism. It's easy to throw rocks but not all that easy to withstand the retaliation.

Your views of UND athletics and, in general, successful college athletics are most certainly outdated and distorted.

Big 10?... are you insane? If you even for a second think that UND can or even SHOULD be modeled after the B1G model of athletic programs you are fishing for a life of dissapointment.

Football will NEVER be the #1 sport at UND, just live with that instead of holding onto the desperate hate filled jealousy. Football will not benefit by the demise of Hockey as you so pathetically exude.

Football can benefit by the success of the Hockey program... not its relegation.

and by the way the only chance in h e double hockey sticks of getting close to the B1G.... is in..... prepare yourself...

Hockey.

Attitudes like this guy is the root of fan base division. Embrace who we are, a hockey school. With a growing football program that can hope to succed on a smaller stage at some point. The best BB can ever hope for is to be a 64th team joke for 1st game upset. Anything further is mecer possible. Its just fact.

It is what it is. Deal with it or dont but you can't change it.

• Downvote 1

Kennedy is a successful businessman and politician, both of which require negotiating skills and the latter, significant fundraising. That makes me question some of the accusations thrown at him, however also leads me to believe the REA didn't take kindly to the request to renegotiate the contract between the two. 

1 minute ago, jdub27 said:

Kennedy is a successful businessman and politician, both of which require negotiating skills and the latter, significant fundraising. That makes me question some of the accusations thrown at him, however also leads me to believe the REA didn't take kindly to the request to renegotiate the contract between the two. 

If Kennedy did make even some of the statements claimed such as "Ralph only making a deal that benefited him" in the face of what the University has recieced from the family.... wooof.

Then even if there is merit to his objective, it would be almost impossible for him to recover I would think.

1 minute ago, jdub27 said:

I was thinking the same thing, you just worded it better. I question the rush to go public in all this but I also want to compare our lease to NDSU's lease of the Fargo dome. Are they comparable in revenue splits or is there a big gap between the 2? Remember, back in 2002 there was a lawsuit between NDSU and the City of Fargo so it isn't uncommon in these types of situations.

13 minutes ago, Frozen4sioux said:

Big 10?... are you insane? If you even for a second think that UND can or even SHOULD be modeled after the B1G model of athletic programs you are fishing for a life of dissapointment.

Football will NEVER be the #1 sport at UND, just live with that instead of holding onto the desperate hate filled jealousy. Football will not benefit by the demise of Hockey as you so pathetically exude.

Football can benefit by the success of the Hockey program... not its relegation.

and by the way the only chance in h e double hockey sticks of getting close to the B1G.... is in..... prepare yourself...

Hockey.

Attitudes like this guy is the root of fan base division. Embrace who we are, a hockey school. With a growing football program that can hope to succed on a smaller stage at some point. 

It is what it is. Deal with it or dont but you can't change it.

I don't plan to change it nor do I plan for it to change otherwise; however, I do expect it to continue drowning UND in division I due to a division II mindset. No one around UND (particularly the "fans") can even comprehend change. The overly-conservative division II mindset is still at-large.

The athletic arrangement at UND, including the REA inc. revenue sharing agreement, is not conducive to overall DI success. It's not the hockey program I specifically blame; rather, it's the emphasis on the REA and Engelstad family - including the current revenue sharing agreement that is appropriately under the microscope today. 

It doesn't have to be a "B1G model"; NDSU's model also works far better than UND's. Montana does real well. South Dakota State and South Dakota are both doing relatively well. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, UND-FB-FAN said:

I don't plan to change it nor do I plan for it to change otherwise; however, I do expect it to continue drowning UND in division I due to a division II mindset. No one around UND (particularly the "fans") can even comprehend change. The athletic arrangement at UND, including the REA inc. revenue sharing agreement, is not conducive to overall DI success. It's not the hockey program I specifically blame; rather, it's the emphasis on the REA and Engelstad family - including the current revenue sharing agreement that is appropriately under the microscope today. 

It doesn't have to be a "B1G model"; NDSU's model also works far better than UND's. Montana does real well. South Dakota State and South Dakota are both doing relatively well. 

NDSU, SDSU, USD and Montana?... Shoot for the moon all-star. 

But theres no reason that UND can't achieve such mediocre heights as you aspire to.

WITH the current REA situation.

I guarantee you, without the revenue the UND athletics DOES receive from REA, there would be a much more dire budgetary crisis in the athletic department.  D1.... that would be a pipe dream, even at the D1jv level.

THE REA situation does not cost UND athletics money. If you cant understand that I dont know how you get through the day. 

Have long posited the UND will have a donated fb stadium on the former Ray Richards course.  This prediction has been brutalized here, but if it is comes to pass, Kennedy would absolutely need to renegotiate the football part of the payments to the REA.  Any President would do that.  McGarry would look so parochial, as if she doesn’t have UND’s best interest at heart.

UND Fb would need to be a cash cow too.  The terms of the REA contract make hockey premiere by default.  Without this change, FB is no more important than women’s soccer with much more expenses.