SiouxSports.com Forum

Hawk's opinions on the Summit League Tourney in SF

kiyoat

22 hours ago, UND92 said:

So do you agree with the SL policy of letting those who currently have tickets to be able to keep the same tickets each year?  Shouldn't each team be allotted like 1,000 tickets to sell to their fan base and return them to General Sales if not sold.  I don't think the same teams/fans should get the premium seats every year.  Whoever wins the conference should get premium seats first. 

I have the same seats every year for the NCHC Frozen Faceoff.  And I'm happy that I do.......

8 minutes ago, bincitysioux said:

I have the same seats every year for the NCHC Frozen Faceoff.  And I'm happy that I do.......

Do you purchase the same tickets every year when they go on sale or are you Guaranteed those tickets and they are not available to others to purchase?  Sounds like the SL tickets are guaranteed to the same people each year.

Summit league tournament history, since moving and the two XDSU's becoming eligible is below. The regular season league winner is in bold letters, the SLT championship game with the winner listed first is below. As you can see, SDSU has been at the top of the league for a while now. As has NDSU. Neither are "sneaking" in to the NCAA birth from the 5 - 8 spot.

SDSU has gone to the NCAA tournament 4 times. Twice we have been the 2 seed (2015-16 we shared the regular season title with WIU but lost the tie breaker). We have gone one time as a 1 seed and last year, we were a 4 seed. I get UND fans, and even some USD fans complaining, but NDSU fans complaining? NDSU have gone 3 times from Sioux Falls. Including an upset of 1 seed SDSU in 2014-15.

The tournament is the highest drawing mid-major tournament in the country. That includes drawing larger crowds then the MVC last season. The MVC still had Wichita last year, WSU filled the place. We have seen years when SDSU was not in the title game. Including last year's women's title game between IUPUI and WIU. That game still drew over 5,000. In 2010 and 2011 neither XDSU were in the championship game. Both games had over 5,000 in attendance (at the old Arena). SDSU's "home court" advantage is overblown. Yes we beat out 1 seed USD last year. A rivalry game, SDSU were the hottest team in the league at the end of the season and SDSU had the best player in the league (Mike Daum). That will sometimes give you that result. 

To those USD fans posting. Funny how I don't hear a lot of complaints from SDSU fans who watched our 1 seeded women falling to 5 seeded USD a few years back.

UND will be fine in the Summit and I expect, if UND are a high seed, your fans will travel better then NDSU. A school that sends a few hundred fans to the tournament when they are a 1 or 2 seed. The only thing that needs to change at the SLT, get rid of the 2 year ticket buying policy and adjust the days to allow for those schools further away to travel better on the weekend. A Sunday night title game would be perfect. The problem is that ESPN still dictates for TV.

As for schools leaving because of the tournament? IUPUI and Oakland both left the league because geographically they fit better in the Horizon. It is the same reason UND is leaving the Big Sky. Geographically it makes sense. IPFW will do the same if they get a call from the HL. It is a much better fit for them. UMKC left for a few reason but the biggest, ORU and Oakland were leaving and they feared the Summit was dying. Bad move, now UMKC want back in.   

2008-09 North Dakota State (16-2)

North Dakota State (1) Oakland (3)

2009-10 Oakland (17-1)

Oakland (1) IUPUI (2)

2010-11 Oakland (17-1)

Oakland (1) Oral Roberts (2)

2011-12 Oral Roberts (17-1)

South Dakota State (2) Western Illinois (4)  

2012-13 South Dakota State/Western Illinois (13-3)

South Dakota State (1) North Dakota State (3)

2013-14 North Dakota State (12-2)

North Dakota State (1) Fort Wayne (2)

2014-15 South Dakota State/North Dakota State (12-4)

North Dakota State (2) South Dakota State (1)

2015-16 South Dakota State/Fort Wayne (12-4)

South Dakota State (2) North Dakota State (5)

2016-17 South Dakota (12-4)

South Dakota State (4) Omaha (3)

I wish the days of the tournament were better but obviously TV dictates that. The one silver lining is only the Saturday game actually interferes with any hockey games, so people won't be forced to choose. 

I don't see a reason to change the location, they do a good with it in Sioux Falls. I won't be surprised at a less than stellar turnout from UND fans the first couple years until they fully understand and get behind it.

New to this board - thought this would be a great place for first post. 

I am a UND grad and live in SF. The city, which is mostly SDSU and USD grads, makes this tournament an event that is worth attending. I hope our fab base embraces it and enjoys the experience. I, for one am thrilled that UND will soon be a SL member. I’ve seen lots of SL basketball. We will need to improve to compete for championships. 

• Upvote 1

Dates - the championship games are dictated by TV and can be a problem for professionals that would have to take time off work. But the weekend first and second round games are perfect for travel. 

Tickets - this is a problem. The SL needs to do address this. Currently SDSU and USD fans have all the best seats locked up. I am able to get sponsor tickets but if not for this, my best option may be a deep on the baseline or upper tier. The two year commitment is just wrong. 

• Upvote 1

On ‎12‎/‎27‎/‎2017 at 12:42 PM, UND92 said:

Do you purchase the same tickets every year when they go on sale or are you Guaranteed those tickets and they are not available to others to purchase?  Sounds like the SL tickets are guaranteed to the same people each year.

Been guaranteed same seats every year since it started.  I don't know if that will change with the move to the Xcel Center, but I would assume not.

On 12/29/2017 at 11:46 AM, jacksfan29 said:

The tournament is the highest drawing mid-major tournament in the country.

Yup.  No reason to move it IMO.  Don't mess with success.

We have seen years when SDSU was not in the title game. [...] That game still drew over 5,000.

I agree that many of the Jacks fans show up to support the tourney regardless of participants.  I applaud that dedication.  Another reason not to move the location.

SDSU's "home court" advantage is overblown.

Sorry, but you can give data all you want.  When 90% of the crowd is one team, you've got an advantage.  Why deny it?  Own it.  I don't blame the Jacks fans for supporting their team.  They are the primary reason the tournament has had the success it has had.  The Yotes have been slow to reciprocate, but are starting to come around.  Last year the SDSU/USD game was LIT!

To those USD fans posting. Funny how I don't hear a lot of complaints from SDSU fans who watched our 1 seeded women falling to 5 seeded USD a few years back.

Since I'm the only USD fan in this discussion, feel free to read all of my posts.  You will see that I don't complain about the Jack's "home-court" advantage.  I'm focused on the exclusionary ticketing practices.  Geez, you guys sure are sensitive!   I have heard a few Yote fans that whine about the Jacks' advantage, but most of us just wish the Sioux Falls Yotes fans would get with the program.

UND will be fine in the Summit and I expect, if UND are a high seed, your fans will travel better then NDSU.

I agree.  I have looked at Attendance numbers for all the SL teams plus UND, and women's sports like WBB, Volleyball and Softball have all been well-attended and consistently attended up in Grand Forks, despite being labelled a "Hockey only" school.  Both BB teams have been competitive recently, too.

The only thing that needs to change at the SLT, get rid of the 2 year ticket buying policy and adjust the days to allow for those schools further away to travel better on the weekend. A Sunday night title game would be perfect. The problem is that ESPN still dictates for TV.

This was the major point of my starting this thread.  Thanks for agreeing with me.

As for schools leaving because of the tournament? IUPUI and Oakland both left the league because geographically they fit better in the Horizon. It is the same reason UND is leaving the Big Sky. Geographically it makes sense. IPFW will do the same if they get a call from the HL. It is a much better fit for them. UMKC left for a few reason but the biggest, ORU and Oakland were leaving and they feared the Summit was dying. Bad move, now UMKC want back in.   

Agree on all these points.  (Yuck, now I have to take a bath)

And lest you think that I'm going soft:  For the record, many of the Jacks fans I have encountered at games are some of the most obnoxious, patronizing, thinned-skinned, conceited, rudest, poorest examples of human beings that I have ever met.  Many of them are great, but it doesn't make up for all the turds.

I hope the men's and women's teams curb-stomp the Jacks' smug faces this season.  Four times.  Go Yotes, and keep the SLT in SF!

On 12/15/2017 at 9:37 AM, kiyoat said:

[...] it is often irritating when Jacks fans (which seem to be on every message board around but this one) come on to the USD message board and arrogantly lecture us on what the correct worldview is, and to remind us that they are superior in every way.  [...]

Sorry guys.  I guess I jinxed your board with this post....  Must have drawn Rabbit posters here.  He probably couldn't help it.  You know, like rabbits are compelled to eat their own poop.

• 2 months later...
24 minutes ago, UNDBIZ said:

Summit League championships today.

WBB - SDSU vs USD

MBB - SDSU vs USD

Has to be one of the highest attended mid major conference tournaments in the country, if the the highest.  How crazy is it that there will be not only 10,000 fans at the championship game for the mens game, but there will be likely close to that for a women's mid major championship game played on a Tuesday afternoon!!

Can't wait for UND to be a part of the best mid major tournament in the country next year!!

• Upvote 3

That tournament is just about the biggest thing to hit SD since Mt Rushmore.  But bet they don’t fill up many hotel rooms, because most of the attendance is local.  The hockey regional could be a much bigger economic impact, as most spectators will be from out-of-state.

• Upvote 1

On 3/6/2018 at 11:57 AM, Siouxperfan7 said:

Has to be one of the highest attended mid major conference tournaments in the country, if the the highest.  How crazy is it that there will be not only 10,000 fans at the championship game for the mens game, but there will be likely close to that for a women's mid major championship game played on a Tuesday afternoon!!

Can't wait for UND to be a part of the best mid major tournament in the country next year!!

Summit is a low major.  But yeah, it's a lit tourney.  Sioux Falls knows how to throw down. 

2 hours ago, SiouxVolley said:

That tournament is just about the biggest thing to hit SD since Mt Rushmore.  But bet they don’t fill up many hotel rooms, because most of the attendance is local.  The hockey regional could be a much bigger economic impact, as most spectators will be from out-of-state.

While much of the attendance is local, the hotels fill up anyway. I live 80 minutes away from Sioux Falls and have attended every Summit League Tourney held in Sioux Falls (10). The fans I know who live in Brookings (easy 40-minute drive) stay in Sioux Falls for the tourney.  I book my hotel room at the Sheraton for the next year when I'm checking out at the completion of the current tourney.  The Sheraton is attached by indoor walkways to the Premier Center and the Sheraton sells out for the tourney.  Other hotels near the venue fill up too.  UND basketball fans may want to consider booking rooms now for next year's tourney (stay as close to the venue as possible -- beer is sold in the Premier Center  :).  Even if a fan's team doesn't make the championship, it's still great basketball and the start of March Madness, the best time of the year for BB fans.

• Upvote 1